Author Topic: Fanatic Falcon 14 ?  (Read 2461 times)

SsupCpd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fanatic Falcon 14 ?
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:08:58 PM »
What is the feedback on this board? I am after a fast paddling board that is good upwind through chop and swell, and handles well and a load of fun the other way too.

The blurb is that the 2016 14' is pretty good in the ocean, and the 12'6 is better in the waves.

Other options would be the SIC Bullet or Naish Javelin.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatic Falcon 14 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »
The fastest board upwind and in chop and swell is the Starboard ACE. Its also blisteringly fast going the other way, but its not a step back and surf from the tail board, but I doubt the Fanatic is either.

That said we've got strong paddlers that make the Fanatic 14" work well in those conditions. Its really a question of how fast you want to go for the effort. 

Really the only way to find out is to trial the boards and see which one you enjoy the most.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »
The fastest board upwind and in chop and swell is the Starboard ACE. Its also blisteringly fast going the other way, but its not a step back and surf from the tail board

Yes, the SB Ace is amazingly fast upwind - but does bob and roll in side chop.  Is kind of an acquired taste - and often love or hate.  Personally we like more of a surfy type feel when we point and go DW - but everyone has their own preferences.  Often you can make any board work ok if you invest the time.

The Falcon is an ok board as well as the Bullet and Glide.  Really depends what you like - as each is a little different than the other.  Often just comes down to personal preference and what is available - and the best value at the time.  Right now in our area we have a lot of different boards for sale on CL - here are a couple -
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »
Do you want to do serious ocean racing, or are you after a board that makes ocean paddling fun? It might help if we knew exactly what you want to do most with your board, and what skill level you are. For instance, I wouldn't recommend a Starboard Ace to a novice, but an expert whose main priority is speed in mild chop might find it just what they want.

I haven't got much experience of the Falcons. I paddled and downwinded a 2014 14ft quite a bit, and I've paddled the 2016 12-6. I thought the 14 was good - and fast - downwind, and a useful all-rounder in other respects, but I really didn't like the 2016 12-6, finding it surprisingly slow, although it surfed quite well. So I think that if you want a falcon you might benefit from demoing the exact model you are thinking of. The different widths and different years are quite different from each other. A friend of mine downwinded the 2016 14x24.5 and went well on it in 1-2ft bumps. But he is a pretty competent racer.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Never tried the 2016, but I've paddled the heck out of the 2014-15 Falcons, both the 14x27 and the 14x24. They're both great for upwind and downwind- especially in "downbreeze" and "off-angle downwind" conditions. They let you make use of any wave energy going somewhat in your direction, even if the bumps aren't big and lined up enough to get proper glides. The narrow one can maintain a higher average speed and is more competitive for racing, but it definitely requires focus to balance on in rough water.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal