Author Topic: 2016 Surftech Bark Vapor 14ft review  (Read 36239 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Surftech Bark Vapor 14ft review
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »
Considering the guy who owns those boards moves the most Starboard product in the country, and is one of the top dealers of SB in the world, then he might have a bit of wiggle room. Having a gigantic warehouse to store product doesn't hurt either  ;)

http://star-board-sup.com/2016/from-a-starboard-dealers-perspective/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:15:06 PM by robon »

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 06:04:59 AM »
in a nut shell, its half "commander" and half "dominator." trust me.... I've been wishing for this shape all year! more rocker please
It doesn't need more rocker. I thought it would too, but it doesn't. It is less technical to Downwind than the Bullet V2.

wanting this board for different reasons, been surfing my prone for a year and its damn fun! always wanted my commander to have a squared off tail with hard rails in the rear.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:13:37 AM by NXLVL »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:24 AM »
Great pics! If you wanted enhanced surfing in the Vapor, I'd start by reducing the volume and width of the tail rather than adding more rocker. The Bullet V2 doesn't have much more rocker but surfs better because it has a thin narrow square tail so you can sink a rail at the back to stall and turn. Of course, if you go too far in reducing tail volume then you end up with other problems so it's a fine balance...

Overall, I think Joe has come up with a pretty magic design. But try it for yourself and let me know what you think.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 04:27:39 AM »
Area......what's your rider stats as in weight and height?

And, if you had to keep one for all round ocean use eg touring, racing, DW which one would you keep...the V2 or the Vapour?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »
I'm 175lbs plus wetsuit etc, and 5ft 9" tall. But a friend of mine who is around 6ft 3 I think tried the Vapor and agreed with me about the stability. I think you'd need to be a very big unit to fail to find trim on the Vapor - the broad planing nose and fairly full volume tail will make it tolerant of a wide range of weights.

If I had to choose between the V2 and the Vapor and could only have one, I think I'd choose the Vapor. It is more versatile. The V2 surfs a bit better, and it's usefully lighter, and I prefer the graphics of the V2, but otherwise I'd give the nod to the Vapor I think. There isn't a huge amount in it though. In the UK the Vapor is about £1k cheaper than the V2, which makes it seem like a performance bargain.

Now, if you asked me to choose between the V1 and the Vapor, that might be more tricky. The V1 is a no-compromise DW board and so will cope with truly substantial conditions. I've not yet had the Vapor out in very serious DW bumps yet (which to me means chest to head-high bumps+ with troughs where the paddler in front will disappear completely) so I don't know how it would cope. But who knows... The V2 doesn't shine in those conditions. The amount of footwork required gets tiring and slows you down.

But the impossible equation - a board that is really great both in fłat water and downwind - doesn't exist. I don't think it can. So you choose where you want the compromise I be. The Vapor's compromise is in pure flat water speed, like the V2.

I do think that Joe Bark has laid down quite a challenge to Mark Raaphorst with the Vapor. The V2 and Vapor are pretty much aimed at the same paddlers. But in the markets where the Vapor is a lot cheaper than the V2, you have to ask yourself why anyone would buy one over a Vapor, I think. In the markets where the SIC is cheaper, well there the issue becomes much more difficult because the V2 is full carbon and usefully lighter. I don't understand the pricing in the markets where the SIC SCC construction boards are cheaper than the Barks. That doesn't make much sense to me, although I do wonder if 2015 SICs are being compared to the 2016 Vapor.

I keep being astonished at how good the handling of the Vapor is. It's a very friendly board. If you are reasonably comfortable on boards like the M14 in decent size chop (eg. knee-height), then your balance skills will be easily good enough for the Vapor I think. It's generally nice to paddle as well, for general ocean mooching.

It would be worth trying the 2016 All Star too, for what you describe. And the Naish Maliko. There's a rumour that a 28" wide Maliko might be on the way, which would suit a lot of people I think. The new JL board looks interesting too (the Sidewinder).

I've put a kick pad on my Vapor, and changed the fin out, so have for it tuned for bigger bumps and surf. I'll post a pic of the setup when I've got some light to take a photo.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
But in the markets where the Vapor is a lot cheaper than the V2, you have to ask yourself why anyone would buy one over a Vapor, I think. In the markets where the SIC is cheaper, well there the issue becomes much more difficult because the V2 is full carbon and usefully lighter. I don't understand the pricing in the markets where the SIC SCC construction boards are cheaper than the Barks. That doesn't make much sense to me, although I do wonder if 2015 SICs are being compared to the 2016 Vapor.

Area10, you are correct. My comments were in relation with some 2015 stock of the V2 still left at 2015 pricing.
Here the 2016 V2 is about the same price than the Vapor depending where and how do you source.

So I guess that a full SIC quiver would read:

1) FX14 or X14 Pro
2) Bullet V2
3) Bullet V1

But a Bark full quiver would read:
1) D2
2) Vapor
3) missing board for big conditions

Rogue:
1) Race 14
2) Downwind 14
The Downing looks like it can take big conditions

Jimmy Lewis:
1) Uboat or Sidewinder (unknown)
2) Rail (unknown)
3) M-14

OR
1) Uboat
2) Sidewinder or Rail
3) M-14

and so on so forth with other brands...
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
Yes, that's a good way of looking at it -except that maybe the Vapor IS the big conditions DW board. I haven't found the limits of it yet. But I was just being cautious in my assessment because I haven't had it out in humongous inductions yet. But probably the vast majority of people outside of the DW hotspots like Hawaii or Cape Town will never go out in conditions with chest-high etc bumps. Most of the DW videos here show conditions no bigger than about knee-to thigh.

So, using your scheme it would be, for Bark:

1. D2 (flat water race)
2. Bark Downwinder (small DW/Flatwater/all conditions touring crossover)
3. Vapor (ocean racing/all conditions DW).

It's kinda odd to be thinking about a fairly flat rocker board in terms of hefty DW conditions, but there's something about the way that the Vapor sits high in the bump that means that pearling doesn't seen to be an issue unless you totally screw it up - and then the nose seems to just keep on ploughing anyway. But I'll report back when I've taken it out in very substantial bumps. I can say at the moment that it copes with stuff up to thigh high fine, because that's the biggest I've tried it in. So if you DW with DJ or Offshore for instance, the Vapor would be a good choice, I'd have thought.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:21:08 AM by Area 10 »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
Yes, that's a good way of looking at it -except that maybe the Vapor IS the big conditions DW board. I haven't found the limits of it yet. But I was just being cautious in my assessment because I haven't had it out in humongous inductions yet. But probably the vast majority of people outside of the DW hotspots like Hawaii or Cape Town will never go out in conditions with chest-high etc bumps. Most of the DW videos here show conditions no bigger than about knee-to thigh.

So, using your scheme it would be, for Bark:

1. D2 (flat water race)
2. Bark Downwinder (small DW/Flatwater/all conditions touring crossover)
3. Vapor (ocean racing/all conditions DW).

It's kinda odd to be thinking about a fairly flat rocker board in terms of hefty DW conditions, but there's something about the way that the Vapor sits high in the bump that means that pearling doesn't seen to be an issue unless you totally screw it up - and then the nose seems to just keep on ploughing anyway. But I'll report back when I've taken it out in very substantial bumps. I can say at the moment that it copes with stuff up to thigh high fine, because that's the biggest I've tried it in. So if you DW with DJ or Offshore for instance, the Vapor would be a good choice, I'd have thought.

Good to know.
As discussed the Downwinder/V2 would cover most of my downbreezing/downwinding.
When a front comes in here, it is not so much the height (usually less than shoulder high) but the steepness, confusion and the short period than can prevent you from humming along.

Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
"But probably the vast majority of people outside of the DW hotspots like Hawaii or Cape Town will never go out in conditions with chest-high etc bumps. Most of the DW videos here show conditions no bigger than about knee-to thigh."

I agree in large part, but most people who paddle aren't hanging out on this forum either, and some that do don't post videos. The rougher it gets, the fewer pictures I take. I did post a few pics of a bit of a downwinder I did on a lake, and the pictures made the swell and waves look about 1 to 2 feet high, but I was in swell that was chest high easy that day multiple times. I've been out in OH conditions on boats and my board inland. There are groups of paddlers doing DW'ers on the west coast and Great lakes that are going out in chest to OH conditions. I think it's more common than most people realize, but definitely not the majority who do it, but good to know the Vapor is up to the task.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2016, 01:21:38 PM »
I'm 175lbs plus wetsuit etc, and 5ft 9" tall. But a friend of mine who is around 6ft 3 I think tried the Vapor and agreed with me about the stability. I think you'd need to be a very big unit to fail to find trim on the Vapor - the broad planing nose and fairly full volume tail will make it tolerant of a wide range of weights.

If I had to choose between the V2 and the Vapor and could only have one, I think I'd choose the Vapor. It is more versatile. The V2 surfs a bit better, and it's usefully lighter, and I prefer the graphics of the V2, but otherwise I'd give the nod to the Vapor I think. There isn't a huge amount in it though. In the UK the Vapor is about £1k cheaper than the V2, which makes it seem like a performance bargain.

Now, if you asked me to choose between the V1 and the Vapor, that might be more tricky. The V1 is a no-compromise DW board and so will cope with truly substantial conditions. I've not yet had the Vapor out in very serious DW bumps yet (which to me means chest to head-high bumps+ with troughs where the paddler in front will disappear completely) so I don't know how it would cope. But who knows... The V2 doesn't shine in those conditions. The amount of footwork required gets tiring and slows you down.

But the impossible equation - a board that is really great both in fłat water and downwind - doesn't exist. I don't think it can. So you choose where you want the compromise I be. The Vapor's compromise is in pure flat water speed, like the V2.

I do think that Joe Bark has laid down quite a challenge to Mark Raaphorst with the Vapor. The V2 and Vapor are pretty much aimed at the same paddlers. But in the markets where the Vapor is a lot cheaper than the V2, you have to ask yourself why anyone would buy one over a Vapor, I think. In the markets where the SIC is cheaper, well there the issue becomes much more difficult because the V2 is full carbon and usefully lighter. I don't understand the pricing in the markets where the SIC SCC construction boards are cheaper than the Barks. That doesn't make much sense to me, although I do wonder if 2015 SICs are being compared to the 2016 Vapor.

I keep being astonished at how good the handling of the Vapor is. It's a very friendly board. If you are reasonably comfortable on boards like the M14 in decent size chop (eg. knee-height), then your balance skills will be easily good enough for the Vapor I think. It's generally nice to paddle as well, for general ocean mooching.

It would be worth trying the 2016 All Star too, for what you describe. And the Naish Maliko. There's a rumour that a 28" wide Maliko might be on the way, which would suit a lot of people I think. The new JL board looks interesting too (the Sidewinder).

I've put a kick pad on my Vapor, and changed the fin out, so have for it tuned for bigger bumps and surf. I'll post a pic of the setup when I've got some light to take a photo.

Thanks ...that's really useful. My good DW days will be for my M14.... although I just ain't ready for the size of bumps you ride.....a good while off yet. I had pretty much decided on the mid priced Allstar then I just realised how heavy it was going to be compared to the M14 which is under 13 kg. not going to buy a £2,400 carbon version...not good value in UK.

I am after a faster paddler than the M14 to take out on the sea, simply to cover a few miles for fitness and do light downwinders. The new Sunova Ocean Board looks interesting and it is 10 kg and a great price.....I could live with the handle probably for what I intend to use it for. But maybe the Vapour could be the one...I am 90 kg plus wettie and 5 10.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
Yeah, there are some wonderfully interesting boards around for 2016. The Vapor was definitely one of my best purchases. And I've bought a lot of boards. But these choices are always personal of course.

Luc - V1+Bark DWer may be a better combination than Bark DWer + V2.

And yes, the points about DWing conditions around the world are well taken. I always get asked why I don't take footage of the bigger conditions I go out in. The answer is that it's pretty hard to video it, and I'm usually thinking more about not breaking my neck than I am taking pictures. And losing/breaking the equipment. As  many of you will already appreciate, DWing in winds in the 30-45 knot range and over waist-high bumps is pretty tricky. There's just so much energy all around you. And it is exacerbated in the UK by the cold, and the gear you have to wear to cope with it. Getting good footage takes dedication, practice, and a lot of time. I'm hugely admiring of those who can do it well, especially if they are doing it just for the love of the sport.

Forums like this are great because you find out what is actually going on worldwide. But yes, what we read about here is just a small fraction of what is happening out there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:05:46 PM by Area 10 »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 03:27:03 PM »
Luc - V1+Bark DWer may be a better combination than Bark DWer + V2.

That was a typo should have read Bark Downwinder/V1 or M-14 as we discussed before.

Cheers,

Luc
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
Thanks ...that's really useful. My good DW days will be for my M14.... although I just ain't ready for the size of bumps you ride.....a good while off yet. I had pretty much decided on the mid priced Allstar then I just realised how heavy it was going to be compared to the M14 which is under 13 kg. not going to buy a £2,400 carbon version...not good value in UK.

I am after a faster paddler than the M14 to take out on the sea, simply to cover a few miles for fitness and do light downwinders. The new Sunova Ocean Board looks interesting and it is 10 kg and a great price.....I could live with the handle probably for what I intend to use it for. But maybe the Vapour could be the one...I am 90 kg plus wettie and 5 10.

coldsup - the Vapor, if just slightly less stable than the 14V2, sounds like a good choice for your uses based on our discussions.  Something not too expensive or heavy makes good sense - especially if the build quality is decent.  But other well priced boards like that Sunova you found may be promising as well.  Good luck in your search.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »

coldsup - the Vapor, if just slightly less stable than the 14V2, sounds like a good choice for your uses based on our discussions.  Something not too expensive or heavy makes good sense - especially if the build quality is decent.  But other well priced boards like that Sunova you found may be promising as well.  Good luck in your search.  :)

Thanks Eagle....wish I could demo boards but no chance of that where I am.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Just a quick note for people reading teh original review by Area10.
I have just acquired a used Bark Vapor (not the 2017 Ghost Carbon) and to my delight was 26 lbs on the scale.
So it looks like production weight might also reach the lower 10% limit (29 lbs less 10%) in at least one case :-)
Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal