Author Topic: 14' boards with clean lines?  (Read 20884 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 14' boards with clean lines?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
Yesterday I was looking at my Bark Downwinder on the top of my truck and once again noted how the clean lines and regular rocker made it so nice (at least in my eyes).
This is pretty much the opposite of my Starboard Race with "progressive" rocker and contorted shape.
The Boardworks Eradicator is also a board with somewhat clean lines if flatter and more angular than the Downwinder.

I was curious if you guys could think of other boards for flat water or open ocean that would have similar clean lines and shape as an attribute.
Luc--this has been a great topic.  The thing I liked most is seeing how many people think a board's appearance has an impact on the enjoyment of using it.  Also, how many people appreciate "clean lines".  And even though that's not defined, people seem to agree on the definition, based on the photos they've posted. 

I think some people think they should disregard appearance when choosing a board, especially if it means compromising on speed or other function.  This discussion should help them feel it's OK to factor in appearance, whether it's clean lines or even just color.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
It is interesting that a lot of the boards people have posted for having "clean lines" look similar.  I like many of them, and share others' feelings who've said a board's appearance is important.

Years later, I still think my Javelin is the most beautiful board I've seen.  I think "clean lines" describes it, although "sculptural" may be better.  The shape from the side is so flat it almost looks crude at first, but closer up it's anything but that.  Quiet, subtle design.  I also like that it's all white--no colors or wild graphics to distract from the form or make it look dated.  It's a dry martini of the board world, in contrast to some boards that are more like six-packs of caffeinated beer shoplifted from the convenience store. (Photos courtesy DJ):

I can't help but wonder... If you were driving along a canal and flipped the car into the water with the board on top... Think it'd just float and keep going?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 04:41:08 AM »
The first picture is of a SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC on top of a SICMaui F16v3.. Nice clean lines, and if I could only have one board for all conditions it would be the SIC Bullet 14.. or something like it. I'm always surprised when I look at them like this how when the noses are almost in the same position, how the fins are so close position-wise, and the tail of the F16 extends backwards...

The 2nd picture is a SICMaui Bullet 17-4 on top of a SICMaui F16v3.. Nice clean lines...

I think with two boards on the top of my car, if I flipped upside down into a canal, I may have a better chance than Pdxmike... or maybe not...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:02:54 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »
I can't help but wonder... If you were driving along a canal and flipped the car into the water with the board on top... Think it'd just float and keep going?
Remember, those photos are from DJ of his board and car, not mine (although I like the car almost as much as the board).  Also, he is from Australia, so these photos have already probably been flipped upside down for legibility.  If his car flipped upside down, it would end up rightside up from our perspective in the US.

The other cool thing in that photo--totally off subject--is the metal-rod-and-tennis-ball board stabilizer at the back.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »
Also, he is from Australia, so these photos have already probably been flipped upside down for legibility.  If his car flipped upside down, it would end up rightside up from our perspective in the US.

But, I think he'd still be on the wrong side of the road.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 12:26:46 PM »
Also, he is from Australia, so these photos have already probably been flipped upside down for legibility.  If his car flipped upside down, it would end up rightside up from our perspective in the US.

Good point.  There's a reason they call the way we do it here driving on the "right side". 

At least any drop bears dropping out of the koala trees will be deflected by the board before they get in through the sunroof.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

Good point.  There's a reason they call the way we do it here driving on the "right side". 

At least any drop bears dropping out of the koala trees will be deflected by the board before they get in through the sunroof.

Ha.. btw it's my last few weeks with my little Suzuki because I've traded it for a new 2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser.. Like this one..  :)

It's due in next month.. Can't wait..

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »

Ha.. btw it's my last few weeks with my little Suzuki because I've traded it for a new 2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser.. Like this one..  :)

It's due in next month.. Can't wait..

Those colors!?!   ;D

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »
Yes..  ;D

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
The clean lines of a downwind board...Continuous rocker...

The ugly, angular flatwater boards are just form following function...

To my eye, I find the 'clean lines' of an angular race board, I'll say the All Star, much more appealing then the fugly looking old Naish with it's unrefined huge boxed rails, funky nose and tail and that super blah white paint job.  Sure I understand the appeal of an old love, but when it comes to SUP design, time has ticked fast and what works is what looks good.  In SoCal conditions the Naish was a super pig, where I don't even need a ride to know that an FX, Vapor or All Star should all go awesome.

It seemed like a lot of paddlers around here drank the SIC koolaid and bought Bullets; not so surprisingly, most have been sold on as they found them just plain slow and a board designed for conditions we never get.  SIC clearly figured out it had nothing suitable between a pure downwind board and the flatwater X and ta dah, the FX.  Point being, when I look at the Bullet vs the FX, I see the FX as the prettier, faster board, all the way.  Put me in Maui, in the channel and I'll being singing a different tune.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:55:30 PM by baddog »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »
Gee DJ, you'll be anonymous... No one will ever recognize you in that... ;D.  Do you get to keep your personalized plates in OZ?   
Of course you'll have to sticker it up.. You know, the standard Kialoa decal on the hood (or is it a bonnet in OZ?).   While your at it, maybe some RailsaverPro on the doors, so you don't get any dings...  8)

All jesting aside, congrats.  A friend of ours has a FJ, and she loves it.. Typical Toyota bulletproof build quality..
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
The clean lines of a downwind board...Continuous rocker...

The ugly, angular flatwater boards are just form following function...

To my eye, I find the 'clean lines' of an angular race board, I'll say the All Star, much more appealing then the fugly looking old Naish with it's unrefined huge boxed rails, funky nose and tail and that super blah white paint job.  Sure I understand the appeal of an old love, but when it comes to SUP design, time has ticked fast and what works is what looks good.  In SoCal conditions the Naish was a super pig, where I don't even need a ride to know that an FX, Vapor or All Star should all go awesome.

It seemed like a lot of paddlers around here drank the SIC koolaid and bought Bullets; not so surprisingly, most have been sold on as they found them just plain slow and a board designed for conditions we never get.  SIC clearly figured out it had nothing suitable between a pure downwind board and the flatwater X and ta dah, the FX.  Point being, when I look at the Bullet vs the FX, I see the FX as the prettier, faster board, all the way.  Put me in Maui, in the channel and I'll being singing a different tune.

The Naish Javelin a "super pig"?   Maybe you're thinking of the original Glide V1.. In flat water..  If one can stay comfortably balanced on the original Jav, it is as fast as any current board its width.. (26").  Truth.   8)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
We miss our yellow truck.  It was so easy to find it in any parking lot.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 02:16:53 AM »
It's funny — couldn't imagine paddling an ugly flatwater board. Certain boards to me just seem out of balance like the Starboard Allstar. I'm not arguing if they work or not, but they don't seem pretty to me.

It's like looking at these two vessels. The first is a gorgeous thing; the other looks like a mutated chicken.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal