Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215600 times)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
Do you intend to lay up in both halves, trim each half, then bond together? I've seen that done on youtube with curved catamaran foils. He filled the inside with liquid foam.

Or do you intend to lay up in one piece and clamp the two halves of the mould together? That would be a lot harder but could be done with a precision-milled core and lot of trial and error.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
like I say it depends how much of the cavity gets filled up with the lay to get something suitably strong. Ether way both skins will be laid up separately and vacuum bagged/autoclaved and then joined so as to get maximum strength. With the adhesives you can get there is no real point in trying to lay it up in one go as it just over complicates it and does not achieve anything better.
 if I need to fill the voild at all I will probably machine a high density core to go inside, if there is not much space the two halfs  it will just get bonded

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
I've been trying to get the Fiberglass Supply guys to video or Facebook live their sessions where they demo and teach molding and bagging. Seems like a no brained but I've gotten no response. Wish I had the time to fly my butt up there with some gear to make it happen.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:32 AM »
ill try do some more facebook live vids when I get back home, people seam to love watching the cnc doing its thing.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 30, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
I want you to host a summer camp in your shop! Sign me up for summer 2018.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 30, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
I want you to host a summer camp in your shop! Sign me up for summer 2018.
i do get asked this quite regularly, if i ever get a bigger workspace i would happily do something.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 30, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
I've been trying to get the Fiberglass Supply guys to video or Facebook live their sessions where they demo and teach molding and bagging. Seems like a no brained but I've gotten no response. Wish I had the time to fly my butt up there with some gear to make it happen.

They've done a number of videos, some are kind of lame, some are great. I've been to a few of their demos--again, some are great, some are so-so. the basic challenge is that anything done with resin takes tree hours of set time.

Here's the video and doc page: http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/How_To/how_to.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:10:12 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2017, 10:08:06 PM »
Yes it couldn't be like a surfboard course were you glass with UV cure and you can sand 5 mins later and take the board home in two days  but you could learn the techniques

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »
Charlie's right

You'd just need to time it like a cooking show (I've been in Hollywood too long.) build two or three pieces and start an hour apart before the class, then you'd have the start, the middle and the finish to show in 30-45 minutes.

That's why they need a producer. Charlie buzz me before you do them, I'll bet we could help get you some cool stuff set up over there. Technically, I could run the rig via remote now.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
Yes it couldn't be like a surfboard course were you glass with UV cure and you can sand 5 mins later and take the board home in two days  but you could learn the techniques

Not just construction, but your graphics skills, how to build and use a CNC, 3D design.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2017, 12:08:50 AM »
Laid up a new mast today using Basalt fibre which is a first for me. I havnt been able to get a proper vac pump here so used onecof those vac bags you get from Kmart and use a house vac on. It worked OK but not really enough pressure so don't expect the corners will be perfect however back to the UK in two weeks to my workshop where I have all the tools.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 23, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
little update. while I carry on working on my own foil I picked up a takuma foil to have a play with, I will try it on booth the original 10'6 I made and also a nice new little number I have just cut out which is a 7'8 but a little different to the normal board you see foils attached too :)

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: May 23, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Nice foil. I saw one that has a reverseable fuselage which is where design will go to provide flexibility for different riders and conditions. There's some beautiful foils coming out lately.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
New foil board is getting glasses but think I may keep it under raps till it's done. I have also been working on some install kits to make it a lot easier to install the double boxes into the board. The final ones will probably get made in P.E.T

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »
Supuk, would love some reports on the takuma.
I just picked one up, but will not get to try it till I get to Maui in late June. I am mounting it on a 9x Naish SUP.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal