Author Topic: Bic ACE-TEC construction  (Read 18463 times)

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bic ACE-TEC construction
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »
I would look at the Lahui Kai 11' x 29". I think this is Annabels touring board. Nicest board in their line up for women. Much less volume than the race boards. Check it out on their web page. They will ship for free.

If all else fails drive to So Cal and pick up a used board down here cheap. So many Sup boards on Craigslist at way less than half price.

Have fun. Jill

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »
I can see how the Bic Ace Tec 11 would be tempting with some good pricing on line with free shipping from certain places. Jill Ride made a good suggestion too. I was looking at a used SIC for myself on the big winds site and noticed an Amundson that you might be interested in.

http://www.bigwinds.com/amundson-tr-11-6-x-29-used

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:44:59 PM by robon »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 04:12:05 AM »
Just a thought here

If 32" wide is to wide (I'm sure the physics folks could tell us the difference in hull speed between 32" & 30" at the same length) Why are alot of the newer all around boards (Fanatic, JP, SB, Sunova, Not to mention Bounct...) coming out with 11Ft (ish) boards coming out wider that 30"?
...Because they work (easier) for EVERYBODY.

Just my thought
JimK

And sometimes maybe a bit overly-“easy” can be a hassle.

Sorry to be a bit harsh and make generalisations but the marketing guys are fairly correct to assume that the average entry-level person to the sport in the US tends to be a bit, errr, how do say this correctly, a bit large. On average.

While there aren’t really “minimum” weights a lighter person and especially shorter-lighter person does not need all that width and it quickly becomes just a hassle to paddle.

Pierre put up this calculation on a thread about DW board widths and it’s pretty spot on.

“if you are a beginner, take wider,
if backwash or cross bumps(current, etc) are likely to be encountered, take wider.
this table is just for reference,shaper rails, wide noses may improve stability, recessed decks too ,… this is for a 12,6 pin nosed average transom,for a 14’, reduce 1/2 inch, for a 17,another 1/2 inch…”

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 05:13:49 AM »

I’m no expert on any of this, that’s for sure.  I can’t afford a race board, but I won’t be doing any surfing, so I want whatever board I get to lean towards the touring side of “all-round”.  I’d rather have a board that I can keep as I improve, as well.

I think I want to go a bit shorter for storage and transport reasons, which is partly why I’m still considering an inflatable.  …

The “all-round” market was, and still is, a sort of large surfboard that also kind of works on the flats. If you aren’t going to surf the only plus of a shorter board is to fit it into a van. If you are going to put it on top your car and store in garage anyway realise that longer is faster and you can ride them narrower (ultimately better to paddle).

The weirdest thing is that this “all-round” thinking has simply carried over to iSups. There is no real reason to get a shorter iSup unless you intend to begin surfing with it, in which case you’d not normally be looking for an iSup. That “all-round” length thing sticks mainly because of marketing and not-so-speciality shops are just reading the catalog for the all-round section to sell to nOObies. For example these 10’-10’6 iSups are by far the biggest sellers on lakes in Switzerland just because of that all-round “here is the entry of the sport” label. Not because there is any intent to surf them.

A 10, 10’6, or a 12’6 iSup all roll up into the same bag. OK, OK, you may need to pump a few strokes more for the bigger ones but you get better glide and be able to go narrower.

I like Red Paddles new 13’2 Sport (x30) board (anyone remember Jim Terrell’s 400cm class proposal?). Plenty stable for any avg to light size beginner and still fun to use once expert.

A 110 lbs 5’4 friend started SUP last summer, on a simple surf SUP I’ve had for years. After a month, loving the sport, she bought a 2014 second hand Naish 14’ Javelin LE x26 at the same price point of a new run of the mill board. She wanted light ( I think it’s 23lbs)! Plenty stable for her and even makes great DW board for her. She now paddles with expert guys at the same speed. Most of those guys still being on their 12’6 race boards that they bought a bit too wide as they weren’t very good yet.  She'll keep hers for years.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 09:30:50 AM »

I’m no expert on any of this, that’s for sure.  I can’t afford a race board, but I won’t be doing any surfing, so I want whatever board I get to lean towards the touring side of “all-round”.  I’d rather have a board that I can keep as I improve, as well.

I think I want to go a bit shorter for storage and transport reasons, which is partly why I’m still considering an inflatable.  …

The “all-round” market was, and still is, a sort of large surfboard that also kind of works on the flats. If you aren’t going to surf the only plus of a shorter board is to fit it into a van. If you are going to put it on top your car and store in garage anyway realise that longer is faster and you can ride them narrower (ultimately better to paddle).

The weirdest thing is that this “all-round” thinking has simply carried over to iSups. There is no real reason to get a shorter iSup unless you intend to begin surfing with it, in which case you’d not normally be looking for an iSup. That “all-round” length thing sticks mainly because of marketing and not-so-speciality shops are just reading the catalog for the all-round section to sell to nOObies. For example these 10’-10’6 iSups are by far the biggest sellers on lakes in Switzerland just because of that all-round “here is the entry of the sport” label. Not because there is any intent to surf them.

A 10, 10’6, or a 12’6 iSup all roll up into the same bag. OK, OK, you may need to pump a few strokes more for the bigger ones but you get better glide and be able to go narrower.

I like Red Paddles new 13’2 Sport (x30) board (anyone remember Jim Terrell’s 400cm class proposal?). Plenty stable for any avg to light size beginner and still fun to use once expert.

A 110 lbs 5’4 friend started SUP last summer, on a simple surf SUP I’ve had for years. After a month, loving the sport, she bought a 2014 second hand Naish 14’ Javelin LE x26 at the same price point of a new run of the mill board. She wanted light ( I think it’s 23lbs)! Plenty stable for her and even makes great DW board for her. She now paddles with expert guys at the same speed. Most of those guys still being on their 12’6 race boards that they bought a bit too wide as they weren’t very good yet.  She'll keep hers for years.

I agree about the all-round boards.  Those would be good for a family board or second board, or maybe if I were going to do some surfing.  When you mentioned Red Paddle Co's Sport, did you mean the 12'6?   I'm not aware of a 13'2....

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
I would look at the Lahui Kai 11' x 29". I think this is Annabels touring board. Nicest board in their line up for women. Much less volume than the race boards. Check it out on their web page. They will ship for free.

If all else fails drive to So Cal and pick up a used board down here cheap. So many Sup boards on Craigslist at way less than half price.

Have fun. Jill
Hi, Jill!  That Lakui Kai looks nice, but it's out of my range.  I wish I could drive to So Cal and get a board, but that's out of my range as well---I live in western North Carolina!  :). No used boards here, and none to demo.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
I can see how the Bic Ace Tec 11 would be tempting with some good pricing on line with free shipping from certain places. Jill Ride made a good suggestion too. I was looking at a used SIC for myself on the big winds site and noticed an Amundson that you might be interested in.

http://www.bigwinds.com/amundson-tr-11-6-x-29-used

The Amundson looks like a great board as well.  A bit pricier than the Bic, but otherwise seems pretty similar.  I'll have to research them a little more.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Since we  handle both Bic and Amundson here is the long and short of it

Both are older shapes
Bic is a bit more durable
Amundson has a bit better performance

I guess price would be the determining factor

Let me know If we can help

Jimk
Extreme Windsurfing

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
When you mentioned Red Paddle Co's Sport, did you mean the 12'6?   I'm not aware of a 13'2....

You'd be better off w the 13'2 Sport x30 in the weight ranges you mention. New this year. Been on it, it's a nice shape (and RedPaddle takes high pressure and great pump)

the 12'6 Sport is x32, then the 11' is x30 again.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
Check out distressedmullet.com. Not sure how far the Carolina paddleboard company would be from you but they carry Starboard among others. Shipping distance from Florida isn't really that far and lots of options from there. I have had boards and paddles shipped from California and New Jersey to the Idaho panhandle right at the Canadian border. Some shops are willing to ship their used models, so something to consider. Give JimK a shout.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:42 PM »
When you mentioned Red Paddle Co's Sport, did you mean the 12'6?   I'm not aware of a 13'2....

You'd be better off w the 13'2 Sport x30 in the weight ranges you mention. New this year. Been on it, it's a nice shape (and RedPaddle takes high pressure and great pump)

the 12'6 Sport is x32, then the 11' is x30 again.

The 12'6 Sport is 30" wide. It is the 12'6 Explorer that is 32" wide.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »
yes, sorry, and it's 13'2 Explorer

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
yes, sorry, and it's 13'2 Explorer

Actually, there are two Explorer models. The 12'6 Explorer is 32" wide and the 13'2 Explorer is 30" wide.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 02:32:52 PM »
The Bic Wing 12'6 definitely not an "all round" board.......have caught waves on mine but was not a really happy time.....is flat water or ocean adventure where you want to take a look at the next beach along the coast.....and a good fish sup with all those anchor points along the front deck

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
The Bic Wing 12'6 definitely not an "all round" board.......have caught waves on mine but was not a really happy time.....is flat water or ocean adventure where you want to take a look at the next beach along the coast.....and a good fish sup with all those anchor points along the front deck
I'm definitely not looking for an all-round board.  The Wing sounds like what I want in an affordable package.  Probably the 11', though, not the 12'6.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal