Author Topic: Is Racing Enough  (Read 4948 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Is Racing Enough
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
One of misses about SUP events is that they always seem to be races. Not that I have anything against races, but I'm not a racer. I really don't care about races, although I like getting together with fellow paddlers a lot.

Do races have events for non-racers? Does every paddleboard event have to be a race? Can we have non-racing events at races like clinics, tours, tag, polo, board comparisons, or anything else!

That's one of the reasons why I loved doing the Cape Cod Bay Challenge, because it was a difficult but cooperative event. This is not a rant against races or racers. I'd just like to see more things going on besides races.

Am I a freak, or does anybody here feel the same way.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is Racing Enough
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
Everyone I paddle with feels like you do, and so do I. But I guess the question is how to make such largely social events financially viable. Insurance and water safety etc is very expensive. Why would people pay for it when they can just get together with a bunch of friends and paddle for free? Round here, there are a couple of demo days each year that kinda fulfil these criteria, but the cost is of course largely borne by the exhibitors. We do have a couple of races each year where you can enter as a recreational paddler and just cruise the course, and your time is not recorded and there are no prizes. That's quite nice.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
A lot of races here have non-race events before or after--clinic before, and after race demos, or jousting.  Naish Hood River race had a novice group paddle before the races instead of a novice race.  Gorge Performance here has periodic board demos and group paddles, including a weekly meet-up paddle in summer that may or may not involve racing (and any racing is short, fun and optional).  There's also a facebook page here where people post meetups for paddles at various locations, including going to the Gorge for downwinders.

I think a lot of people share your feelings--even a lot of people at races aren't there for the competitive aspect as much as the chance to paddle in a group, see boards, get together with friends, etc. There are a lot of people who paddle here with no interest in racing, or maybe they do a couple out of curiosity, then decide that's enough.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:40:01 PM »
You're a freak ;), but I agree with what you are saying. I'm not a racer either and the only time I participate is in the local river races here, and it's more of a fun thing. A few dedicated racers were here who participate in BC cup events, but I'm more into it to support the local shops and have a good time. The shop that puts on our small  race puts on clinics for running rapids, fitness classes/yoga. Werner reps, the shop, and a racer or two provided free shuttles and all the gear for a couple of runs down the rapids over the weekend as well. There was also a big pig roast, plenty of beer provided by Werner reps for a get together at the camp ground behind the paddling shop. Good times, and hopefully this type of chill vibe with multiple activities grows the event.

I'm all about meeting other paddlers too, and it's really interesting to hang out with the people involved. Just from our little race I met world class racers, SUP guides running expeditions in the Great Bear rain forest, and just random regular peeps travelling from long distances to check things out. This has been brought up before on the zone and it seems for these races to remain viable, organizers are going to have tap into a broader lifestyle market to attract more people.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
Look forward to having you back for another CCBC !!!! Hopefully we'll see you next year for the 10th anniversary event !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »
Am I a freak, or does anybody here feel the same way.

The only reason I am considering going to some of our local races this year is to paddle (at least for the first 5 minutes) with some of the friends I downwind with "all in one place".
I cannot care less about the racing aspect; and the idea that somebody would stomp his board on top of mine after spending $$$ to get a nice board makes me feel very nostalgic after my kick-boxing and mixed martial arts years - and not in a nice way....so I intend to steer well away from the crowds during the initial rush and make turns at a safe distance.
Definitely considering this only a meet with hot soup and cold beer afterwards. If I can grab a clinic during that time even better.
At 50 the only thing I am racing after is time before I stop being able to do things....

So I will stand in solidarity with you.....

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »
We have monthly time trials, 5 of which count towards a rating and prizes at the end of he year. I can't say I'm a racer , but I do like the fact it keeps me fit, and I get to see the whole paddling community once a month (OC, Surfski and rowers).. The club encourages all to join with beginners short races included.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
I like racing for the camaraderie and to push myself against people of similar ability, but I don't expect to compete for the podium. We're really lucky up here to have some terrific events.

Raf's weekly Soposup Casco Bay race series is dirt cheap, features some of the most interesting courses around, and is really laid back, with a great bunch of local paddlers and a chance to demo lots of different boards in real world conditions. The Lobster SUP Cup up on Camden, ME is another great event. It's a weekend long series of races on the beautiful Maine midcoast. Last year Thor dropped the cash prizes and focused more on organizing cookouts and other get togethers for the attendees, and it was the best weekend of the summer!

I'd love to have some big events like the Carolina SUP Cup up here, with tons of sponsors, demos, and other non-race events in addition to the big competitions. But I'm thrilled to have fun local races up here to paddle hard and enjoy some beers with other local paddlers.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »

Do races have events for non-racers? Does every paddleboard event have to be a race? Can we have non-racing events at races like clinics, tours, tag, polo, board comparisons, or anything else!

I think the problem is that the concept of a race is the most obvious way to gather a lot of people to do something together and therefore organisers try and hinge their events around a race.

If you organise a clinic it's typically max a couple of paddlers per instructor + costly. If you organise a tour there will also be costs involved, substantial, if it involves travelling to something different plus perhaps staying over. Demo days are pretty much run by the clubs here now, as in guys that want to try different gear get to do so on Time Trial night or by special arrangement.

We tried a GYOT concept where you are invited to and event where the route is disclosed 5 minutes before start and you have to write the time you estimate it will take you on a piece of paper and hand it in before you go - as in "Guess Your Own Time". This means you can paddle at any pace, with or without others, and chance of winning is relatively even as it is not a race. We did a couple and numbers (max 20) dwindled each time......

Organisers and sponsors tend to want to see bigger numbers than what the above seem to attract, but having said that turnout at races is not always amazing either....

I will be taking part in the Kite Armada record attempt next weekend in Cape Town and this could be transferred to SUP - we basically have to kite 1.5miles from A to B with the aim of seeing the most kiters kiting a distance together at the same time with the aim of breaking the world record of 350+ ....anyone who could paddle 1.5 miles could do this and there is no racing.

We also have Earthwave which is an annual day where the organisers draw attention to environmental issues through events. SUP's participate in a "Most surfers on a Wave" record attempt - hundreds line up and try and catch one wave together, this does require some skills to not descend into chaos and broken boards but is pretty fun.

I think the key is that the event has to have some point of interest and to date gathering people to do a race seems the most obvious......anyone can enter and who says you have to race??? Pace yourself, enjoy the scenery, bring likeminded people and you can even chat the whole way...

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:14:06 PM »
So just paddle, don't race.  There are a lot like you and you likely will be paddling with the same group most of the "race" and then enjoy all the festivities that go along with it.  Every race I have been too, has been different and enjoyable.  You don't have to compete to race.  Just paddle and have fun.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:45:20 AM »
Everyone I paddle with feels like you do, and so do I. But I guess the question is how to make such largely social events financially viable. Insurance and water safety etc is very expensive. Why would people pay for it when they can just get together with a bunch of friends and paddle for free? Round here, there are a couple of demo days each year that kinda fulfil these criteria, but the cost is of course largely borne by the exhibitors. We do have a couple of races each year where you can enter as a recreational paddler and just cruise the course, and your time is not recorded and there are no prizes. That's quite nice.

Ditch the money I say.... Fun, friendly non profit is the way forward... Or at least you'd think so.

I tried it and got zero response..

I offered up a fun event all free with free drinks and hot food.

Nobody was interested in the slightest.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:49:20 AM »
Personally I think competition sports of any kind are simply shallow..

I try and direct my swimmers away from comp stuff because I believe it leads to misery and disappointment, if not drugs and cheating.

Soul is the way forward....

"The paddler doesn't paddle to the island the island comes to the paddler, the paddle craft is the centre"

Have that attitude and you'll enjoy 'growth' of body mind and spirit for the rest of your life.

Trouble is over here in the UK folk are too busy in the 'race'.... to notice that they are even breathing :D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:52 AM »
UK, I hope I didn't give the impression that I was arguing for no races. I get that that's what a lot of people want. Makes so sense to take that away. I'd just like to see more diversity. Something for all, if you will.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 03:49:26 AM »
No, I reckon races have their place but its not the path to ultimate satisfaction imo.

A good alternative to race events would be multi day type events - Mini Expeditions or something similar.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 06:09:41 AM »
I'm with you Ichabod.  For me, paddling is about fun, if you enjoy an activity, then you tend to do it.  SUP has the huge added benefit of all round fitness, so the more you do it, the better it is for you.  Win win. 

Using that premise, races need to be restructured.  Last one across the line is the winner... Why? Because that person was doing what they loved the longest... "Win".
First one across is the loser.  Send them back out to do it again until they get it right...  ;D
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal