Author Topic: A good-for-anyone SUP?  (Read 4559 times)

LazyOtter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
A good-for-anyone SUP?
« on: January 18, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
Hi all, I'm glad to find this forum! My wife and I are getting ready to open a new tubing/kayaking/SUP outfitter in North Carolina. We've got the tubing and kayaking covered pretty well, but our experience on SUPs is kind of limited. I'm hoping you all might be able to suggest to us a brand/model of SUP that would be good as a start to a rental fleet. I don't yet know what to expect in terms of demographics for the SUPs so ideally I'd like something that is above-all both fun and safe for beginners on a flat-water river, and hopefully also affordable for a startup operation. Portability isn't really a concern so I would think a solid material would be preferable to an inflatable for durability's sake, but that's just an assumption on my part. Any advice would be very welcome!

Matt

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A good-for-anyone SUP?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
For a rental fleet, I would think an Ocean Kayak Nalu would be great.  They are relatively inexpensive, very stable and easy to use.  Pretty much as durable as plastic kayaks, which are almost indestructible.   In fact, the OK Nalus' double as  kayaks.   I have one in my quiver and use it for various purposes.  Love it for what it is.

If you are interested, you should talk to Ralph at Sup-position, one of our Zone sponsors.  I bought mine from him and I'll bet he can get you a good deal on a few of them.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:29:13 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

LazyOtter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 07:10:35 AM »
I like that idea, I imagine it would be nice for people (especially beginners) to have the option to shift into kayaking mode on a river trip. Thanks for the suggestion!
Matt

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »
Matt,  Know your prospects.  I got to know a little about the operations of a rental outfit where I kited for a decade.  These folks got a lot of people who seemed to lack cultural, physical and historical connections to water sports. (I saw canoeists facing one another..) Canoe and kayak was OK, but SUP was a bust. In an attempt to make it easier, they switched from basic cruiser SUPs to rotomolded barges.. but it appeared 'sitting' was a helluva lot more appealing to these customers than standing.  ('can imagine 'tubers' falling into this category...)

Perhaps ..become a 'partner' with a nearby retailer of SUPs.. have a few (they provide) to rent so not only can they send people (perhaps with a rental discount coupon) to 'try' their boards ..but where you can also rent to non-directed people in exchange for storage, supervision and availability ..so the retailer does not have to provide this themselves. ...?!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
Hey Otter,

Almost every notable SUP brand makes "soft-top" boards which are stable, affordable and relatively durable.  I would recommend something in the 11'+ range, they'll be stable for everyone. 

I switched over to Bic SUP Ace-Tec boards when managing the SUP operation at a well-established NorCal outfitter, and these turned out to be fantastic rental boards.  A little more expensive than soft-tops, but extremely tough.  They're based on the East coast, too, so shipping would probably be reasonable.   

Bounce SUP & Focus SUP are 2 more brands that make a super durable rental fleet board. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

LazyOtter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
Thanks all, sounds like lots of good advice!

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
I might suggest going with an inflatable SUP; durability is fine, the weight is lower than most entry level hard boards, and at the end of he season you do not need the storage space. You also eliminate the issues with leaving a hard board in the hot summer sun unless you have the type of pressure vent that is automatic. The inflatable, while fairly hard when pumped up still does not have the issues when someone falls on the board.
If you are looking a buying more than 2-3 boards, I would go directly to the US distributor and see about 2015 "left-overs", freight is much less so you can go quite a distance out in your search. I personally have an Imagine 12-6 Mission which is easy to learn on, but you might go a bit wider (say 31-32") and perhaps 11-6 length for ease in maneuverability. Whatever you buy use a cheap plastic fin to minimize damage when folks hit rocks.
Good luck.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
talk to war dog at sup sports about his  boards he has some i think would be really good  and feel more advanced. The thing about rentals is for me any way i want some thing decent not a  hunk of  junk.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 02:40:50 AM »
Don't rule out inflatables for rentals and sales.  Red Paddle Co makes great boards, and for the type of paddling you described, a quiver of 10'6 and 9'8 Rides, along with a couple of 11' Sport boards, will meet most people's needs.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:13:20 AM »
Just as another possible consideration. For rentals and beginner lessons, I've had good luck (both "performance" and durability) with the Surftech Universal boards. The 10'6" is probably a little small for most beginners over say 180 pounds. The 11'6 is great for those over 180.
Bunch of old shit

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
The rental shop closest to me uses Riviera SUP 11' 6" x 33".  They seem steady for first timers etc..

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 05:29:37 AM »
Lazy Otter,

Good luck in your new venture I can't more HIGHLY recommend BOUNCE SUP's Oceanside CA

Reasonably light and COMPLETELY INDESTRUCTABLE (But repairable if you ever needed) Very reasonably priced and unlike a lot of rental equipment they are really well designed to (in other words they WORK) I am not affiliated with BOUNCE other than a dealer of their board and use them in my rental fleet. Lastly they are EXCELLENT folks to deal with!

The best rental paddles I've ever found are Adj Aluminum paddles from Nextsports in Miami Fla. (All the above points pertain to this product too.

If I can be any further help in getting you set up I'd be happy to help (Free) Email/Call 484 515 5758/ or PM me here

Welcome to the ZONE

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:42 AM »
I don't know that you would want to buy a fleet of them (they ain't exactly cheap), but my Starboard Avanti (11'2" x 36" wide) has convinced a number of people to try SUP that had no success on other boards.  I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs.  I tried about a dozen boards before I bought the Avanti.  It is so big and stable that it will easily float me and my 8 year old grand daughter at the same time.

Where in North Carolina are you?  I'm on the coast.

LazyOtter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »
That's all a lot to consider and some really good suggestions, so thanks very much everyone!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard