Author Topic: Every possible way to ride Peahi . Check out Kai at 5:15  (Read 9298 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Every possible way to ride Peahi . Check out Kai at 5:15
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47:53 AM »
I was searching for the cover photo from 1992 with Robby Naish windsurfing Jaws.

Windsurfers 'discovered' that spot.  I couldn't find the photo but this video is a good substitute with a perfect segue to SUP:

http://bcove.me/3td5bz6q

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 07:48:09 AM »
I was searching for the cover photo from 1992 with Robby Naish windsurfing Jaws.

Windsurfers 'discovered' that spot.  I couldn't find the photo but this video is a good substitute with a perfect segue to SUP:

http://bcove.me/3td5bz6q

2:30 "When Stand Up came along it was like everything clicked and it was like okay, that's what I've been looking for in my surfing all my life." Robbie Naish

WORD
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 08:05:02 AM »
The windsurfers were dominating.

To my eye they definitely looked to have more control than the kitesurfers.

No doubt, the windsurfers shown are very very good, and agree, things line up better for windsurfing than kiting.

However [looks like Kai Lenny] kitesurfing at 9:50 is just as awesome. The next guy in the red shorts  sure is pushing the envelope like crazy! If he looks like he’s running scared and hanging on for dear life, look again. He is! Check his line out!

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Niccolo's kite crash -DRONE POV
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »
DOUBLE WORD
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
In my opinion the Windsurfers and Robby(my hero) got the best "organic" rides BY FAR. They are in early and going huge and seem to have a lower beat down percentage.

Robby is also my hero but one huge advantage windsurfing has over SUS (or prone) is foot straps. I love both wave sports, but when SUS'ing sometimes I miss having foot straps. And the power you get from a sail.  :) Foot straps are almost cheating, whatever that means. But they do give an advantage over not having them.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »
Talk to Loch about straps. He was playing with them on his SUP board a few years ago. So was Bret Lickle, and he probably went further with it. I'm afraid Bret is out of the water for a while. He's having vein problems from his leg injury. I empathise, I'm wearing compression socks as I type at my standup desk because my veins don't pump. And I'm standing because sitting screws up my knee. Pretty soon I'll be hanging upside down like a bat.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
That would be tricky getting into foot straps on a SUP board. Well, for me it would. At least with a windsurfer you have the sail/boom to balance off of.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 08:38:08 AM »
Actually Brett had it pretty well figured out. He had a wide strap for his front foot and nothing in the back. For some reason I can't quite fathom Brett creates the impression of a goofy surfer dude, but he's smart as hell and extraordinarily talented.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
Be careful if you're going to try foot straps on a board. A couple of friends tried and all ended up with ankle and knee injuries. Straps are only safe when both feet are in them, which is hard to do while surfing. If you fall with only one foot in, you can torque your ankle by your body turning one way and the board with your foot in it goes the other direction. Take it from me, I am now sitting with a cast on my leg and out of the water for the el nino season because of a fall while snowboarding. I had my front foot in the binding and back foot loose while exiting a chair lift. Got tangled up with another passenger, fell, and twisted bad enough to break my fibula.

One of my friends did have some success by mounting two boogie board foam mushroom shaped things on the deck of his surfboard. He'd have his feet under the mushroom lips to keep his feet on the board when doing airs and hard turns.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 11:45:03 AM »
What Brett developed was more like a belt you could put your foot under, and the edge was rolled so you could wiggle in. The front foot could be positioned side to side. Minimal trapping and a little more control. I saw him get some air paddling over big sets and land on the other side without a wobble. I wasn't impressed enough to want to do it, but it was interesting and Brett was convinced it was useful. Of course he also invented an exercise system that probably only he and Danny MacAskill could handle. Not commercially successful since everyone who looked at it thought "that would kill me"

More on topic, Friday might be the Peahi session of the year. The general forecast isn't for huge, but some local experts say it's going to be immense. Suppatime, we must be neighbors. I'm not sure who you are. I don't walk to Peahi, but it's in easy bicycle range.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:47:39 AM by PonoBill »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:04 PM »
Windsurfing looks like it could be fun, but kitesurfing would not be on my radar even at a younger age.  Anything that picks you up in a fraction of a second to ten to forty feet then drops you is just the imminent disaster odds waiting to happen.  The windsurfers go airborne once in awhile, but not like that.

My neighbor told me he thought he would try it years ago. During one of his first lessons, he was dropped and wound up getting rotator cuff surgery. He is pretty fearless and will do anything, but that was the end of kitesurfing for him.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
any sport  where  the  first  lesson  is  how  to  use  the  6 or  7  safety  devices  with  one  of  them  being  a knife ,  you  know  it's  not  the  safest  sport .

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
I'm surprised that Niccolo's kite crash wasn't in that vid, it was pretty awesome, so here it is right here.
He's got the surfer's lingoisms and sound effects down cold, he's a riot to listen to.

And in that first clip, that's Bethany getting towed in, and I'm pretty sure that's Kai who went back out windsurfing when the wind picked up, he's on a yellow board (of course) with at Naish yellow sail, with a silver logo, and a black top.

My new fave!
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 08:47:56 PM »
Suppatime, we must be neighbors. I'm not sure who you are. I don't walk to Peahi, but it's in easy bicycle range.

Yeah, we are neighbors, at least based on your house photos. We scoured Haiku when we bought so I am pretty sure I recognize your place. We almost bought land just up from you. Remember some guy at Kanaha a couple weeks ago who probably looked like he escaped from the homeless camp and yelled, hey whistling Bill, at you? :) :)
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal