Author Topic: New (used) board...SIC X-14  (Read 2325 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New (used) board...SIC X-14
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »
Finally back living along the coast (was landlocled in COlorado the last 2.5 years). I'm in Northern, CA near RIchmond in the Bay Area and live miutes from the water. Found a used SIX X-14 (the newer model that's 28.5" wide). Plan on using it for pretty much everything in the Bay and seems like a good all-around board. Couldn't justify spending $2700 for a new X-14Pro even it it was narrower and lighter. I figure for $960 it's a no-brainer. Wondering what others think of this board for paddling out in the East Bay, mostly for fitness and may be enter a race now and then just for fun, without the intent of being ccrazy competitive and just to have fun? I'll post some pics of the board once I get home. It's in great shape and came with a nice fin as well.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New (used) board...SIC X-14
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:33:05 AM »
It's a really great all-round flat water board. Race-capable but stable enough for touring or endurance. I think a lot of people would be faster on it that on a x14 Pro. But I think that you really want the SCC construction. The much heavier TWC build does make it a pretty sizeable lump to move through the water. The x14 seems to be favoured by bigger, more powerful riders who are looking for stability, and those who might paddle in the sea or choppy waters at least sometimes.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »
It's a really great all-round flat water board. Race-capable but stable enough for touring or endurance. I think a lot of people would be faster on it that on a x14 Pro. But I think that you really want the SCC construction. The much heavier TWC build does make it a pretty sizeable lump to move through the water. The x14 seems to be favoured by bigger, more powerful riders who are looking for stability, and those who might paddle in the sea or choppy waters at least sometimes.

Yes, the SCC would have been nice to have, but given the price and what else was available used in my area, I figured I'd learn to like the TWC and deal with the added weight. Plus, if I stick around here and really get back into it will make a great backup board or second board to have for a friend. Also, because of my work schedule I may not always be able to get out in optimal conditions, so the extra width will most likely be appreciated, although my last board was  custom Infinity and it was 27.5, so I'm sure this board will feel extra stable. All in all it was a great deal to get me started back in the water!

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
Here are some pics...

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »
Nice score ODJ! Smoking deal and it should work well for what you want to do. I notice SIC got the listed dimensions right for the X-14 finally. Used to be listed at 29.5" wide by 296 litres. The X-14 was never actually that wide and there is no way it was 296 litres with that much of the deck cut out.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »
Hey Scott,
I hope you enjoy  the board
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »
Hey Scott,
I hope you enjoy  the board

Thanks for the board and thank you for delivering it! Should have to proof rack here by next Monday!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal