Author Topic: Sun Screen  (Read 11914 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Re: Sun Screen
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »
This is a big tip on sunscreen , when you first wake up after you go to the toilet apply your sunscreen , your skin is dry and it absorbes it really well. If you wait and you start to sweat you rub it over your skin and not into it. Regardless of brand you will get more hours protection this way. Just try it. 8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:23:09 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 05:36:21 AM »
agreed re applying right after morning shower, brfore drive to beach.

i ahve always combined physical block with the chemical sunscreens. apply the screen first, then the titanium on top, or mix in had and apply together.

headhunter makes a great product, i find, which contains both and seem to stay on well.\

dad is a melanoma survivor, and i am fairskinned, blonde, and was burned to blistering often as a child. i am textbook high risk for melanoma. i see the derma at least once per year. so far so good.......

alwasy surf with a rashguard shirt at least--full suit much of the time round here--have a good fcs hat, but cant get to wearing often.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
+1 for Watermans, goes on thick but stays on and works.  I also use Burnout, excellent zinc-based product.  Really stays on in the water, not as pasty as the Watermans, and made with natural ingredients by a surfing family here in Santa Cruz.  https://www.burnoutsun.com/

Finally, I wear a surf hat.  There are a lot of goofy looking ones out there, but this one isn't. It's a  close copy of my old Patagonia Hood Ornament surf hat. Straps tuck away when not wanted/needed, but it stays on and in place even in heavy beatdowns.  Drys fast, fits good, works. http://crossensurf.com/

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
Nutragena and Sunbum SPF 50 this summer. 

Be very careful with the Honest crap that Costco sold earlier this year. It was anything BUT sunscreen.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 02:45:50 PM »
Piros and eastbound--Thanks for the apply and reapply idea.  That seems to qualify as putting it on thicker.
Corky Carroll writes a surf related article for the local paper.  Once a year he writes about sunscreen use.  He says to apply at home and again at the beach.  I guess all three of you are on to something I will do.
eastbound--I asked about using sunscreen than blocker.  My Dr. said no one had done any studies on that.  Do you know any different?  I like the idea.  I'm just trying to learn more.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:02:06 PM by hbsteve »

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »
I've got melanoma,it was stage 2?.  So I try to go out before the sun comes up.  And if I dont,,I wear a long sleeve shirt and hat. 

I've been using doc Martin's out of hawaii.  I put it on about 1/2 hour before I go out.  I don't get any sun with it though, haha. I need some vit d.  Be careful with that by the way.  I went so overboard with no sun,,it ended up being a bad thing.  My vit d was all out of whack.  I am personally very concerned about the chemicals in this stuff.  Your skin is an incredible absorber of all things chemical.  I wonder if we are doing ourselves any favors?.  I'm 46, I've managed to beat 5 serious ca diagnosis so far. But today's sunburn won't get me for another 30 years.  I'll be lucky to make another 10,,so I figure I'll just get sunburned.  That may not be so smart so I did some research.  I found coconut oil and cannabis oil mix to actually work.  I use that now.  Before I go.out, and right after.  It seems to repair the damage before it ever gets bad.  I also use frankincense daily.  It eats away any skin aberrations, very trippy to play with. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 07:44:42 PM »
SPF ratings are not linear. Most people have a preconceived notion that they are. One of my clients was a retired VP for Procter & Gamble. They manufacture Sunblock. He told me that SPF 15 covers you daily exposure more that 90%, and SPF above that does very little other than market better. I apply Lubriderm 'Daily moisture lotion' w/ Broad Spectrum SPF 15 every morning. It's great stuff. I also almost always wear a rash guard.  I'm a 50+ fair skinned 'Finnish / Russian', with plenty of burned or cut Basal Cell scares. I've spent a good portion of my life in the sun, I always apply the SPF 15 in the morning. It doesn't have a greasy feel or any scent. I apply 30 or 50 SPF (any brand) over exposed areas before I get into the water. I haven't been sunburned in years.

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/ask-the-experts/does-a-higher-spf-sunscreen-always-protect-your-skin-better
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »
One of the reasons I wear the FCS kook hat all the time. Factor 70 is my go too and I prefer the sprays for the face as it does not run into my eyes. The key thing I focus on is making sure I cover the tops of the ears, forehead and back of the neck. I spray the stuff in my hands first and rub on. I agree the Aussies know what their doing. My dermatologist is Australian and seems to spend her whole time indoors which, after all that she has seen and experienced, says something..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
i agree, nuttin--we slather ourselves with chemicals thinking we're fooling mother nature....usually goes badly.

i read a piece in forbes magazine, of all places, which theorized that sunscreens may actually increase cancer. concept was that, yeah, chemical sunscreens inhibit the inflammation we naturally experience when in the sun too long--sunburns, blistering etc. but the chemicals may do nothing to prevent the cancerous cell changes effected by excessive sun exposure. so when we slather up and go spend way more time in the sun than we could otherwise, our chances of getting cancer may be sugnificantly increased.

the article superimposed a chart of the increase in sun-related skin cancers, over a chart of the increase in use of sunscreen--could have been the same chart.

so with my melanoma risk (and my red-haired daughter) i have been careful--chemical sunscreen first. then, on top of that sunblock (zinc titanium oxide type). i figure the titanium shields and reflects, and whatever gets past is dealt with by the sunscreen.

and many companies now make products which contain both types in one for one step application.

and nuttin, the coconut tincture sounds great--cant wait til we can legally try it here in NY--hear you re the "a burn today will kill me when im already dead" logic, but we dont know what triggers these things, and triggers them to get deadly on a person. that said, good luck with your skin. seems you are taking good care.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »
At the PPG men's final on Sunday, Connor Baxter was wearing a long sleeve shirt and his face was white with ( I'm guessing) a zinc based sun block.

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »
You guys got me scred. I am olive skin, and spend a lot of time under the sun. I hate oil on my skin. I choose to use long sleeves rashgard with UV protection and a visor, dark glasses as well. I do put protection on my ears, nose and face. Never ever on my legs.

Should i use sun screen protection on my back even if a use a uv protected shirt?

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 04:24:30 AM »
If the top you are wearing is keeping you from getting burned or deeply tanned, that should be adequate.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Just back from Kauai. Took 3 Sun Bum products and they worked like a charm and made me smell good too.

SPF 50 zinc cream in the little tub on my face before going out.

Stick for my face touch up in the lineup.

SPF 70 lotion everywhere else. Got a tan but no burn and it was hot and blazing. Used hats and shirts when I could but did a few sessions of body surfing without and other short shirtless activities.

I'm fully converted and it doesn't feel like axle grease. But picked up one tropical SUP surfing tip. Put some wax on your pad and paddle as when you are not in a wetsuit, things get slippery from the sunscreen and can put you on your butt.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »
I'm tell you guys ...don't write off dark chocolate...it won't completely take the place of sunscreen but it sure does help extend your time in the sun. Read up on it yourself. It's no joke...

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »
How do you guys wash the sun screen off your face afterwards?

I just found out couple days ago that coconut oil works amazingly well. Works so much better than chemical make up remover.

Paper towel and coconut oil, that is all I use to get rid of thick sun screen off my face. I use mixture of Neutrogena Baby stick and Zinka. Most parts of my face stays white for the entire 2 hour session.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:01:35 PM by jumpfrom13k »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal