Author Topic: iSUP Technology: Uli WikiRail or Red Paddle Co. RSS Battens  (Read 7649 times)

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
iSUP Technology: Uli WikiRail or Red Paddle Co. RSS Battens
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:28:34 AM »
Hello,

I'm in the market for a surf-oriented inflatable SUP in the 9' to 10' range. The overwhelming number of forum reviews of boards by Uli and Red Paddle Co. put these two companies at the top of the inflatable market, from what I can tell. Each seems to offer something unique in the market:

• the WikiRail for Uli: a glued-on dense foam tail piece that gives an inflatable a hard chined tail.
  • RSS Stiffening Battens for Red: fiberglass battens that slip into the rail pockets on the board before inflation and boost rigidity.

Both seem like really excellent ideas to combat the two most common gripes abut inflatables in the surf: slow with limited bite on the wave and bouncy or lacking in responsiveness. My question for the forum: which of these technologies do you think is most worthy of moving my decision? Are there other factors you would consider more closely?

Regarding comparable boards, on the shorter end, I'm looking at the Uli Gerry Lopez 9' and the Red Surf Star 9'2. On the slightly longer end, the Uli Steamroller 10' and the 2014 Red 10-0 Surfer. I think these two pairs of models compare relatively closely in terms of size and intended rider profiles.

Thanks for your feedback,
Eric

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: iSUP Technology: Uli WikiRail or Red Paddle Co. RSS Battens
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:55:29 AM »
Don't forget ULI's kevlar tech performance which has been part of their construction since the early days.  The Kevlar is bonded to the deck & bottom of the board nose to tail to stiffen it and make it rebound faster from flex. The triple lock seam construction and their own HP pumps allow the boards to be run at higher pressures as well.  ULI's heritage is in the surf and the fact that GL came to them with a performance design way back in 2008 is a pretty good testimonial in itself. The Wiki Rail takes surf performance to the next level and really makes the boards perform, and add in a some Futures-compatible boxes and these boards are riders.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
I can only speak for the Uli, but I can tell you that the bounce is minimal when inflated properly for the surf (18psi), and on my older steamroller, the lack of hard rails is what limits performance.  The bonded in Kevlar does what I think the battens on the Red are designed to do, so I'd go for Wiki rails given the choice. 

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
Hi Eric, Don't forget the 9'8" Ride by Red Paddle Co. They took the nose of the 2014 9'6" All Water and stuck it onto a 2014 10' Surfer tail. Stability up front and the narrower long board style tail at the back.

2015 9'8" Ride: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-9-8-ride

And more of a break down here: http://greenwatersports.com/4370/a-quick-review-of-the-2015-red-paddle-co-9-8-ride-inflatable-sup

9'2" Surf Star is great. Have had limited time on it as i usually step down to my 8'5" carbon for the waves and only travel with the all round 10'6". My buddy and his wife had a Uli Quad each, with the wiki rail. They loved them.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

SUPoftheday

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
+1 for ULI GLX2. I have the Special Edition with various sets of fins including Protek Performance and Superflex. I also had the 9' but sold it since it was too challenging for me to balance on it when waiting for a wave.

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:47:33 AM »
It's been 4 months since I started this thread. I'm still in the process of making a decision. I've narrowed my choices to 5 boards (which might actually be an increase over my original post). It remains clear that Uli and Red are the inflatable SUP manufacturers to beat. Here are my thoughts on my next board:

Red Paddle Co 9'8 Ride (2016):
Does all water pretty darn well, by all accounts, and the new construction results in one of the stiffest iSUPs around, at a sub-20 lb. weight.
Pros: Stiffness, weight, quality of finish and materials, peripherals -- Titan pump and class leading carry bag.
Cons: No Wiki Rail. (Does have a narrow, rounded tail -- perhaps that helps with turbulence off the back end???)

Red Paddle Co 10'0 Surfer (2014):
This is a two year old model, and as a result can be found at a good price. Very similar dimensions to the Uli 10' Steamroller.
Pros: RSS Battens for stiffness, price, quality pump and bag.
Cons: No Wiki Rail, heavier than newer Red boards.

Uli 10' Lopez GL-X2:
By most accounts, the best surf-capable model of any inflatable on the market. Newest LTD model can be purchased with finboxes.
Pros: Wiki Rail, Uli surf-lineage.
Cons: Price (most expensive of the bunch), too surf-specific for casual paddling???

Uli 10' Steamroller:
Classic do-everything inflatable SUP. Very similar dimensions to Red 10'0 Surfer. Loyal fan-following everywhere.
Pros: Wiki Rail. Steamroller videos.
Cons: None, other than being more expensive than Red Surfer.

Uli 9'3 Fat Ass Quad (FAQ):
Uli says: "It's fast, super stable, nose rides and can handle overhead plus surf." Sounds awesome.
Pros: Wiki Rail, modern shape, noserides.
Cons: Discontinued model, hard to find, relatively few ride reports on forums and in videos, too short and/or surf/river-specific for casual paddling???

Honestly, I don't know how to make a final decision. I want 2 boards, but that's not happening. I'm partial to the 2016 Red Paddle for its use of the most modern construction techniques and class leading stiffness and peripherals. And it's a fair price. I think I would choose it over the Uli Steamroller and the Red Surfer. But the two surf-specific Uli boards each make compelling cases.

I could use some help distinguishing between the Lopez and FAQ, their relative merits in different water conditions, ease of paddling out and getting into waves in the type of mushy east coast surf I am most likely to encounter. I have to travel to get to waves. I don't get to pick the best days and best conditions for surf. I get what I get when I get there. And somedays, it's blown-out or dead flat, and I'll still be paddling.

Keeping that in mind, please share your thoughts on the Uli Lopez and FAQ and the Red Paddle 2016 9'8 Ride. I appreciate your help. When trying before buying just isn't in the cards, the collective knowledge and experience of this forum is invaluable.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
I have a Red for touring and I love it, but for surfing I'd go ULI.  I think a hard rail in the tail will do more on a wave than a fiberglass batten at the midpoint.  Also you can custom order ULI's to get the fin options you want. 

Red doesn't even use the RSS on their all-around shapes, the reason being they're less impactful on shorter boards. 

/m
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »
It's been 4 months since I started this thread. I'm still in the process of making a decision. I've narrowed my choices to 5 boards (which might actually be an increase over my original post). It remains clear that Uli and Red are the inflatable SUP manufacturers to beat. Here are my thoughts on my next board:

Does all water pretty darn well, by all accounts, and the new construction results in one of the stiffest iSUPs around, at a sub-20 lb. weight.
Pros: Stiffness, weight, quality of finish and materials, peripherals -- Titan pump and class leading carry bag.
Cons: No Wiki Rail. (Does have a narrow, rounded tail -- perhaps that helps with turbulence off the back end???)

This is a two year old model, and as a result can be found at a good price. Very similar dimensions to the Uli 10' Steamroller.

Uli 10' Lopez GL-X2:
By most accounts, the best surf-capable model of any inflatable on the market. Newest LTD model can be purchased with finboxes.
Cons: Price (most expensive of the bunch), too surf-specific for casual paddling???

Uli 10' Steamroller:
Classic do-everything inflatable SUP. Very similar dimensions to Red 10'0 Surfer. Loyal fan-following everywhere.

Uli says: "It's fast, super stable, nose rides and can handle overhead plus surf." Sounds awesome.
Cons: Discontinued model, hard to find, relatively few ride reports on forums and in videos, too short and/or surf/river-specific for casual paddling???

Honestly, I don't know how to make a final decision. I want 2 boards, but that's not happening. I'm partial to the 2016 Red Paddle for its use of the most modern construction techniques and class leading stiffness and peripherals. And it's a fair price. I think I would choose it over the Uli Steamroller and the Red Surfer. But the two surf-specific Uli boards each make compelling cases.

I could use some help distinguishing between the Lopez and FAQ, their relative merits in different water conditions, ease of paddling out and getting into waves in the type of mushy east coast surf I am most likely to encounter. I have to travel to get to waves. I don't get to pick the best days and best conditions for surf. I get what I get when I get there. And somedays, it's blown-out or dead flat, and I'll still be paddling.

Keeping that in mind, please share your thoughts on the Uli Lopez and FAQ and the Red Paddle 2016 9'8 Ride. I appreciate your help. When trying before buying just isn't in the cards, the collective knowledge and experience of this forum is invaluable.

I was getting all prepared to answer these questions and realised who posted it and that we've already communicated. A friend of mine has the FAQ, let me see if I can take a closer look at it.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
I have tried both brands and find them to be the best quality inflatables. For surfing I think Uli has nailed it. I ended up buying an Uli Lopez ltd and love it! Being located in Vancouver BC doesn't allow me to surf daily but the Uli performs great when I get the chance!

Uli...Uli...Uli...

Also, look up Steamroller and see what he can do on an isup. Guy is amazing and a heck of a nice guy.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
Great shot Corlot !  Love the ULI Lopez models.   
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
The FAQ and Mini Quad are no longer in the ULI lineup but there may be some demos available for sale if you call them. I liked them both in rivers but for most surf applications I prefer the 9' and 10' Lopez models. They have a bit of yaw when paddling and at my weight the FAQ was difficult to get on rail, but on whitewater & slalom on rivers it is stable and pivot turns very well.  I know there are some ULI and Red demo boards on LBI, NJ at South End Surf & Paddle. The real game changer in the surf is the Wiki Rail as it lets the boards really fly down the line and now there are fin options for urethane glue-on, Futures or FCS compatible boxes. Oh and if you want something special they can make you a custom shape or design too...   
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 04:16:16 PM »

Uli 10' Lopez GL-X2:

Uli 10' Steamroller:

For what its worth, short video of me surfing small kine Waikiki on the Uli Fat Ass Quad.  Never tried the Red Paddle.  I'd love to try the Uli with the Wiki rails someday.  Once you get used to the rounded rails in the tail, it feels loose like a wake board and you can slide it… But carving aggressive turns are out, at least form me.  But if thats your thing, an isup is a poor choice anyway (-:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99