Author Topic: Reviewing my Starboard RACE 14x25  (Read 6440 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Reviewing my Starboard RACE 14x25
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
IDEAL USE
My favorite board to date that really suits my needs. I primarily got it for open ocean paddling (long distance), lighter downwinds, training with maniacs, and photography. So far, I am still blown away... there’s a lot to like, including its noticeable speed (at least for lightweight paddlers.)

LOOK & FEEL
I love the piercing nose; its shape just look cool to me.
The concave tail also has this distinct look and feel that one could enjoy looking at.
It feels fast.

ERGONOMICS
The center carrying handle is perfectly positioned.
Small side lip remind your feet of the boundary; it’s also a nice feature to make board-handling a little easier.
Surprisingly, the deck area is pretty dry, thanks to its long front end. In case water makes its way, you’ll find that the scuppers work very well – and water drainage is super fast.
The full pad is a huge welcome addition, especially coming from my Sprint boards.

STABILITY
Stability on flat water is very good. I don’t weigh very much, but my heavier friends seem to have some difficulties in the chop with this board.
The board benefits from a huge amount of stability when it gets going fast... so catching boat wake and open ocean swells actually make life a whole lot easier when it comes down to stability.

GLIDE FEEL
Okay... this is a feeling, but nonetheless: the board feel like it’s gliding. Not all 14 footers will feel like they are gliding, so the “feel” remained important to me. This board doesn’t disappoint.

SPEED
Day one with the board and I got my second fastest time on my home course. I have paddled it over 150 times using many boards... but the 14x25 surprised me right from the first day. Experience has thought me that I will get faster on it... so this is super motivating. (By the way: my fastest time was on my Sprint 17’6 x 23” – which is in a class of its own).

WEIGHT
The board isn’t the lightest 14 footer in the world... but it’s pretty light. Mine came in at 10.5 kg – including the fin and center handle. Of course, I’d love to this boards even lighter, but who wouldn’t ?

FLAT WATER
Great feeling, perfect: the board will feel right at home.

CALM OCEAN
I loved it; the board just wanted to play with every boat wake. A rolling swell becomes super fun. Highly recommended.

ROUGH WATER & CHOP
I didn’t have the chance to get it in super rough conditions yet, but I paddled along cliffs with “some” backwash. You’ll have to stay alert, and you probably won’t have time to relax. The board will remind you that it’s a racing machine – no doubt.

Heads up: you will weigh less than me and you are likely to also enjoy it in the rough, OR you will weigh more with more stability and ability than me.

DOWNWIND
I can only comment on small downwind conditions, for now. I found the board to be very reactive, and super stable. The open deck makes it so easy to step back in a hurry. The bow didn’t want to burry itself for no reason, but when it does go under, you don’t feel like someone put on the breaks. It’s smooth and predictable.

Someone else can comment on their experience in bigger downwind... but that’s all I can comment on for now.

UPWIND
It works pretty well; it’s a keeper.

SIDE WIND
Perhaps because I am a feather, but I feel like I get blown away with side winds. I have tried “everything” – and this board is also affected by side wind. I paddle such long distances that I might one day place a rudder system on it. This would solve all of my problems, because I really don’t mind paddling straight upwind for hours.

THE PROS
Very versatile board that surprised me on its small downwind ability.
Very fast – at least for a feather-weight rider.
A good feeling glide.
The bow looks cool, as does the unusual concave tail.
Plenty of handle attachment points.
A full non-skid pad.

THE CONS
The deck could be lowered by 2 to 5 cm and the stability gain would be incredible. I have a feeling that heavier paddlers are bashing the board because (and only because) of the stability – or lack thereof for them.
I seriously can’t think of anything else that’s important.

MINOR IMPROVEMENT
I’d love to see two fins provided with this board – one for downwind, and a weedless one.
Perhaps a 25cm space can be added in front of the rider’s feet before the deck rises. I know, it’s silly, but this would give us a possibility to place a small bag in front of our feet, without placing it so high.
As usual, a bow attachment point – for towind, anchoring, or simply to secure our Go-Pro cameras as well.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Reviewing my Starboard RACE 14x25
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »
The 14x25 Race is a nice quick board with a little bobble when you put down a bit of power.  The slender nose parted the water very quickly and the bow wave reflected a narrow shape.  Acceleration was good and stability increased the faster you paddled.  Like most narrower boards side chop can be a bit of a balancing act.  Overall well suited for its intended purpose.  Should be a fun board for you.   :)

http://star-board-sup.com/2015/products/race-14x25/

http://youtu.be/6S9AAp2uh4s

http://youtu.be/rNwxfMuNry0

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
Almost too many flavors to choose from, would love to know how the Sprint compares to the Race. Of course Starboard will shuffle the deck again for 2016.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »
My impressions were the 2013 Sprint 14x25 was a bit slower accelerating and maintaining glide. -> and that board is already quick.  It seems the little bobble with the Race reflects less form drag - ie. it is slippery fast.  That feel may bother some paddlers but that bobble meant it was a sensitive race board accelerating really fast - its secondary stability was quite ok.  When power was put down it did settle down nicely and stabilize.

However would not go out on our DW runs as getting hit with side slop and reflected waves would not be that much fun.  But for others more skilled it would likely be fine.

The new 14x23 Sprint btw should be faster than last years's model according to designer Matt Rozier -

http://youtu.be/xGwj3fo0BFM
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
I still really love my 2013 14x25 Sprint, it's the only board I've paddled thus far that I can get in a groove (consistent cadence) and the miles fly by. Still looking for a replacement with a flatter standing area, this may be it. It was stupid to make a gray board that turns invisible in rain, fog, or twilight conditions, glad they returned to bright colors.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 05:01:25 AM »
Check the 2016 All Star Connor is paddling this year?
http://starboard-sup-italia.blogspot.com/2015/07/starboard-sup-race-2016_5.html

Marko

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:06:13 AM »
@photofr: You're now the owner of a 2016 Sprint. It would be great, if you could give a brief comparison between Race and Sprint.
I could get a 2015 14x25 Race or possibly a 2015 14x23 Sprint.
And what would be better for a paddler with 92kg?

Many thanks
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
if I were to get a SB Sprint x23 so the miles fly by I'd definitely get the 17' one.

For a 14' x25 I'd get the AllStar coz I'm a sucker for fun and planing once there are bumps going the same way as I am.

voila. Nothing to do with a Race so I don't even know why I blurted that out.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
I now have bought the 2015 Sprint 14x23, and I hope not fall into the water too often  8)
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal