Author Topic: Is there a method for glassing 28"+ wide sups w/ cloth that's 27" to 30" wide?  (Read 3247 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
In this thread http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27149.15.html we are discussing lay ups and glassing schedules and this question came up...

Is there a super-duper secret technique for glassing 28"+ wide SUP's with cloth that's only 27" to 30" wide? Or do you just buy the 40" to 43" wide stuff and end up with a ton of waste?

Thanks.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
That's like asking for the meaning of life, cowboy.  Wish there was a 38" s glass, right?  Two layers top, two bottom, one full ripped in quarters just to double wrap the rails? I'm sure there are any number of variations. I'm frankly amazed at how strong even my light lay-ups are, so I'll bet whatever you figure out will work. Good luck. Your question is why I have so many 8" or so wide pieces of cloth left over.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oops, my bad, magenta!

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
On a 14' race board I had 60" wide carbon.  I started with 3 yards (15.5 feet when actually measured) and did my bottom layup using one side of the cloth, with the cloth a bit curved to leave most of the off-cut on one side.  I was then left with an hourglass shaped piece.  After some careful measuring I cut the narrow part of the hourglass piece, leaving two pieces of carbon.  The narrow middle of the hourglass piece becomes the nose and tail, and I had about 18" of overlap in the standing area on the deck, where extra cloth is needed anyway.

It worked well for me, 3 yards of 60" carbon for the top and bottom of the board.  If you are talking wider surf-style at the nose though, I don't think this will work.

Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
personally I would say doing like that you are risking putting a twist in the board as it cures with the fibers not running parallel. If it were on a surf board it would also give it a very odd flex.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Yes I do wish there was something in the middle. >:(

When you say "one full ripped in quarters" are you saying that if the board is let's say 8' long that you'd cut an 8'+ long x 27"-30" wide piece of cloth into 4 long strips that would be approximately 8' long x 7" wide and wrap those around the rails? Have you done that? What if the board was 29" or 30" wide and the cloth was only 27"

That's like asking for the meaning of life, cowboy.  Wish there was a 38" s glass, right?  Two layers top, two bottom, one full ripped in quarters just to double wrap the rails? I'm sure there are any number of variations. I'm frankly amazed at how strong even my light lay-ups are, so I'll bet whatever you figure out will work. Good luck. Your question is why I have so many 8" or so wide pieces of cloth left over.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes I do wish there was something in the middle. >:(

When you say "one full ripped in quarters" are you saying that if the board is let's say 8' long that you'd cut an 8'+ long x 27"-30" wide piece of cloth into 4 long strips that would be approximately 8' long x 7" wide and wrap those around the rails? Have you done that? What if the board was 29" or 30" wide and the cloth was only 27"

I did something kind of like that on a board I covered in cork. Seemed to work fine.  That board is down in Mexico, so I obviously don't surf it all too often.  Sadly I think you're just gonna have to pick your poison.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
personally I would say doing like that you are risking putting a twist in the board as it cures with the fibers not running parallel. If it were on a surf board it would also give it a very odd flex.

Keep in mind though, that the fibres are all parallel to the board in the middle and only get a little angled at the ends  There's not much going on in terms of flex or loading at the tips, at least on the race board.  Maybe the thin tail of a high performance surf style board has a bit more flex?.  If anything the risk might be that the cloth might be a bit more prone to wrinkling, so you have to be careful of that if you are not vacuum bagging.  I've done this twice on a race board with no problems. 

Peter

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Also keep in mind that glass is available all over the Internet in 38" and 44". I'm just buying that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal