Author Topic: my board - is it the right size  (Read 2885 times)

baldbull

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
my board - is it the right size
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »
Picked this up for just under $500 at my local surf shop used with no dings/leakage. Couldnt pass it up. Anyway, I had a few questions....

I am a good surfer (intermediate - surfing my whole life). I bought this board for thigh-stomach high wave days to replace my longboard. Even after a few times out I am still pretty wobbly, falling quite a bit just standing, and getting tired pretty fast - but I am catching waves, surfing, and having fun. This board is made for advanced paddlers so I guess my question is, will this board feel good for me after using it quite a bit? Or is it too small for me? Good size? I am 36 yrs old, Weigh 160, and 5'11. I just see guys out there standing fine, not wobbling, and such and wonder if I made the wrong decision. Obviously if the board just requires me to be better thats fine and I will pick it up. My goal was to get a board that would surf like my longboard. Here are the board specs:

9'9" Hobie CP Stinger
Length 9’9”
Nose: 20.875”
Width: 28”
Tail: 16”
Thickness: 4.5”
Volume: 133.11 liters

Info on board - http://surfingsports.com/2009/05/hobie-chuck-patterson-stinger.asp

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: my board - is it the right size
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:02:03 AM »
As a lifelong surfer myself but for now strictly a flat water paddler I may not be the best person to answer (but I will try anyway).  I think part of it will have to do with what kind of SUP surfing are you apiring too?  Longboard or shortboard stye and what kind of regular surfing do you do?  If you're 5'11 and only 160 pounds I hardly think this board is too small but then I think it goes back to what kind of prone surfing you do. Another possibility is maybe the stringers on this board is just not something your ready for yet in a stand up surfboard.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:24:13 AM »
We use to sell Hobie's and actually I LIKE stinger SUP's This board has very soft rails and a slight belly in the bottom (as I remember) It won't be the easiest board to stand on but performance isn't bad. By today's standards (for beginners) this wouldn't be a good choice. For intermediate through advanced it is more doable

My solution is...

Practice a good bit on flat water and take it in the waves a a SMALL day first but with some practice this board is DOABLE!

vertseven

• Malibu Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • View Profile
    • I Can't Fish
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »
The size and volume are fine for your height/weight. The board is somewhat narrow for a beginner, but that's just a matter of time. I ride an 8'6" board (I'm 180lbs) and on glassy days I feel great. Add some chop and it gets more exciting.  :o

Four things that helped me. Time, relaxing my stance, Indo Board, and yoga.

baldbull

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »
Awesome! Thanks all. I thought it was fine and I just needed to get out there more but figured I would seek some other opinions just to be sure. Yea on the choppy days its a bit of a challenge haha. My biggest problem is not falling when I am paddling to catch the wave.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:56:01 AM »
When paddling flat water, switch your stance.  It feels really strange at first.  Then you learn to balance on the board.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »
28" is definitely narrow for a beginner, esp more so w/ that stepped-in tail.  Hard to go wrong for $500 though.  You'll either get used to it... or sell it on CL for more than you paid.  :)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:29:04 AM »
just suck it up, ride it nonstop. surf and flatwater!  don't be a puss.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal