Author Topic: Starboard Widepoint as an allrounder?  (Read 5368 times)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Widepoint as an allrounder?
« on: April 26, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »
A little background as usual - 6'1" and 200lbs, a total beginner, bought a JL Blade II at 29" wide and have decided I want to buy something used that might have some more stability for cruising around the bayous and Tampa Bay.  And MAYBE get out to the gulf to try and catch a wave or two for the first time.  I'll work my way up to the Blade.

The Starboards have caught my eye, but I'm open to anything with a good name that comes up used.  Had a chance to snag a good condition Starboard Big Easy in the Silver AST that I like so much for $500 last week.  I'm still real bummed for missing that deal  - I had an email snafu and missed the reply and it ended up selling later that evening.

Anyway, there's a 10'5" Widepoint a few hours south of here.  Did a little research and most, I think, have said they were happy with the glide, but I think most of the users were mostly in the surf, which will be opposite of me.  Is the widepoint (or Big Easy) something I should even be considering?

NSP and the Fanatic fly also seem to have nice 11' long and 31-32" wide boards that I think would be suitable for me, but again, its all what comes available.
Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Widepoint as an allrounder?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:45:22 PM »
Big EZ would've been a good one.  The Atlas, even better.  Wide Point, not as much... it's made for surfing. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:59:47 AM »
Thanks,  I'm glad I asked.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »
The bigger Fanatic AllWaves would be a fun choice too there must be a bunch around down there I'm always selling smaller AW to folks who bought bigger one from me earlier
Good luck and if I can be of any help let me know
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
my 9'5" widepoint, tho designed for surfing, works quite adequately for flatwater cruising.
now, if youre serious about racing, or down-winding, it would disappoint--but for just chilling around, it's fine.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Don't overlook a floaty stable board just because it's designed for the surf. You might not get to where you're going as fast as a race board, but who cares if you are having fun along the way. Then when you do catch a wave you're all set. My biggest board is a floaty 9'5" and I don't think I'm missing out on anything as far as cruising is concerned. A 10' 5" Widepoint can cruise with the best of them.

Another plus is a the board is easier to carry around and store than a longer flat water board.

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
I figure whatever I get, I'll always have the Blade II to fall back on for flatwater, once I get good enough to stay up on it.  So anything that's more stable than that is a step in the right direction.  I'm just trying to make a good choice, but since I'm limited to whatever comes on the used market, I can't control it too much.  I'm not even sure this Widepoint would still be available next week or if he could get down to my target price point.

Would love to just go and order up a new OneWorld, JL Cruise Control or a Fanatic Fly or something like that, but I'll keep watching craigslist for a while more.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
My buddy used to surf a 10'5" Widepoint.  He's on a much smaller board now for surfing, but his wife does long cruises around our local rivers/lakes on the Widepoint.  It's rocker isn't perfect for cruising (a little too much), but really, it does just fine.  Lots of volume in those things and very stable.   
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

FinnPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 05:22:55 AM »
I bought a used 12' Big Easy to be used as a "gliding surfer" of "surfing glider".

I mostly have ankle to thigh high  (Baltic Sea) onshore mush to surf. So I figured I'll benefit from a longer but still surfable board (I am 184cm, 85kg...so I need some volume too, especially with 6/5/4 winter suit & boot & gloves and the usual howling onshore surf conditions).

It seems to work surprisingly well in the surf...the combination of rocker/mono-concave/"scoop nose" on the front prevents pearling pretty well (despite the 12' length). Also, turns from the tail (still figuring out proper turns but getting' there). The board also gets to plane on minimal waves which is a big bonus here. Might even work somehow when downwinding due to the length, if not optimal for that purpose. Gotta try that soon.

Haven't "just" paddled the board much yet but it seems to glide pretty well. And the board is also pretty stable on the mush - the 32" width seems pretty good for the local onshore conditions here and in general whenever the surface is rough.

So, I guess the Big Easy is an OK option for your purposes. Bummer to hear you've missed the deal!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:39:48 AM by FinnPaddle »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
hello baltic sea--had to check my world map!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FinnPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 12:19:24 AM »
Nice -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Sea

Relatively small pond of water :) But enough to create some (wind)swell now and then. And on the other hand we have lots of nice coastal/archipelago areas just to cruise/paddle (+kite/windsurfing is ok too). Pollution/eutrophic is a problem though...shallow (brackish) water, protected by the Danish straits. That's sad cause otherwise it's beautiful here, on many different locations.

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:26:10 AM »
There's a Starboard Cruiser about 3 hours south of me - comes with a bag and paddle
Did some reading and the Cruiser seems to be pretty popular as an all round board.  Might try to see if I can make this happen. I was aiming for 31-32" wide but hoping to give this a try and see how it goes.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:38:12 AM by amheckSUP »
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »
Get a wide 12’6 downwind style race board, they surf just fine

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »
Any specific models to suggest?
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
That does not look like a Cruiser...
they are 12'6" and 30" Wide...

Looks more like a 10'5" X 30" Drive.
Very popular and a Great all rounder..

Resale value for sure...

There's a Starboard Cruiser about 3 hours south of me - comes with a bag and paddle
Did some reading and the Cruiser seems to be pretty popular as an all round board.  Might try to see if I can make this happen. I was aiming for 31-32" wide but hoping to give this a try and see how it goes.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:45:33 PM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal