Author Topic: inflatable in surf  (Read 7354 times)

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
inflatable in surf
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:01:17 AM »
I've been on Barbados surfing a sup at freights.  I saw a guy, obviously a beginner on a fanatic fly inflatable, pretty short one. Every time he tried to take off on a wave, the tail would lift and the blunt nose would plow water, slowing the board. He couldn't get any waves.
I don't think he was standing too far forward,  but the board didn't have any nose kick/ rocker.

I tried a similar board in Portugal last year and had same problem.

So my question is if anyone has experience with best around 9ft inflatable for small short period waves, that has correct nose rocker? I've been looking at Red surf star, but it doesn't appear to have nose rocker, ULI boards do though. 

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: inflatable in surf
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:23:34 AM »
I have very little time on the Surf Star so I don't want to comment, I'm on my carbon starboard when the waves are up. I have found though that you need to stand further back on an inflatable than on a similarly sized hard board when catching waves. Does make catching them harder but keeps the board from bogging down. Once you are on the wave, you're good to go though.

These comments come from riding the 10' Surfer and 10'6 Ride in knee to waist high surf.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:33:54 AM »
About a week or so I tried mine in the surf for the first time.. It's do'able.. but I'm not sure that I'd say it was enjoyable..

The trick is to get waaaay back.. and keep it pointed towards the shore.. Keeping the nose up is the most important thing..

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:01:43 AM »
Two points:

1. I think I saw you smile. A few times. And a thumbs up.

2. You probably need bigger waves. Like DOH. That'll maximize your inflatable fun.

As always, thanks for sharing. Always enjoyable to watch you at this fantastic location.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:11:25 AM by feet »

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
Also, in reply to OP - I have a 9' Uli Lopez that catches everything just fine. Getting back a little more than usual is helpful, but the Uli has a great shape for surfing.

Check out this blog I found detailing how the Uli surfs:

http://lifeamphibious.blogspot.com/2014/08/uli-special-edition-gerry-lopez-90.html

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
Feet,
Thats the ULI board I was looking at. Looks like a good nose kick.

Others, sounds not positive about surfing with inflatable.  Maybe I should kill the idea. I'm looking at inflatable because I want to keep it in my car so I go out after-work direct from work.

And I do travel to places at least once a year. Also have chance to paddle at Kamakura south of Tokyo on work trips.

Other options are to get a van. Which is not really needed otherwis,  expensive and gas costs a fortune in Sweden. Or I can make a stubby tomo board that will fit in the Volvo station wagon.

Or get some sort of lock and roof rack the board, leAve it unattended at work in parking lot..

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Inflatables are a compromise.  Compared to a similar epoxy/eps sup, they lose performance. But you get a highly transportable, compact sup that is tough as nails and WILL surf well, but won't be as good as a hard sup. For me, it works well enough. I can bring it anywhere with ease and leaving it uninflated in the car waiting for the opportunity to get on the water is a major plus. If it means you get to surf more, I can't see a downside. 

Alternatively, a short tomo or simmons styled sup may be better. You get the hard sup performance PLUS the ease of moving a board that is only 7-8' long. If you make it yourself, it'll be cheaper and you get to brag about your craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:20:53 AM by feet »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:35:50 AM »
My big ole Red Paddle Mega is fun to surf.  I kind of like being out on that big sponge, it is always fun.

You have to stand back on it, and the turning options, of course, are limited. The thick rails catch easily to turn it over, so you have to be in the right direction.

I nose rode it once by accident, since I don't actually know how to nose ride.  The Mega got jammed up going lateral on a wave, and I tried to straighten it out by moving forward and wound up riding it with my front foot out on the nose and it stayed stable for a few seconds that way to my shock and amazement.

People around Sharks and Privates remember me based on the large Mega inflatable that I used to ride most of the time, and they seem to chuckle a little bit when they see me on something else. I must have provided some clownish entertainment when I was learning on it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:38:45 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 12:51:28 PM »
my SUP life began with a red paddle MEGA, and for almost 1/2 year i surf with that.

took it up in big surf and i must say its super easy to cath waves with it, BUT nothing like surfing the wave, it was more like point the board to the Wall and hold if you can while the nose goes up and down, more like riding a jellyfish thing

http://www.olasyvientos.com/12cuerpo-fotos/pepe-15-junio-2013-kake.php  the last pic its me and that was a day with 15 knots offshor that made very difficult to catch waves

Still have the mega, it has it place in my quiver (fishing) and SUPER FAMILY AND FRIENDS use. You throw that n any beach and anybody can try SUP with the kids, with wife, everybody on it like its an island...super user friendly.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
Feet,
Thats the ULI board I was looking at. Looks like a good nose kick.

Others, sounds not positive about surfing with inflatable.  Maybe I should kill the idea. I'm looking at inflatable because I want to keep it in my car so I go out after-work direct from work.

And I do travel to places at least once a year. Also have chance to paddle at Kamakura south of Tokyo on work trips.

Other options are to get a van. Which is not really needed otherwis,  expensive and gas costs a fortune in Sweden. Or I can make a stubby tomo board that will fit in the Volvo station wagon.

Or get some sort of lock and roof rack the board, leAve it unattended at work in parking lot..

Call me if you want to demo our boards in Kamakura.

090-6653-0557

We have 9'6" in stock now and 8'1" coming next month, both are fun in the surf.
(We have both as demo boards available now)
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

FinnPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 05:30:10 AM »
Hey 55NSup -

I've surfed some on RED 10'8" in Finland, see:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25937.msg265155.html#msg265155

Bought it from my friend for 150€...he got another as a reclamation - as the board has some very minor bruising/twist on the nose. I also tried the same board earlier in very mellow (but good waves) in Baleal, Portugal.

I've tried to learn (prone) surfing through the years but it's hard as most of my time is spent in Finland. However, I was surprisingly pleased to find out that with SUP you can catch waves (even though angle high at times) much easily even here...I calculated that I went SUP surfing around 15 times this winter (which was very stormy and warm - no ice on the baltic sea at all).

The RED was a good start for me but just recently I bought a hard Starboard 12' "Big Easy" for an all around board - for small waves, flat water, some down winding and also planning to to try WindSUP with that same board.

Everything said here about the RED sounds familiar:

- Yes, you can surf it but it is mostly  going straight to the shore

- Sometimes you get a good trim and be able to hold the rail,  and can go (slightly) down the line...and at this situation, I've found it quite easy to practice cross-stepping (hooked on that and plan to practice some more on my new Starboard)

- When dropping you gotta go back on the board...way back as said

- Actual turns are hard. I guess by pivoting and using the paddle very skilful riders can do that (but a hard, "real" board is still night and day compared...even I, a complete hack, can feel that on my still "tankerish" 12' Starboard...it turns if I press the tail right...just like a big longboard)

- Pros: rocks don't matter. And as others here I am definitely keeping as a family/loaner board. Already have had couple of friends introduced to the sport. The big board also catches very small waves - here in Finland that's also a point...a tiny surf is still at least some surf  :)

PS. here is some example of small, erratic windswell I tend to surf here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152820746613348&pnref=story

PPS. I guess Red 9'2" surf star would be nice travelling board. With the RSS system, I'd believe it performs much better in surf? Personally, I've decided that I sup/sus home and practice prone surfing when travelling (but that might change as I am quite hooked to SUP stuff at the moment! So, maybe several board quiver is the only real answer here... 8))

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:37:30 AM by FinnPaddle »

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 06:02:00 AM »
The verdict is that you talked me out of getting an I-sus.  99% ofvthe time will be use on home turf.

I've decided to get a Thule SUP taxi 810, that will lock board to rack. It costs 300 usd here in Sweden. :-\  I could get the lockable straps, but I think it will be better for the board because I often drive an hour between my weekend place that has decent waves.

Next winter I'll probably make a sus board i can have down here in city so I don't have to haul it back N forth on hour drive...

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:43:01 AM »
I've really enjoyed surfing my Uli Fat-Ass Quad.  Never been in much on it over shoulder high, but had some very fun days at chest high Waikiki and Washington State surf...
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
55-N- I scoped out your photos of your other builds and it would be a shame if you didn't make your own. 

GreatDane - let's see some pics of your Uli!

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
Feet, been thinking about how I can get this project in during spring / summer so it's ready for fall season... Have not finished the boys 10-6,  but soon.

My wife thinks I spend too much time out in the shop as it is, not making furniture for the house or some other domestic task....and I Don't want to miss any outdoor sessions now that it's getting warmer and lighter up here.

We will see.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal