Author Topic: Closer look - Starboard 12'6 x 25 Sprint  (Read 2502 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Closer look - Starboard 12'6 x 25 Sprint
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:01 PM »
Just came back from a little run on my Starboard 12'6 x 24 Sprint. It was windy, 20 knots with unusual much stronger gusts. The playground was well "lid up" for the board choice.
To my great surprise, this little Sprint board did very well.

In case you are wondering, it was a workout on the legs (and the whole body really) but super fun.
I am using the 2014 model, but the 2015 is WAY more stable (even though just 1" wider). A lot of that may come from its different hull design, as well as the carved out area for your feet that I like so much. Regardless, both boards surf little runs with ease.

I am not a very big paddler (128 pounds) - board weight seems to play a huge role for me. My Sprint comes in at around 9 kg, so trowing it around is pretty easy, and getting it on a runner is a breeze.

So here's to sharing couple of photos with you guys (from Brittany, France).

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Closer look - Starboard 12'6 x 25 Sprint
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
Thanks for posting that. You're brave man to ride that board in chop, I'm just able to go directly upwind or downwind on my 2013. Very puzzled why my Sprint is so much faster downwind than the 2014 Fanatic flatwater, although the Fanatic is faster upwind.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: Closer look - Starboard 12'6 x 25 Sprint
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
It's never easy getting out in super windy and choppy conditions on my 24" sprint board, but when I get home: I feel really good about the leg workout. Sort of feel like I accomplished something.
Balancing did take some getting used to. At first, there was "no way", but now I can paddle in rather rough conditions for a a little over an hour.

Took little steps for me… but the best recommendations I have for anyone with balance issues:
Practice shorter strokes (nothing past your heels at all).
Paddle up-front only (It's redundant, only because I feel it's so important)
Learn to brace.
Bend your knees a little (more).
Practice all that on calmer waters, and then progressively add wind / chop.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal