Author Topic: Does having to pump up inflatable ever deter going out?  (Read 26542 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does having to pump up inflatable ever deter going out?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Deflating is super fast. Too noisy maybe? It's a big FAWWOOOSHHsshhhhhs....for the first 5 seconds or so then normall sshhhhhhhhh......  I paddle at 6am at a local lake with houses nearby - the pump whistles when I inflate too - I think the bug will need some sort of rack so I can leave it inflated..........I suppose you could inflate with CO2 like the 4x4 guys I hang with sometimes do. Hmm...I should see how fast (slow) my 1/4hp electric compressor will fill. It's not as noisy as my idling diesel VW Bug. Not great for 6am but ok during the day.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
I just got a 2014 Red Paddle Co Surfer.  It came with the Ezee HP pump, and it really wasn't hard to get it up to 23 or so.  That being said, I'm leaving it inflated because, yes, if I deflated and inflated every time I went out, I wouldn't go out as often.  I'll deflate if I'm going on a long road trip, but otherwise, it's staying pumped up.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
Damn, look at the fat ass on the totem! Howzit ride??

Here's Steamroller's solution: make the groms do the pumping.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:51 PM »
Hey Feet that buggah flys !  You gotta check one out.  I'm running Futures Controllers on mine but we have a couple with twin keels the guys are really raving about.  That's Tom English in the photo "somewhere south of SanO."
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45:52 AM »
Awesome shot!

Just wondering -- has the Uli R&D dept ever played around with more material on the bottom to create contours?  A transition on the rail from a double layer to single layer to regular board on each side would give you some sort of shape.  Perhaps you could even create the channel shape that is being developed by certain hard brands.  Even if the material on the bottom was plastic, it would afford you the chance to integrate some interesting contours. Just thinking out loud. 

The introduction of the totem doesn't bode well for my bank account. I'm going to try and resist it for as long as possible.  8)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
Feet - you are getting dangerously close to ULI Skunk Works territory and should probably be on the look out for the black helicopters with that kind of talk.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 12:00:15 AM »
How about getting a car battery powered air compressor?  These can blow up your isup in 30 secs, the top off if needed with the hand pump.  Many of my students use these for our paddles. Then use the compressor to deflate as well. 

NRS has a pump for isups, i'm sure there's others as well or get a non sup product. 
http://www.nrs.com/product/1706/bravo-high-pressure-12-volt-pump
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 07:21:31 AM »
Rob that's the Bravo electric pump.  Do a search in SUZ and you'll get a lot of info on it. Bravo does branded hand & electric pumps for most of the companies that sell iSUPs.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »
I was in Singapore for the Easter break with my family. Took my wife's Red 10-6 Ride iSUP with us, and had a 22 minute paddle along the South West coast of Sentosa Island from Siloso Beach, which is where South East Asia's longest zip line is. 22 minutes was all the time I had before the Zipline opened at 9am and there would have been some disappointed kids if I'd gone out longer.. So...

Is it a pain to have to pump up a board?  Yep, but is really not that bad with the right pump..
Could I have rented a SUP? Yes, but not that early, and not on this side of the island
Was it worth it? Sure was. First time I've paddled there and it was stunning..
..and the Zipline was awesome too..

https://youtu.be/epfgcPUqzx0
Vid shows the complete inflate and deflate (speeded up).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:32:06 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
Lucky no one stole your pump and travel bag. Or did you take those on the board with you?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
Lucky no one stole your pump and travel bag. Or did you take those on the board with you?

I hid the travel bag, pump etc in some bushes behind where I pumped the board up. Everything else went in my dry bag. It was early so no one was really on the beach. Under other circumstances I would probably try to find a place to store them. The Zipline place did have lockers big enough to rent which was just along the beach.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:02 AM »
Also good thing you found a nice clean patch of grass to deflate and roll up the isup. I think it's not just the pumping up part that's a deterrent. Other factors as well but sometimes the payoff may be worth some of the hassles.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »
the payoff may be worth some of the hassles.

Hassles??  He took his SUP on a bus, got a nice morning paddle in, and avoided the embarassment of renting one of those damn roto-molded sea anchors (err, kayaks...) lined up on the hotel beach.  I really don't see any hassle w/ a good iSUP.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »
I just got back from a trip where I didn't take my inflatable, and spent most every morning kicking myself. the hotel's equipment, in the rare times it was available, left a lot to be desired.

the payoff may be worth some of the hassles.

Hassles??  He took his SUP on a bus, got a nice morning paddle in, and avoided the embarassment of renting one of those damn roto-molded sea anchors (err, kayaks...) lined up on the hotel beach.  I really don't see any hassle w/ a good iSUP.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 05:48:24 AM »
Also good thing you found a nice clean patch of grass to deflate and roll up the isup. I think it's not just the pumping up part that's a deterrent. Other factors as well but sometimes the payoff may be worth some of the hassles.

It was one of the few patches around, but rolling a wet iSUP up on sand is always to be avoided if possible. Keeping sand out of the valve area is a must.

I also carry an FCS portable soft roof rack with me and so if I rent a car, I can pump up once and carry the iSUP on the car roof for short journeys. No highway stuff but fine for everything else.. http://www.surffcs.com/shop/surf-auto/fcs-cam-lock-soft-racks-single. You'll see as I pack up the board this grey oblong bag, which fits inside the iSUP travel bag..

If you don't want to pump and deflate every trip to the water, this works as long as you have a secure area to keep the inflated board when not on the car, and don't have to leave it on the car in unsecure areas
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:03:08 AM by Off-Shore »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal