Author Topic: TTT's - The Thanks Thread  (Read 3933 times)

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
TTT's - The Thanks Thread
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:20 PM »
Based on my experience, seems to me that the Zone needs a "Thanks Thread" - a place that those of us who have been on the receiving end of pay-it-forward type actions can express our thanks.  I'll go first . . . 

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: TTT's - The Thanks Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:18:47 PM »
Mention the name “Ralph” – and I suspect most regular readers of the Zone immediately think the same thing:

•   Sup-position
•   Zone sponsor
•   Killer L 41’s at $850 (see classified ad below)
•   Naish dealer
•   Huntington Beach

At least that’s what previously went through my mind when I’d hear “Ralph” in the same sentence as SUS and California.   

After I had the opportunity to meet up with Ralph for a couple of dawn patrols, though, a couple of other associations are now added to the list above – Great guy & Hilarious

First, the “great guy” part:  I realized on Wednesday when starting out on a cross country business trip to northern Nevada that I might be able to make a quick hop over to SoCal for some weekend waves.  Trouble was, it appeared that my normal go-to equipment sources were not accessible.  Enter Ralph, and his text message Saturday morning in response to my inquiry about an L 41 demo – “I will splash 8’0” S3”

Wow!  Two dawn patrols later, I’m back on my way to northern Nevada after having the opportunity to finally try the L 41’s that have made believers out of so many. 

Now for the “hilarious” part:  Yet another nice part of this trip was the opportunity to meet up with StrandLeper, another great guy whom I’m honored to call a friend.  Just so happens that SL and I are both lawyers, and both a couple of inches north of 6’ tall.  Ralph’s . . . uhmm, not.  After I met up for Sunday’s dawn patrol with Ralph and SL, and not five minutes after meeting Ralph for the first time, Ralph pointed out that it’s a good thing SL brought a paddle for my use – because if I had to use Ralph’s shorter paddle, the result would be “two lawyers bending over.”  Funny Ralph.

Even better than the contemporaneous lawyer jokes, though, was Ralph’s infectious laughing in the water.  I’ve got to say that I’ve never heard anyone laugh so much in the line-up.  Sure does keep things light, and fun – and as far as I could tell, seems to have a good effect on the proners. 

Needless to say, I’m now a big Ralph fan.  That L 41 sure was nice too!

Thanks Ralph!     

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »
Oops  -  extemporaneous!

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
Nice Glenn... I suspected as much... great to hear!

I am very psyched for the Leper sighting.... stoked to hear good stories about SL.... a favorite son in my book :D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
Nice story......we need more lawyer jokes....:). I miss SL too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
What's the story with SL? Did he get kicked out of the zone?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
You know what they say about attorneys who surf? Well it's complicated. Let's just leave it at that:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
What's the story with SL? Did he get kicked out of the zone?
He didn't get kicked out.  He just got tired of having to figure out how to write entire posts without using any "e"s (or was it "i"s?). 

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
Super cool meeting up with You too...
Especially great to put two lawyers, a Phd Professor, and a Ralph
in the line up Sunday..
My observation was that educated (smart) people gravitate toward SUP.

Glad that you got a chance to catch up with SL.

He is a fine man....
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:47 AM »
I'm stoked to send a thanks to capobeachboy!  He reached out to me and offered help on an April 2014 trip I took from MI to CA.  My wife had a training near Huntington Beach and, being desperate from winter, I flew out for just the weekend.  He met me at dawn with a board and a paddle and sent me off into the surf.  We met up again near Dana Point for the return.  His effort really hooked it up for me on that trip and I still quite appreciate it.  Great Lakes surf trips might be less attractive to some but Zoners should hit me up if needed.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
I'm stoked to send a thanks to capobeachboy!  He reached out to me and offered help on an April 2014 trip I took from MI to CA.  My wife had a training near Huntington Beach and, being desperate from winter, I flew out for just the weekend.  He met me at dawn with a board and a paddle and sent me off into the surf.  We met up again near Dana Point for the return.  His effort really hooked it up for me on that trip and I still quite appreciate it.  Great Lakes surf trips might be less attractive to some but Zoners should hit me up if needed.

XL - Having spent some time on Michigan's Upper Peninsula last "spring," I can appreciate how nice that April trip must have been.
It never ceases to amaze me how an hour or two of paddling and/or surfing can be so rejuvenating, and make an otherwise ho hum day or weekend into something special.  And making a new friend to boot is just awesome!

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »
Great thread choice.  Lots of people to thank.  Probably and most importantly, my dad.  I just went to Stowe VT with my wife, kids and dad for a few days of time on the mountain.  Sounds normal until you hear that my dad is going to be 81 in three months.  He led all weekend and while he was wearing two planks and the rest of us including my twin 8 year olds were on boards, pretty cool to see and experience.  Dad always let me find my own way and not sure why-but he did.  He learned to fly and then flew fighter planes in the Navy after his father was killed in the worst aviation disaster in history in 1949.  He has loved the ocean but never surfed but took me to the beach whenever I asked as a kid.  I hope at almost 81, I am still able to go do something I love and spend time with family.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:19:38 PM by Kojack »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal