Author Topic: 2014 Naish 14 Glides upwind?  (Read 6053 times)

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2014 Naish 14 Glides upwind?
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:03 AM »
G'Day -

Looking for some input from those of you with experience with the 2014 board and it's reworked rocker and bow. I want to know how it goes upwind, and into chop either head on or cross wind. I can't discern from the bow if it will/would/does cut into that kind of water or "slap" like a planning bow would/will. My experience with a Starboard Pin, had a piercing bow and planning hull was it cut at first but then slapped like a mad man into the wind. Not very efficient or fun.

I have sold my old board and am now shopping very carefully for the next one.........since my budget is way tight, [about $1500 US max, [less would be a better number supporting marital bliss!], and I won't be positioned to replace this one for some time I want to choose well! I am 5'10" and 190# +/- with pretty decent balance.

I kind of have it narrowed to new old stock 2012 Naish Carbon Glide 12'6"x30" I found scouring the net, [the only year they made them in carbon, comes with the eco-bag],  at the max end of my budget. Or a couple different 2014 14' GS Glides with the new lower rocker, $1200 to $1300 new, no bag, either 27.25" or the 29" model. [which poses yet another question......which one of those is better, weight difference included??]  Of course if you are looking in this range then, a used Bark Dominator,[seen them as low as $1000],  is a possibility............

I'll likely mostly be using it in flat water, and want to feel the reward and speed and of paddling hard, but eventually want downwind capability. I don't relish the weight of the GS 14' Glide....at all. But, if having a 14 footer is a worthwhile choice, better glide, faster, I'd consider making the trade off. Really, really torn and could use some experienced advice, please!

Thanks in advance!
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: 2014 Naish 14 Glides upwind?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:49 AM »
I do have a 2013 GS Glide 14x27.5 and a LA Aercor fin.
The board is heavy but in choppy confused water it is just great.
Nicer to paddle than a displacement bow going through with all the water coming on top of the nose or slapping.

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
You asked and this is just one opinion. I've paddled Naish boards a lot and owned 4. 2 Glides and 2 Javelins. I raced the 2014 Javelin LE 26" wide model at the 2014 Gorge Paddle Challenge.

Unfortunately, the Glide, even with the reworked rocker, is NOT going to be very good going upwind into chop. Although the nose looks like a modified displacement type, with the design of the bow, that nose is never going to be slicing through much. Instead, the board is going to slap because the points of contact at the bow are on the rocker. If you can, demo one. Look at it in the water from the side so you can observe it's floating profile and you will understand why the reworked bow does not help the board's upwind performance. Plus, as you already realize, the board is heavy and that weight creates a lot of penalty for flat water paddling. Or, even for downwinding, although weight can help the board keep momentum. But, you have to overcome that weight to get it up to speed for catching swell.

All that said, the Glide, in all the builds, is a great downwind and rough water board. It will catch and ride swells and with a good fin choice, it surfs great. You will always be smiling going downwind. It also is very stable and handles a variety of choppy conditions very well. But, when that rockered nose is facing into the chop, slap, slap, slap.

The carbon Javelin LE is the Glide in trimmed down, race form. I LOVED the 2014, 26" wide version of that board. They are somewhat delicate and are probably out of your price range. But, they go downwind like crazy in everything short of true open-ocean conditions and they are reasonably good on the race course in flat water. They also do decently into the chop. At 26", with their rocker, they are a bit more to keep up to race speed than other truly specialized flat water race boards. But, at 22 lbs, they are still competitive. If you can find a used LE, check it out thoroughly. Weigh the board because they are easily damaged and can gain weight quick if they get a little crack in the skin. Check that there are no bubbles or soft spots in the skin or any signs of delam if there should be one of these available. The new 2015 models went to 23 or 24 inches wide with changes to the outline/profile. Not the same board and not as all-round versatile as the earlier 2013 version. The older Javelins, like the 2012 which is 23" wide, I would not recommend unless you're light and have great patience and balance.

I've not tried the Glide in 12' 6" so can't offer any comments. The 14' Glide is a board you can live with and be very happy with if your paddling is biased towards mostly downwind runs. If you are going to do mostly flat water and choppy stuff, it's still got a lot going for it. But, the rockered nose is designed for downwind performance (which it does great at) and it is a penalty in upwind conditions.

Just my $.02, and the advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. ;D Good luck and paddle stuff before you lay out your hard earned cash!

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
I did not read the "upwind" aspect and was thinking downwind and across chop in general.
What cove surfer said. Upwind the Javelin works better as long as you really stay upwind otherwise it could be swimming time :-)
And yes I would have loved to be able to get the Carbon version of the Glide instead of the GS but money does not grow on trees...

I do have a 2013 GS Glide 14x27.5 and a LA Aercor fin.
The board is heavy but in choppy confused water it is just great.
Nicer to paddle than a displacement bow going through with all the water coming on top of the nose or slapping.

Cheers,

Luc
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:09:09 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »

And yes I would have loved to be able to get the Carbon version of the Glide instead of the GS but money does not grow on trees...

Amen to that! I have had a lot of boards but most of them I have bought used or gotten on pro deals (when I worked for a shop). Even then, cost IS a big factor. I'm sorry to say that doing a downwind board upgrade for me is simply out of the question and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. Until the guys with the now-new, lightweight Bullet 17's begin selling them off used in another year. Even then, they will likely be too dear to own. Oh well, there are worse problems to have, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:38:36 PM by covesurfer »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
A Bark Dominator will go much better upwind than any of the Glides.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
G'Day -

Looking for some input from those of you with experience with the 2014 board and it's reworked rocker and bow. I want to know how it goes upwind, and into chop either head on or cross wind. I can't discern from the bow if it will/would/does cut into that kind of water or "slap" like a planning bow would/will. My experience with a Starboard Pin, had a piercing bow and planning hull was it cut at first but then slapped like a mad man into the wind. Not very efficient or fun.

I have sold my old board and am now shopping very carefully for the next one.........since my budget is way tight, [about $1500 US max, [less would be a better number supporting marital bliss!], and I won't be positioned to replace this one for some time I want to choose well! I am 5'10" and 190# +/- with pretty decent balance.

I kind of have it narrowed to new old stock 2012 Naish Carbon Glide 12'6"x30" I found scouring the net, [the only year they made them in carbon, comes with the eco-bag],  at the max end of my budget. Or a couple different 2014 14' GS Glides with the new lower rocker, $1200 to $1300 new, no bag, either 27.25" or the 29" model. [which poses yet another question......which one of those is better, weight difference included??]  Of course if you are looking in this range then, a used Bark Dominator,[seen them as low as $1000],  is a possibility............

I'll likely mostly be using it in flat water, and want to feel the reward and speed and of paddling hard, but eventually want downwind capability. I don't relish the weight of the GS 14' Glide....at all. But, if having a 14 footer is a worthwhile choice, better glide, faster, I'd consider making the trade off. Really, really torn and could use some experienced advice, please!

Thanks in advance!

The  2014 14' Glide goes into the wind well and handles cross winds better than most..

I'm surprised that you thought the Pin didn't go I to the wind very well.. I think the trick with paddling into wind is to move forward and keep the nose very low..

btw.. Pretty sure there was never a 12'6" x 30" Glide in carbon.. ever..

IMO that 2014 14' x 29" GS Glide would be a perfect board for what you're after as long as you don't have any problem lifting it on and off the car roof..

The Bark is going to be another very good option.. and it's probably the best at going straight into the wind.. (but I think the Glide beats in in cross winds).. and if it's mostly going to be used in flat water the Bark will probably be the best board..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:37:44 PM by DavidJohn »

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
Thanks all for the replies.......however mixed. Really appreciate the feedback!!

DJ, not to buck you, as you are a respected contributor here, but there was a indeed a 2012 carbon glide.......http://www.bigwinds.com/sup/category/63/product/2082
watch the video.....Robby himself telling us it's the big brother to the Jav. Gotta go with that.

Given how many posts I've read of yours regaling the merits of your 12 6, I'm thinking one f those in carbon is the ticket and unless I hear otherwise think that's where I'm headed. Lower weight, wave piercing bow, stability, fast, and downwinds decent [for a 12 6 anyway], and it's not 14' of board to deal with. I think you're correct that I was not piloting my Pin well enough to engage the bow as intended. That board had too much rocker and too low of volume for my big ass to ever get really comfy on it. And when I did get forward the tail would come out of the water. IT wasn't pretty. Did fine in flat water but soon as it got bumpy it required all of my attention. An I mean ALL!  Not a good excuse but there it is.......I am also worried that the BARK could be fragile. Unlike what I have read about any but the high end Naishs.

Covesurfer - I have seen many profile pictures of the 2014 14' glide and even though it's rocker line is much flatter than previous years it still has quite a bit rocker in the nose, and the planning hull appears to kick in nearly instantly......and that's what drove my post. Obviously great for downwind but sooner or later you gotta up or cross wind. My fear, as confirmed by your experience even if contrary to DJ's, is that the bow won't really want to engage upwind........making the board slap-happy. Not to mention the SIGNIFICANT weight which I just cannot get my head around. You take 34 lb. board, bag it, now it's closer to 39 lb.s and lift it over your head in even 15 knots and that can be a recipe for a bad back. And an LE, well just too skinny, fragile and expensive for me.

I think the 12 6 Carbon Glide is the ticket for a good time within my budget and intended use. Really hard to get it all with one board but rarely do folks complain about their 12 6 Glides, so just imagine it in carbon at about 28 lb.s instead of 34+ lb.s!!

Really do appreciate all the feed back and having experienced folks to help me think this through. Anything anyone wants to add in conclusion is certainly welcome!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
IMO that board is not a 12'6'' x 30'' Glide..  :) .. It looks like a 12'6'' x 28'' Jav ..  :-\..

Maybe they were a US only release because they never came out here..

I've had 3 or 4 of them and here they only did the 12'6'' x 30'' in an AST and them GS with the new ones..

I still use mine most days.. [even today].. Great board..  :)

btw I listened to it three times.. with my mouth open in disbelief..  ;D

I'm sure the first 12'6'' Glide came in 28'' wide carbonn.. and 30'' wide AST..

They soon changed the 28'' carbon name to Jav and left the 30'' AST board a Glide..

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:54:54 PM by DavidJohn »

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »
Hey DJ!

I just listened to it again......he says this is 30" wide. Really! And the specs at the bottom of the page.....30" wide. So is it a 30" Javelin then?

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
sorry hit reply before I meant to.....If not a glide what is it then?

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »
sorry about your disbelief factor but happy  ;)  to know I'm not nuts! I have tried to do my homework before asking for help....actually talked to a local guy that had one as well. I'll keep ya posted! Thanks again.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
If you really can buy a 12'6''x30'' Glide in carbon.. Buy it.. It will be a collectors item..  :)

Check first that it is black along the rails in the rear half [that means it's carbon]

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
yeah! think it already is a collectors item. and black along the rails, back half, that's the give-away.

thanks DJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal