Author Topic: Preferred adjustable paddle  (Read 7428 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Preferred adjustable paddle
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »
What is the best adjustable SUP paddle for everything but surfing?  Looking for opinions here.......I will paddle mostly on flat water, lakes, bays, etc.   I'm looking at the Werner Nitro, but I'd like input about other great paddles.  Must be adjustable!  Thanks!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preferred adjustable paddle
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
Kialoa Insanity paddles are awesome.  Light and extremely durable.  I've had one for about a year and still love it.  Mine's not adjustable though.  REI is selling the adjustable Insanity pretty cheap.  Here's a link:

http://www.rei.com/product/868029/kialoa-insanity-adjustable-stand-up-paddle/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla_multichannel-_-8680290004&mr:trackingCode=15C100CB-6380-E411-A521-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannelonline&mr:ad=54044385760&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=117703198360&msid=jUmm4UWy_dc|pcrid|54044385760|
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:49:17 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
You can add an adjustable part to any Ke Nalu paddle for about ten bucks. I don't really like adjustables, I prefer the semi-adjustable nature of Ke Nalu's where you use a hairdryer or heat gun to change the length. The adjusters always seem to either get in the way with their bulk or not hold well. I love the Kialoa adjuster that integrates in the handle, but I haven't heard much about people using them.

I guess really I don't like the clunky way adjusters look--except for Kialoa's
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
My fave is the extra long adjustable length Ke Nalu handle. You just need a heat gun, torch or hairdryer to adjust. No mechanical engineering or contraption required. Simple, totally effective, no added weight and elegant. And, the paddl es are flat out excellent. I own three and wish I had one for my outrigger canoe!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:46 PM »
Sheesh. talk about thread wander.

Actually you can make a canoe paddle out of one of those three. That's all I did--cut a shaft down and used the extended ergo T. That shaft from the paddle you made me bust is probably a good length for you--you can save your SUP shaft. I'll measure it. You have to use a lot of hot glue, because the tapered shaft makes the handle pretty loose, but it works.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 05:10:42 AM »
I have a 3-piece Werner Nitro and love it. Simple pin system, tight fit, no clunky clamp piece. It can also be easily adjusted on the fly, which is a big advantage in my opinion.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 05:34:15 AM »
Kialoa Insanity paddles are awesome.  Light and extremely durable.  I've had one for about a year and still love it.  Mine's not adjustable though.  REI is selling the adjustable Insanity pretty cheap.  Here's a link:

http://www.rei.com/product/868029/kialoa-insanity-adjustable-stand-up-paddle/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla_multichannel-_-8680290004&mr:trackingCode=15C100CB-6380-E411-A521-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannelonline&mr:ad=54044385760&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=117703198360&msid=jUmm4UWy_dc|pcrid|54044385760|

I agree.. and their new carbon handle looks awesome..

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 06:18:10 AM »
My (very limited) experience with adjustable paddles is that they tend to take on water (not a big deal for flat water).  Does anyone have practical experience with the Insanity paddle in this regard?  It would be cool to have an adjustable loaner.

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
They do get water.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 06:33:32 AM »
i use kenalu paddles with their somewhat limited adjustable handle--"somewhat" means it adjusts fine for me, as I try new lengths in the surf, and once in a blue moon use to flat water--the range of adjustability is fine for just me

to be able to adjust between users of significantly differing heights, it is not enough.

best i have seen and used for bigger range of adjustability is the kialoa adjustable, which i have on an insanity paddle--works great, be adjusted on the fly, and has never leaked. the one i have is basically the same as dj pictures--not carbon, of course--much prefer my kenalus, but keep the insanity adjustable around for kids to use etc.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 07:25:48 AM »
I was a big fan of my Kialoa Methane ..but I fell on it - busted.  Prior to fixing I bought a spare ..and thought why not an adjustable that I could up/dn at will?!  Unlike the handle DJ posted, this one is dreadful.

The adjustable function is not bad and it does not lump the shaft.  There is 'something' about the shape and width.  At 3.5" wide you'd think it would fit my 4" palm well ..other grips do?!  Perhaps it is the cutout for the adjuster or the open web or the front center is too flush...  All I know is that as soon as the weather breaks, it will become a bargaining chip when I sell a board.

I'll stick to what Bill does (I previously) ..cut and glue.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »
I've been using a Werner Fuse 2-piece adjustable for years and find the adjustability to be very convenient and the mechanism to work on the fly and flawlessly. That said, I have two caveats: It's the only adjustable paddle I've ever used and I've broken the handle off 3x (Werner has warrantied it each time).
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:22:09 AM »
Our adjustable SUP paddles have the new streamlined lever clamp...adj. range 67" - 86"...but, we can easily cut them down for shorter lengths...
We also have them in a 3-piece configuration...

We have paddled our paddles head to head with most of the major paddle brands that we used to carry in our retail store…and, our paddles are flat out better…perfect flex in the shaft…no flutter from the blades, comfy carbon grip…non-slip carbon shaft…awesome workmanship…incredible strength/weight…built to last years…IMO, best bang for the buck on the market...

Only $219 for the carbon shaft/fiberglass blade...and, $289 for the all carbon shaft/blade with beautiful bamboo or basswood veneer...our non-adjustable versions are $20 less...

There are testimonials and lots of detailed pics/info on these pages...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/adjustable-sup-paddle

http://supsports.com/sup-paddles

A few customer testimonials:

I have been buying gear from Wardog, the proprietor of this business, for more than 10 years. He has always set me up with the best gear for me and my family at fair pricing. He rides what he sells and takes the time to determine the best fit for us to indulge in that overwhelming joy that can be experienced by riding a board on water. Dealing with SUP Sports’ staff has always been a positive experience.

My current indulgence of board on water has been SUP surfing. I have to say that SUP Sports carbon/bamboo 90 sq. in. paddle is my favorite. I have tried many other more expensive name brand paddles and always go back to the SUP Sports paddle. I recently bought the three piece model for easy air travel to an upcoming Maui surf vacation.
Alan M – Stockton, CA

My wife and I had purchased paddle boards from REI but couldn’t find a paddle for her. We stumbled upon SUP Sports in SB and bought her a paddle that they custom cut to her. Once we saw the quality and care they put into just a paddle we were hooked! We looked at their board options and were so impressed. We took our boards back to REI to buy a lighter and better quality board from SUP Sports. Shop around and then stop by and you will be sold on their quality as well. A great shop and awesome staff!!! Charles R – Ventura, CA

Hea Warren,

I need to let you know that the new paddle I got from you blows me away.

Not only is it the exact type of paddle I wanted, shape, size (90 sq. in.), and weight, but it’s prolly the most beautiful paddle I’ve ever seen, love the basswood/carbon blend, w/ all carbon handle and blade backing. I’ll try very hard not to beat the crap out of it.

Highly recommended.
Greg B - Cambria, CA

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  Keep 'em coming!   I need something adjustable as I try to find the right length.
I'm also wondering about carbon vs fiberglass flex....

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
I've used the Ke Nalus, Kialoas, and Werners... if it's just for you (one user), I'd stick with that Werner Nitro.   

The Kialoa leverlock system is slick, and the 16" of adjustability makes it the best choice for multiple people, but the Insanity blade has got nothing on the Nitro.  It's a stiffer blade, & better designed IMO. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal