Author Topic: What does it mean when a butterfly lands on your SUP? (3 Axis Gimbal Vid)  (Read 4626 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
I was testing out the Feiyu-Tech G3 Ultra Gimbal / GoPro 4 Silver combo again, this time with the RedPaddle 14' Elite Race iSUP, when a butterfly landed on my SUP. Does this mean spring has arrived?

Feiyu-Tech G3 Gimbal + GoPro 4 Silver - Chest-mounted
(Butterfly appears at 3.50)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What does it mean when a butterfly lands on your SUP? (3 Axis Gimbal Vid)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:39:40 AM »
Great video, excellent coastline for near shore paddling. Seems that the inflatable is the gear to go for these kind of sessions...I would be very afraid to crack any hard hulled board among those rocks.  Makes flatwater paddling very interesting ! I got some very nice mangrove lagoons near my home, where this kind of experience would prove to be very nice.

The butterfly? I'm no expert in the behavior of these, but it seems to have liked the logo on your deck.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
.......this time with the RedPaddle 14' Elite Race iSUP, when a butterfly landed on my SUP. Does this mean spring has arrived?

I've always figured that anytime a small creature lands on me for a ride, and doesn't bite, it's good luck.
Spring? Doubtful. We've twisted our sweet planet around so much she doesn't know whether she's coming or going...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »
Butterflies love red.

Great video, and wonderful quality.

Gimbals certainly give amazing clarity to modern compressed video. I've been startled how much better the video quality is with a GoPro attached to the three-axis Tarot on my Isis+ quadcopter--crystal clear with no artifacts that I can see at 4K on my 5K monitor. Until you see that, it's not obvious how much anti-shake and compression damage video that is filmed from an unstable platform.

I'm working on a design for an internal gimbal system on a waterproof octocopter. For what I want to do, waterproofing is essential. It's just too expensive to drop a bunch of unprotected electronics into the drink. Two days ago I ran my semi-waterproof QuadH2O over my buddies at Thousand Peaks. One of the propellers came loose and the whole thing fell into the water from 30 meters high. I say semi-waterproof because a little water made it's way into the casing and toasted two ESC motor controllers and started a little fire before I pulled the battery and blew out the flames. Smells a little skanky inside and I need to replace all four ESCs, but otherwise no harm. If that had been my Isis it would have been a total loss, including the  gimbal and an unprotected GoPro 4 Black (has to be out of the waterproof case to fit in the gimbal).

The guys that sell the QuadH2O have a nice solution in their new HexH2O, but it's a general solution that doesn't quite suit my needs. I want a waterproof system that can follow a downwinder. That means at least an hour of flight time in relatively high winds. Challenging, but might be feasible with current tech. If not, then it needs to be able to failsafe to a specific recovery spot or land safely in water for a pick up. That means not just sort of waterproof, but really waterproof.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
I got interested in butterfly vision because of the video and read up a bit. Pretty amazing stuff. They are considered to have the widest range of vision of any animal with as many as five different types of color receptors depending on species, and Chinese species of butterflies tend to have all five, ranging from infrared to high ultraviolet. Resolution is low, but range is huge. Who knew?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »

I want a waterproof system that can follow a downwinder. That means at least an hour of flight time in relatively high winds. Challenging, but might be feasible with current tech. If not, then it needs to be able to failsafe to a specific recovery spot or land safely in water for a pick up. That means not just sort of waterproof, but really waterproof.

PB, I am looking forward to seeing your first downwinder captured by a drone / quadcopter. It will instantly out-date all the "onboard" vids of today..

I was sorry to see your quad-copter crash, but the road to success is always littered with failures along the way, and at least you got most of it back!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
It was a pretty paddle even with an overcast sky. Who's the song by?
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
It was a pretty paddle even with an overcast sky. Who's the song by?

It is on Youtube's free playlist that can be added to Youtube vids. It is called "Butterfly VocalsA Jazzy Lounge 5231" by Nicolas Neidhardt, a German composer who writes a lot for film and TV based in LA. I know it was in a recent movie, but can't find out which one.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
It is on Youtube's free playlist that can be added to Youtube vids. It is called "Butterfly VocalsA Jazzy Lounge 5231" by Nicolas Neidhardt, a German composer who writes a lot for film and TV based in LA. I know it was in a recent movie, but can't find out which one.

Wow, not the answer I expected. I had it mentally tagged as a probable Hancock collaboration. It has the same vibe as the soundtrack for Big Eyes.

Back to the paddling—what type/length of fin did you have on your board for this adventure?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:00:36 PM by SeaMe »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
My brother! Love your videos.... crisp, interesting.....and thoughtworthy

supthecreek is a description.
I like "intimate" contact with my surroundings when I paddle.

I like the British definition:
British Dictionary definitions for intimate
intimate1
/ˈɪntɪmɪt/
adjective
characterized by a close or warm personal relationship: an intimate friend
deeply personal, private, or secret
(euphemistic) ( often postpositive) followed by with. having sexual relations (with)

Proximity paddling increases the sensual connection to your surroundings.
It can be more technical
Less off.... more on
to me.... just more interesting than challenging a stopwatch out in the vast middle.
In the end.... the stopwatch always wins, so I just enjoy each stroke ;)

Caribe takes me "creeking" in Maine

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
Who's the song by?
Yeah.....on my playlist now.
I can hear it in a Tarantino like something.....
Awesome video.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »

Wow, not the answer I expected. I had it mentally tagged as a probable Hancock collaboration. It has the same vibe as the soundtrack for Big Eyes.

Back to the paddling—what type/length of fin did you have on your board for this adventure?

I was amazed to find it on Youtube. it's a great song..

On the fins, I use the standard ones that came with both the RedPaddle14' Elite Race iSUP and the SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC. I started off doing this ultra-near shore cruising on the first board I bought 3 years ago, a RedPaddle 10-6, which has 3 small "thruster" type fins that are made of softish PVC, and so they made it real easy to paddle in the shallows and hold up well with scrapes and dings on the rocks.. I have bought the fin on the RedPaddle 14' before on rock and got thrown off the front... Luckily not onto the rocks..

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal