Author Topic: Different Fins for shallow white water  (Read 2392 times)

terrygar

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • SW Florida Art
Different Fins for shallow white water
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »
Hello Do the white water SUP riders modify their fins so they don't scrap the bottom and rocks? They can't leave them long.
I want to take my Naish air 11 on a river and want to understand the fin dynamics?
Terry
I just completed a 50 day straight run of SUP everyday, thanks to Florida in the winter!

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Different Fins for shallow white water
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »
What is this fin system on this board & give us more info about the whitewater you'll be paddling.  I checked the Naish site but it has no images of the bottom - only a photo of a 10" slide-in fin.  If that's all you have I'd suggest trying it out finless and/or buying a replacement fin slide-in fin and cutting it down with a long rake so it doesn't get hung up on rocks. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:54:41 PM »
You dont relly need fins for whitewater, esp if its shallow. If you are just going down rivers, its mostly just spinning and making little moves. If you are flatwater paddling and eddie hopping upstream then a fin goes a long way. Corran was making a semi floppy rubber one that worked ok. I rigged a windsurfing dagger board on the back of my plastic river sup and it worked great bc everytime i would hit a rock it would just fold up.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:01 AM »
I run fcs flex fins on my Badfish MVP or no fins at all as has been mentioned.  Even these can give the board quite a jarring bump with the right hit from a shallow rock.  In shallower sections with speed and slide where I still wanted fins I have run side bites alone.  Have fun...
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:54:54 AM »
No fins for me.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »
we have a few fins for river SUP if your SUP has either a regular US center box or our air7 fin box for inflatable SUP

we make these in harder and flexible plastic (the flexible ones are almost impossible to break)

you can order them for approx $24.95 from our website including shipping, SUP gear retailers or amazon : http://tinyurl.com/qff5h26
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal