Author Topic: What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?  (Read 672639 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?
« Reply #1320 on: March 18, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
You'll probably never exceed the weight limit of a rack with surfboards, but you can easily exceed the aerodynamic load limit, which in the case of many factory racks secured with sheet metal screws is close to zero.

If you stack many boards on a rack it's a good idea to tie down the noses and add a through strap that runs over the boards and through the doors. Slam the doors on the straps and you're fine unless it rains. The rain will follow the strap through the weatherstripping, run along the strap and then drip unerringly in your crotch. This is known.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 18, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
 8)

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #1322 on: March 19, 2017, 12:04:38 AM »
You'll probably never exceed the weight limit of a rack with surfboards, but you can easily exceed the aerodynamic load limit, which in the case of many factory racks secured with sheet metal screws is close to zero.

If you stack many boards on a rack it's a good idea to tie down the noses and add a through strap that runs over the boards and through the doors. Slam the doors on the straps and you're fine unless it rains. The rain will follow the strap through the weatherstripping, run along the strap and then drip unerringly in your crotch. This is known.

Rain coming through the door seals via tie down strap to crotch.. Yep been there done and regretted that. Sold the damn HandiRack right away after one use. Only handy while it's warm and sunny. Totally wrong product for Holland! ☔️

But great tip on synching the nose down for the stacked boards. Good that they'd be in board bags with front and rear carry handle for easy anchor points.

SUPmission 🤙🏽
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 27, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »

Hey, where'd you get that bike trailer?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 27, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
This is the warning that comes to mind every time I stack 4 boards on my Highlander factory racks.  I use two sure lock straps in loops around the bars, but the whole mass bounces just a bit on the racks that aren't rigid like the Thule or Yakima racks are.  Several San-O regulars came up to me last week when we went with my niece and her boyfriend, wondering about the wisdom of my set up.  I stack the boards minus a few fins so that I can keep the mass tight, and add towels ahead of the pad to keep the stack stable, and so far, no problems.  That doesn't mean I'm not thinking about this warning every bump and gust all the way home. 

Paul Jensen

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • hollowsurfboards.com
    • Email
« Reply #1325 on: March 28, 2017, 04:27:54 AM »
Been working on this off and on for about a year...

fatkid87

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1326 on: March 28, 2017, 05:05:18 AM »
Is that a canopy that pulls out? Looks good!

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 28, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »
And the boards go where?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 28, 2017, 06:02:03 AM »
And the boards go where?

I see, you've got pull out steps on the rear passenger side.

Very cool, it looks like you started with a 4 door?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:23 AM »
Very cool, ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. What the aluminum box on the rear? 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: March 28, 2017, 06:30:06 AM »
This is the warning that comes to mind every time I stack 4 boards on my Highlander factory racks.  I use two sure lock straps in loops around the bars, but the whole mass bounces just a bit on the racks that aren't rigid like the Thule or Yakima racks are.  Several San-O regulars came up to me last week when we went with my niece and her boyfriend, wondering about the wisdom of my set up.  I stack the boards minus a few fins so that I can keep the mass tight, and add towels ahead of the pad to keep the stack stable, and so far, no problems.  That doesn't mean I'm not thinking about this warning every bump and gust all the way home.

Run two long straps through the car with the doors open to take the load off the rack and take the load off your mind. Or take your headliner loose and see how the rack is secured. I routinely replace factory rack weenie screws with something substantial with big washers. Stainless steel.  Worth looking at the construction of the rack too--some of them are really just for show. I'm pretty sure I could lift my piece o' crap maui Xtera off the ground by it's rack. It looks like shit, and there's rust marks around the edges of the rack, but the mounting is two 3/8 stainless bolts per leg, through a 4"x4" stainless plate on the inside of the roof. Not going anywhere.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 28, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
Here is my "more stock" version of the JK.

The rear "rain gutters" are in line with the factory fronts, so I can get full spread for longer loads.  (Weight limit about 120lbs.)

Paul Jensen

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • hollowsurfboards.com
    • Email
« Reply #1332 on: March 28, 2017, 07:09:47 AM »
Is that a canopy that pulls out? Looks good!

Two canopies, full coverage on the sides and rear...

Paul Jensen

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • hollowsurfboards.com
    • Email
« Reply #1333 on: March 28, 2017, 07:15:02 AM »
And the boards go where?

For rigid boards they can go on the roof rack accessed by fireman steps on the rear, or on the passenger side wall on the tracks that are vertical next to the windows, or on the angled sides of the roof... With two people any of those options are easy...

Looking forward, we will probably get a pair of inflatables for serious off-road water access...

Paul Jensen

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • hollowsurfboards.com
    • Email
« Reply #1334 on: March 28, 2017, 07:20:17 AM »
And the boards go where?

I see, you've got pull out steps on the rear passenger side.

Very cool, it looks like you started with a 4 door?

It is at the core, a 4 door Rubicon...It came out of the Earthroamer factory in Colorado... One of thirteen produced... Earthroamer bet on Jeep going diesel, but that didn't happen so they abandoned the project...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal