Author Topic: My new Naish Hokua 7'2  (Read 19770 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My new Naish Hokua 7'2
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
Just bought this from Ralph at Sup-Position yesterday morning.  7'2 X 28" Naish Hokua.  Super low price for a Naish.

First impressions:  It's tippy, but manageable, not nearly as tippy as I expected.  I think I can get the hang of it fairly quickly.  Surfed it twice so far and it is a rocket!  It's a bit more work, but I'm able to catch waves on it relatively easily considering it's small size.  Turns almost as radically as my 6'2 prone board.  Can't wait to get it on some open faces.  (Anybody want to do Trail 6 next Saturday?)  I'm pretty sure this is going to become my favorite board.  Cool side benefit: It fits completely inside my Jeep Wrangler, the only board I have that can fit inside the Jeep with the back shut.

I'm still figuring out how to work it, so I'll post more impressions as get the hang of it more.

Only issue: The black and grey details came off of the deck pad almost immediately, but it was no big deal.  Ralph was going to kick some booty at Naish for me, but I said don't bother; the board is fine.   Super cheap price for a Naish, so I'm not going to worry about it.  I scraped the remaining ones off and the pad is fine.  Stills looks nice, great traction.   I'll post a pic of that if anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:44:12 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My new Naish Hokua 7'2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »
Oops, it's actually a 7'3
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »
Nice one man! I'm sure that one is crazy fun on a wave.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
Here it is after I removed all of the black and grey details that were coming off of the traction pad.  It's less fancy looking now, but it kind of looks better to me this way.  The traction pad is great now, really grips my feet.  I need that grip because I'm wobbling a bit trying to stay upright on it.  (often failing)

It's cool though because it still has a bit of volume, 105 ltrs.  I think that's why is still catches waves fairly easily.   Can't wait to get good on it.  I was bummed to put wax on that pretty bamboo nose, but it is really needed on that small board.  Took this shot just before I waxed it. 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:51:49 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
It looks killer without the gray and black details.  A ripper! You are going to have a blast.  If you don't want to wax the front, you can apply the clear traction pad from Versatraction (located off 405 n Bolsa in Westminster).

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:30:05 AM »
Thanks Cowboy and Rat.  At 7'3 X 28', it's right on the edge of my ability level, and it is stretching my balance capabilities.  Falling over a lot, but when I catch a wave on it, I'm in heaven.  Surfs so freaking awesome, it's worth falling over a lot waiting for waves.  I'm pretty sure that sticking with it will make me a better paddler.  (and a better swimmer)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:55:41 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
Zoo,

I prefer the stickiness of wax, but if you don't like waxing you could try Monster Paint, its a little abrasive but works fairly well and goes on clear.  Just make sure you got good ventilation (like being outside) before spraying it on.  I have a feeling it might not be the best stuff to breathe.  Congrats on the new board, sounds awesome.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
Zoo,

I prefer the stickiness of wax, but if you don't like waxing you could try Monster Paint, its a little abrasive but works fairly well and goes on clear.  Just make sure you got good ventilation (like being outside) before spraying it on.  I have a feeling it might not be the best stuff to breathe.  Congrats on the new board, sounds awesome.
Thanks J-bird,
I'm a little afraid of the abrasiveness of Monster Paint on this board.  I'm falling off and climbing back on a lot, so the opportunity for ground off skin is fairly high.  I would love the clearness of it though. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
The SS with nose clear traction.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »
Wow, that's the best I have seen on a nose.  Is the grip pretty good?  I might clean the wax off the Hokua and put that on.  How much was it? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »
Grip is good.  It's expensive ... about $40.  Covering the entire front half of the Hokua would probably be around $80.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
Wow, that's the best I have seen on a nose.  Is the grip pretty good?  I might clean the wax off the Hokua and put that on.  How much was it?

I have some pieces of Versatraction if you want..

I like the Krylon Non Skid Clear Much better. A little more grip but not abrasive like Monster..
Walmart used to stock it for around $4.00 a Spray can..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
Just bought this from Ralph at Sup-Position yesterday morning.  7'2 X 28" Naish Hokua.  Super low price for a Naish.

First impressions:  It's tippy, but manageable, not nearly as tippy as I expected.  I think I can get the hang of it fairly quickly.  Surfed it twice so far and it is a rocket!  It's a bit more work, but I'm able to catch waves on it relatively easily considering it's small size.  Turns almost as radically as my 6'2 prone board.  Can't wait to get it on some open faces.  (Anybody want to do Trail 6 next Saturday?)  I'm pretty sure this is going to become my favorite board.  Cool side benefit: It fits completely inside my Jeep Wrangler, the only board I have that can fit inside the Jeep with the back shut.

I'm still figuring out how to work it, so I'll post more impressions as get the hang of it more.

Only issue: The black and grey details came off of the deck pad almost immediately, but it was no big deal.  Ralph was going to kick some booty at Naish for me, but I said don't bother; the board is fine.   Super cheap price for a Naish, so I'm not going to worry about it.  I scraped the remaining ones off and the pad is fine.  Stills looks nice, great traction.   I'll post a pic of that if anyone is interested.

Love to see folks riding smaller boards. Way better work out and lots more control in the waves.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
Gratz Zoo.  Like it much better without all the graphical overload.

If the stickers are too much for front end traction, I use a budget monster paint.  Less abrasive than monster but plenty for all I do. I got mine on sale for less than 10 bucks.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
I remember it was Slatch who posted the anti-slip at Home Depot some time ago. He's right on all counts. Great stuff. Inexpensive. Not near as road rash prone. Super grippy. The way to go IMO. $6 at my HD.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut