Author Topic: Small SUP, Classic style or TOMO/vanguard Style  (Read 9530 times)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Small SUP, Classic style or TOMO/vanguard Style
« on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:35 AM »
hi there!
i have a naish hokua 9´5´´ 140 liters that i love and now i want to complete my quiver with a smaller sup (100-110 liters) for those small, perfect, glassy days. I´m 75 kg and intermediate skills

Here in uruguay we have no chance of try a board first. we can order Naish, Fanatic, Starboard and Jp but once you place your order there is no chance of change it.

My question is: classi style (8´-8´5 range )or do i wait and try to get my hands on those Tomo/Vanguard sytle Sup (jp slate surf, new naish) and go really short (7´-7´5 range) ???

what do you think?=

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Small SUP, Classic style or TOMO/vanguard Style
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
Very good question. I have and ride both and enjoy both styles. If the decision were mine I think I'd base it more on the type of surf/conditions I have. Since my surf is often smaller, weaker, and definitely choppier I find I get more performance (please gang, indulge me a let me get away with calling it performance) from the Tomo shape. The extra surface/planing area is easier to stand on and lets me generate more speed which translates for me into faster attempts to make a fool of myself. If I had larger, hollower, or more California, Hawaii style surf with a longer period swell I think I'd use a more shortboard or traditional style shape. Sure, a good SUS'er can ride anything and make it look good or easy, but that's not me. Comfort and performance for my particular surf would probably be my choice. But hey, it's just as easy to charge two on your credit card as one  ;D...then you could decide

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
I like greens advice about wave types, surely something to consider.
I have been looking at these as a way to get more stability out of a shortish board, so I have been following a thread on "seabreeze" about "Minnions" Tomo style SUPs
They gave me size advice, plus there are quite a few videos and pictures on the very lengthy thread. You might want to spend a day reading it.

It seems like everyone is making some form of "Tomo" these days..... some look much better than others. Naish is coming out with a 7' x 31 and a 7' x 28 Raptor soon according to the rumor mill, although those dimensions are wider than the versions in Oz.... so much going on these days ;D ;D

Good luck.... please report your experience and review

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/DEEP-Oceanboards-72-Minion-Review/?page=21

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:10:44 AM »
These are the new Naish boards...sure DJ will have more info.  They look fun but bet they are real slow to paddle

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 06:30:54 AM »
well, following supthecreek advice, i spend a good time reading the thread on seabreeze.

Biggreen, I found my hokua very good for our larger swells (max DOH faces, 12 period) and for choppy conditions (140 liters) i want something smaller, and by that i don´t mean only a foot, i think these new desing fill my needs as i could go down to 7´2 - 7´5 and that is a real difference with my hokua.

finding THE ONLY ONE SUP its impossible, so finally made my mind, i want a quiver of boards!! jejeeje Now the ugly part, $ 2700 !!!!!!!! and convince my wife of my real needs, jejejeje!!!

Now..what do you think..Little company and the pain of the logistic involved (Minion from AUS, Simsup from USD), big Brand (i think we could have here Naish and JP) OR custom made and the risk involved as the are no sup shapers here (shortboard yes)?

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 07:11:58 AM »
Oh man....Now I'm looking at these shapes  :-X

Got a serious case of the "shack nasties" that's encouraging my Board Junkie-itis.

Need surf bad.

Mungo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:41:12 AM »
The older version of the Hokua 7'6 was a peach (29 8/16" wide x 109l). Unfortunately they replaced it in the 2015 line-up, but if you can find one second hand or old stock I think it would partner your 9'5 very well.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:38:04 PM »
Here's a few more options to consider in the custom small SUP realm...

We've built custom carbon high performance paddle surfing SUP's for a number of clients from Brazil...they either pick them up directly from us on a surf trip...or, we ship...as a lot of our Latin American clients seem to have family or friends in Miami...

I have designed four sub-8' models in a variety of shapes and volume distribution...we can build these boards with any individualized dims, graphics, and options...no need to try putting a square peg in a round hole...;-)

The attached graphics below can help you at a glance see the differences...

For more detailed pics and vids of the 7'5" Jammer design...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZeJRFERl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTbnvqKGpY0

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/01/carbon-75-jammer-sup.html

This board rips big powerful waves as well as small to medium surf...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/10/proofs-da-pudding.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/11/november-surf-session-remember.html

I also have a 7'6" Mallet design...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/11/mallet-sup.html

As well as the 7'11" Hammer design...this too can be custom built in any desired size...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series

Lastly, I have a classic style WD design...this is a carbon 7'11" WD that we just built for a competent paddle surfer on the East Coast...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/wd-series-sup/
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:50:38 AM »
Cold sup or DJ, do you have any info of the Naish? length with and volumen?  I like the brand and before placing an orther on the Jp i would like to know about the naish...

i think the jp 7´2 x 28¨ is veeeeerrrrryyy insteresting.

El Sharky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:06:10 AM »
Hola Nacho:

I had the same problem here in Mexico. I couldnt test before buying and i had a Hokua and a Mana (with durability issues) then i decided to go custom. Talked to Kirk and with his experience and quality, he delivered a board that went beyond my expectations. So dont be afraid to go Custom. A good shaper should be able to translate your level,conditions,and needs into a good board. If you are keeping your Naish go under 8,0 to avoid too much overlap on your quiver. If you want a one board quiver ... Well, i dont know what that is. I weight 95kilos and have a 6'10 that i love.

Hope it helps to confuse you more cause i have found that confusion sometimes helps make better choices!

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »
Hey Nacho,
I am lucky enough to have both. I have had the opportunity to ride on both coast's North and South and Hawaii on classic surfboard, longboard and Tomo style boards. Having a quiver is the answer of course, but that takes some cash, a storage area, a understanding wife  :) and a surf van to bring all your choices to your spot!
Seriously, I like the little boards for cleaner waves with a little pitch, they are a little hard to catch rollers on, but not impossible. Instead of a 7.6 x 27 1/2 shortboard style a 7. 2 x 28 Tomo style not only is easier to stand on, it catches waves easier and is faster, so you can do more fun things on the wave with out having to bounce up and down to generate speed! I switched boards with my buddy last week for a few waves and I could barely stand on his 95 L. 7.6 short surfboard style sup, but had no issues on my 7.2 x 28.25 x 105 L Minion Style. I was able to enjoy a nice 2 1/2 hr. session with just moderate chop and bounce. My short board vs. my standard surfboard style 7.2  vs 8.2 x 31 x 113 ltrs.
My 8.2 is also new for me, is very stable almost a quiver killer, so the mini is icing on the cake! My thought for where I surf is to have the Minion Mini for clean days instead of the smaller narrower classic short board style!
It will definitely help to demo one, but if not!
My advice, with a grain of salt is to go a foot shorter 2 inches narrower and 5-15 ltrs. less involume.
I have had 3 mini's now a 7.2, 7.3, & 7.4
I was very surprised on how well they surf and paddle on cleaner days up to moderate chop, unless you are a Ninja!
Good luck on your quest!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal