Author Topic: Still one of my favorite SUP vids  (Read 4491 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Still one of my favorite SUP vids
« on: December 25, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
Despite being shot 6 years ago by our very own admin its still one of the best. SUP at its core, the big boards, power surfing, obviously raw conditions, the best in the world making it look easy.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Still one of my favorite SUP vids
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
Excellent vid.....haven't seen it before. Kind of like DJs vids except the waves are 100 times bigger lol

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
Great vid!

My question is, as a newcomer, what dimensions are those boards and who makes them?  Again, as someone just coming into this (from a prone history), it seems like this sport is running full speed into smaller/lighter.  While that is great and what should happen, where do you find big wave guns?  Like boards that are big and stable for rough conditions, but still fast.  Sup surfing seems to be following the same evolution as surfing.  At some point, someone is going to want some of those big guns back.

I'd like one.  Man, the conditions can be gnarly up here in Norcal--even on small days.

Dave

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
Me too....PSH was making those 12 footers until their business structure turned to custard.....had their 12.6 ordered almost for ever  until it became apparent it wasn't arriving

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »
"...where do you find big wave guns?  Like boards that are big and stable for rough conditions, but still fast.  Sup surfing seems to be following the same evolution as surfing.  At some point, someone is going to want some of those big guns back...."

Jeff Clark has a big wave model with Riviera....

http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/jeff-clark
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
Those look like 11 or 12' at a guess. Laird was with Oxbow at the time and despite the vid being a little grainy I can make out what looks like an Oxbow logo on it. Can't tell what Dave is riding but he was with Naish then I think. Not many big guns out there these days...look at starboard and naish, no real big gun even though they have just about everything else. Starboards new explorer is coming with a kitchen sink I believe.... ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:50:55 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
Fanatic Makes a nice 9'9 Gun that has been proven at lots of big wave spots not to mention Shipsterns
But these are speialized craft meant for BIG nasty waves

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »
Pat Rawson makes a Raw 2 for 12-15 Hawaiian BEEG WANS!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »
Not nearly as big as what they were riding in the video but I think the 9'-8" Naish LE Hokua Gun is the most beautiful production gun available and the only production design I've seen that I would consider to be a true gun. If you look around you might be able to find their 2011 model that was 11'-6". http://www.naishsurfing.com/product/hokua-910-le-gun

Starboard makes a 10-3 gun with a fuller outline: http://www.star-board-sup.com/2011/products/profile.php?post_name=2011_gun

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:57:35 AM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal