Author Topic: Huevos Machos Grande...  (Read 3000 times)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Huevos Machos Grande...
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Garrett McNamara, Nazare, November 2012 by .
Caught inside by a Huge Waves

"https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152732855123780"

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:49:02 PM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Huevos Machos Grande...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »
Fantastic example of how Gopro distorts what is a very large wave into something that looks like an entirely different situation.  If you didn't have the tele shot, you'd say, so what?  Two POVs are great but better would be different angles with no distortion.    The Go pro does nothing for the drama of this clip IMO.

Great clip tho from far away.  He's ready for the avy pack.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »
How long do you think he had to hold his breath?
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
I've clocked guys underwater time at Peahi and it ranged up to 30-45 on some.  That may seem short when you think about being underwater in a calm environment but in big waves those are strenuous seconds. 

Einstein described relativity like this.  If you put your hand on a hot stove for a few seconds, it feels like hours and if you sit with a beautiful woman for hours, it feels like seconds.  So it is with tube time and underwater thrashing.  It's simply timeless. 

That particular wave appears to be very peak centered and usually one might be able to escape on the wings.  But missing a wave definitely puts you in dire straits.  I learned early on to pass on big ones I wasn't 100% sure I could catch for this very same reason.  And if you're off the grid so to speak, miles from help, even more so. 

These days even prone paddlers are with a team on skis watching out for them.  And even then the pounding like Liam took would still be severe.  But the vest is priceless and when you eventually cork up to the surface, guys can and will grab you and take you to safety.  That grinding Greg Long took really empowered a lot of guys.  Just make sure your back up on the ski has huevos machos grande.  The new four strokes are unreal BTW.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
I'll stick to the huevos pequeno, thanks very much.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:59:15 PM »
Surf was almost flat this morning and wind was light onshore, no good for downwinding so I did a swim with Shirley at this place we frequent that features a rock shelf outside of a inner 200 yd long lagoon, perfect for swimming.  The ocean flows over the shelf and  has an outflow point where the current is strong enough to act as a treadmill.  With fins on I can only inch my way against this strong current.

So I figured I'd do a test, thinking about this thread.  Did four underwater swims against this current with 10 second breaks.  I used full arm strokes combined with hard flutter kick with fins.  It's energetic and in the first one I did 27 seconds, relaxed a bit better on the next two at 29 then 28 and then a massive fall back on the fourth to 23 seconds.

Now that's just about the time span from the time the lip lands at Peahi to when it usually dissipates enough to cork someone to the surface... for one wave.  But many out there have done two wave hold downs and some three.  At that point the time span stretches over 30 and sometimes 40 seconds.

If a guy wipes out in the peak like Liam did at Nazare a double wave hold down is definitely on the table.  So I know my measly 20-30 second range won't cut the mustard.  No Country for Old Men... or improperly trained younger ones.

Surf is on the rise tonight.  I can hear it.   

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
HM, I feel you on the time expansion. It's crazy how you want to panic when you reach up and "up" isn't there.

Definitely made me train more. Just knowing you can swim for 30-45 seconds underwater allows you to relax and know that eventually you will cork up in any thing smaller than peahi.

Mark Healey and some guys recently tested themselves and he got over 4 minutes under. If I relax I can make it a minute but if I'm  swimming I burn that air pretty fast. Nowadays if I get washed I just grab my head and go as limp as I can.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
Beautiful footage from both cams ..... Very lucky that the GoPro was still attached after a hit like that.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 02:55:08 PM »

I like the way Garrett released his board leash so fast.  I think that was key.  Just shows you really have to train for those big days and have a plan when things go wrong.

I agree headmount the GoPro make it look like the wave was much much smaller.  That look on his face when he sees the outside wave and trouble is priceless!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
HM, I feel you on the time expansion. It's crazy how you want to panic when you reach up and "up" isn't there.

Definitely made me train more. Just knowing you can swim for 30-45 seconds underwater allows you to relax and know that eventually you will cork up in any thing smaller than peahi.

Mark Healey and some guys recently tested themselves and he got over 4 minutes under. If I relax I can make it a minute but if I'm  swimming I burn that air pretty fast. Nowadays if I get washed I just grab my head and go as limp as I can.

Well you hear people say just relax and up to a certain size wave that is the ticket.  But in the beyond size, the thrashing you take, is at least equal to a very energetic underwater swim.  Even with a vest you're scrambling for the surface.  There's no relaxing.  The concussion alone changes any ideas about what you thought was going to happen. 

So if you train for this, that has to be your bar... how long can you hang underwater working very hard.  Sitting calmly underwater for a over a minute isn't the same simulation.  I've done 3.5 mins like that but like I said, less than 30 seconds working hard.

lopezwill... I agree about the 'oh shit' look but he should have put his face right up to the cam for max effect.  Then the pull away shot for the reason why.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal