Author Topic: Hard to takeoff into stiff offshore winds.  (Read 9348 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hard to takeoff into stiff offshore winds.
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
We have pretty stiff offshore winds and marginal waves today in OC.  I am finding that it is difficult to catch a wave on my 7'11 standing up into 20 knot wind.  It's tough enough on a prone board, but even tougher on a SUP.  Anyone else agree, or am I doing something wrong?  Maybe I'll pull out the AW 8'10 and try that. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hard to takeoff into stiff offshore winds.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Today was amazing...
I had sooo much FUN...
Actually had the board flying, wind holding the board up, barely on rail...

WhoooOOO...

Couple re-entries where the board punted...breaks free and goes airborn...
landed one out front of the whitewater, but lost it as the fins engaged...
The other I got blown back and landed just behind of where the wave broke and got sucked into the cavitation..

Lots of ramps and barrels..too small to get out of..but beautiful watching the lips blow back....
A few slots/barrels I made out of..

Finally after 3 hours lost my hat and then broke a leash...

Went in and get another hat and leash..close to 4 hour sesh...

Also riding a 711, (Starboard), 2-1 Set up..

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »
I'd agree. Off-shores can be brutal on a standup. 20 knots? For me, I'd already be showered and have the board reloaded in the van.

We had great swell for 4 or 5 days in a row but the last couple of days brought Kona winds. I tried to go in about 12 to 16 knots, it was difficult to stay in position and then take offs had to be late in order to be able to even get anything. Faces were bumpy but still fun but after days of oily, glassy conditions, I guess I got spoiled. On some waves that looked very make-able, the wind created so much resistance that I'd either miss the take off or stall going down the drop. It was crazy.

My pals that were chancing the outer reef breaks found themselves caught inside with dumping mackers after the wind blew them off their intended waves and left them on the inside.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
Meh. Went down and saw the stiff offshores and 2 foot surf and went to the gym
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
I'd agree. Off-shores can be brutal on a standup. 20 knots?

Yes Brutal. But in this case worth the reward...2'-4' Peaky
Ralph
Sup-position

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:32:46 PM »
I want to know what guys mean when they say 20knots.  Because a 20 knot wind added to the oncoming wave speed of close to 10 adds up close to 30. 

Like Cove posted, we've had stiff offshores up until today and they've been up to almost 20MPH (MPHs being less than knots) and when it was that strong, absolutely no one was getting in.  But these winds aren't consistent and during periodic lulls one can catch a wave.  But even during the lightest moments you had to wait till the wave was almost about to pitch to drop in.

For me the offshore wind limit is less than 5 because up the face it becomes 15 which is substantial.  It gets absurd past that and even if you get in, you're limited as to what you can do.  This last offshore madness I felt like I was going backwards on some gusts and in between sets everyone was sitting.  Prone paddled the half mile to shore to go in.

Anterior deltoids screamed at me when I woke this morning from mixing cement for two days.  The three days in a row before that, with long sessions, resulted in no pain.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
Good question! I'm dedicated to surfing winter waves this year BUT so far not good. Been super windy here. Made an attempt this week to SUS 15-20knt wind chopped disorganized 3'ers but could not balance or paddle. Not fun at all except that i was bouncing around Mother Ocean instead of...

In the last year i have promised myself to only do activities that are fun - thus giving up SUP racing ;D. So, I hope the winds die down round here! Or, maybe i will have to resort to going prone :o

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
There were 2 Sups within sight and plenty of proners.

Just turn sideways or sit down if it is gusting and you can't handle it..

Way better on a Sup.
As the wave builds the accelerated wind speed and water blowing is stronger at the proners level..

Take of at an angle and point the nose down, may be weight it..(put your foot on the nose)

You need to be reactive, if you feel a gust crouch down to reduce your wind profile if need be..

Be careful of flying boards...

Here is a day it was gusting 40 MPH..hard but worth it..

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:16:34 PM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
The wind settled down a bit this afternoon and I decided to give it another go, glad I did.  Went out in the Newport Pier area and caught a ton of nice little knee-waist high waves. 

Funny thing: I didn't paddle back out much after taking a wave.  Just turned around and let the wind blow me out to the lineup.  Didn't take much more time that paddling does when there is no wind.  Like a chair lift at a ski resort. 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:19:54 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »
I want to know what guys mean when they say 20knots.  Because a 20 knot wind added to the oncoming wave speed of close to 10 adds up close to 30. 

Actually, you probably caught me being sloppy.  I checked and the wind was about 18 MPH, not 20 knots.  Big difference, I know.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
I think a lot depends on the nose of your board. On the Kona wind day a few days ago I tried my 9.0 first. Swell was 9 to 12 (1.5 to DOH) and probably 12-15 mph offshore. No way. the blunt nose made the board a frisbee. When I did get in I couldn't steer. Back to the truck for the 9'6". Made a big difference, but the nose of my board is still a lot blunter and wider than Boyum's or Jeremy's. If I took off just right and survived the out-of-control drop, then I was in fat city and could play in a wave that held up WAY longer than usual. Made for fast, long rides. Screw up just a little and you're floating on the lip for a hundred feet, being set up for the next wave in the set to mow you.

Still it's good practice and you can find an angle that works. I discovered about 45 degrees off the face, running from the shoulder worked good. and then when I move inside where Jeremy was, a little closer to 90 was fine. Takes a few beatings to find optimal, but worth it--until it isn't. All the same, anytime you get to be on the face of a DOH wave that isn't breaking up in front you and boxing you in for the fall, life is good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
I find strong offshore winds on waves, like staring at a swimsuit model.  Looks like a dream wave but I'm not getting anywhere near it.  Bodysurfing is best option in those conditions.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:29 AM »
Pulled off Surfline..
Where I surfed
Yesterday..
Ralph
Sup-position

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 06:38:20 AM »
Offshore winds can play havoc with your SUP sessions.  Some good suggestions by Zoners.  i do my best to stay inside and not let the wind blow me out past the break.  It's easy to get blown out making it that much harder to catch any waves.  I constantly paddle toward shore in between sets and try not to get too complacent out there.

The last two times I strained my lower back was while paddling like hell to catch some waves in strong offshore winds, so now I pay close attention to where I am in the lineup making it easier and less effort to catch the waves.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
Ralph, I proned that same spot yesterday afternoon #ESPNblooperreel. Proned for just the same reasons everyone is mentioning, big nosed board in strong off shores does not work out well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal