Author Topic: Whats the deal with those radical TOMO VANGUARD style surf sup designs?  (Read 59791 times)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whats the deal with those radical TOMO VANGUARD style surf sup designs?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
A Tomo with fangs from Kirk at L41.
Reminds me of the Picklefork design. I remember this big perfect day at Cojo and this guy that was totally out of control on one. You definitely didn't want to drop in on the guy and get hit with not 1 but 2 sharp noses.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »
Sano, this is what I was talking about, I don't see the door as "Tomo styled" due to it's width, rocker and tail. It's flat, no channels. It was more of a yoga sup to me when I saw it in person.
Yeah, I hear ya cowboy, and why I included the video of the "custom" Door, which at least from what I see in the clip, is not necessarily what they're selling on their website, and is indeed more of the "Tomo" style....at least IMO.

But then again, make no mistake about it....I'm not a shaper in the slightest.  :) :-[
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
Exactly, and very very well said.

magenta.... re: swaylocks:
so much fun to read the convoluted hypocrisy, turned muted excitement and pride, as greed starts to mow down his prejudice.   ;D ;D ;D
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
Sways has taught me a ton, but yes, I can't even bring myself to ask a question, even about longboards or mini sims. Thank the Lord for the shapers here who are gracious and generous with their time to a newb.

I'm about to start my own hand shape (prone, not going to waste the foam and glass on a SUP just yet.) Friendly mentors are a gift.

Ditto. I think some of the commenters on Swaylocks are the twenty year old virgins from YouTube who like to vent some their diseased spleen. Makes you wonder if the Apocalypse is just a wise use of the reset button. I frequent some very technical forums that gradually get invaded by the same numbnuts. Nothing new to add, just opinions about everything.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »
If we want higher performance then we have to go narrower and thinner and thus sacrifice volume which means paddling is going to be a pain in the arse. Apparently these weird boards enable higher performance while still maintaining some of the stability of a longer higher volume board.

Yesterday when I was out on my 8' S4 with its super wide diamond tail, I was thinking to myself "How much different would my board ride and paddle if I lopped 6" off the length and squared off the nose, made it 2" narrower and 5/8" thinner?" Well, instead of the current 8' x 30" x 4 /58", I'd end up with a 7'-6" x 28" x 4" board that would be far more responsive in the waves but a helluva lot harder to paddle because I'm going to lose a ton of volume with it being narrower and thinner. So my thinking is that comparing already wide and short boards like Simsup to these "Tomo's" isn't that fair of a comparison as it would be to compare them to longer boards.

True test or proof of concept is whether intermediate ability sup surfers can excel on these new designs.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the links!

This guy down under http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Chilling-on-my-68-fridge-door-in-Sumatra/?page=-2#lastpost weighs about 100k and rides a 6'-8" x 27.5" x 4.5" x 102L stub nose thing. He likes it because its easy to travel with, and get this, he says its a lot easier to switch between riding the little sup to riding a regular surfboard - which is something I hadn't considered.

Ryan Helm sure is good at the finless and almost thing!

Rivi throws in their interpretation of it.....

http://youtu.be/dyFpsUq52dw?t=32s

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
You are right because the stock Door at their site is 31" wide but the Door Ryan Helm was riding was a massive 6" NARROWER at 7'-4 x 25". You can see that in the video at 00:34.

Sano, this is what I was talking about, I don't see the door as "Tomo styled" due to it's width, rocker and tail. It's flat, no channels. It was more of a yoga sup to me when I saw it in person.
Yeah, I hear ya cowboy, and why I included the video of the "custom" Door, which at least from what I see in the clip, is not necessarily what they're selling on their website, and is indeed more of the "Tomo" style....at least IMO.

But then again, make no mistake about it....I'm not a shaper in the slightest.  :) :-[
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:16:15 PM by magentawave »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »
I know, more points to break off and/or get stuck by is not what I want.

A Tomo with fangs from Kirk at L41.
Reminds me of the Picklefork design. I remember this big perfect day at Cojo and this guy that was totally out of control on one. You definitely didn't want to drop in on the guy and get hit with not 1 but 2 sharp noses.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
I see now. And it makes sense, can't really find a wide market for the tiny ones.

Ryan could totally paddle anything.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
I see a 67 year old fart on a JP slate - the BIG one - come springtime! Hahaha! 8) 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
According to this article at Seabreeze, JP, Starboard, Naish, and Fanatic are all coming out with tomo vanguard/vader inspired boards...
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Stand%20Up%20Paddle/Fad-or-rad-Vanguards-take-over-SUP_8992767.aspx

Think we'll see any Tomo-inspired SUPs in the 2016 Starboard and Naish lines?

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
According to this article at Seabreeze, JP, Starboard, Naish, and Fanatic are all coming out with tomo vanguard/vader inspired boards...

Fanatic:
Prowave
Allwave
Nonose?

Naish:
Mana
Hokua
Holoi?

Starboard:
Whopper
Wide Point
Stubby?
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
What are you saying? I googled those boards with the question mark you mentioned and don't see anything.

Fanatic:
Prowave
Allwave
Nonose?

Naish:
Mana
Hokua
Holoi?

Starboard:
Whopper
Wide Point
Stubby?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
My brand has already trademarked the "Pug" name for my model.

Starboard will be first to market as they will just photo shop a paddle into Daniel's hand and go to print.

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
these look fun.

RNB model from Infinity (Round Nose Blurr)

the green one is 7'5" x 25" and the camo one is 7'8" x 28" x 118L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal