Author Topic: I had my first negative altercation with regular surfer last Sunday in Carlsbad  (Read 7029 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I started sup surfing two years ago and had my first negative scene with a regular surfer last Sunday in Carlsbad. Here's the deal: My board is only 8' so I was doing a slow paddle outside back and forth waiting for a set. Right about the point where I paddled close to a crowd of regular surfers and was going to turn around and meander back north again a clean shoulder high right popped up that no one else went for so I did. After about three or four strokes when the wave was just starting to pick me up and some moron on a surfboard proceeds to paddle directly in front of me into the same wave. Say what?! :o I mean directly in front of me so there was no way I could avoid running over him. I jumped off as my board slid up his ass and back so the nose of my board with the momentum of my body weight wouldn't slam into the back of his empty skull. Mind you, he was NOT there when I started paddling for the wave and blatantly paddled right in front of me so as to cock-block me from the wave. Anyway, he could have been hurt and that good wave went unridden and I said to him: "Dude, what were you thinking?!"  >:( He said: "Oh you f-ing sup guys don't belong out here." And I said: "F**k dude, I've been surfing since you were in diapers man! You could have been hurt! What the hell was that?!" He said: "Just go the f**k back over there. You don't belong here." To which I said: "Oh F**k off you a**hole!"

Now, I totally understand surfers getting pissed off at sup surfers that take off outside them and hog all the waves, but I've been surfing since 12 and always give major respect (and space) to the surfers which means I don't cut them off - ever. That meathead probably went home and beat his wife and kids and meanwhile the rest of my session sucked due to the bad vibes created from his stunt. I just wanted to get that off of my chest.  :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:45:38 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I started sup surfing two years ago and had my first negative scene with a regular surfer last Sunday in Carlsbad. Here's the deal: My board is only 8' so I was doing a slow paddle outside back and forth waiting for a set. Right about the point where I paddled close to a crowd of regular surfers and was going to turn around and meander back north again a clean shoulder high right popped up that no one else went for so I did. After about three or four strokes when the wave was just starting to pick me up and some moron on a surfboard proceeds to paddle directly in front of me into the same wave. Say what?! :o I mean directly in front of me so there was no way I could avoid running over him. I jumped off as my board slid up his ass and back so the nose of my board with the momentum of my body weight wouldn't slam into the back of his empty skull. Mind you, he was NOT there when I started paddling for the wave and blatantly paddled right in front of me so as to cock-block me from the wave. Anyway, he could have been hurt and that good wave went unridden and I said to him: "Dude, what were you thinking?!"  >:( He said: "Oh you f-ing sup guys don't belong out here." And I said: "F**k dude, I've been surfing since you were in diapers man! You could have been hurt! What the hell was that?!" He said: "Just go the f**k back over there. You don't belong here." To which I said: "Oh F**k off you a**hole!"

Now, I understand surfers getting pissed off at sup surfers that take off outside them and hog all the waves, but I've been surfing since 12 and always give major respect (and space) to the surfers which means I don't cut them off - ever. That meathead probably went home and beat his wife and kids and meanwhile the rest of my session sucked due to the bad vibes created from his stunt. I just wanted to get that off of my chest.  :P

Assholes and underdeveloped human beings out there everywhere, they want you in their misery and drama... He accomplished that.. Its hard, but I TRY to blow them off instantly and let the negative vibes stay where they are.. 

If you stop having fun and enjoying yourself because of someone else, they just killed a day off your life.. Screw them... You have every right to surf and have fun wherever you want as long as you arent hurting or endangering others, no matter what they say.. The waves were here before they were born and will be after they are long gone.. No one owns them... They are a gift to be enjoyed and shared.  If others dont agree, I could give a crap, and I just ignore them.

If you are on the wave, and someone is taking off on front of you, they didnt follow proper surf etiquette and put you and themselves in danger, it doesnt matter what you ride...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
there's one guy at a break i surf regularly who mutters BS in earshot of me-- i always look him in the eyes, and once said "you talkin to me?". he said "no" of course.

what's funny is that I've cant recall ever seeing this guy actually get a wave

at this break there are some excellent aggro young surfers, both long and short boarders--and all get along ok--i dont come close to hogging waves and am meticulous about controlling my board in the work zone (handle helps muchly)--these guys are there to surf, not to fight.

seems the dbags who want to make trouble, aint getting waves--so they rag where they think they can get away with it

some day a big tough dbag will mess with me--i hope i dont rise to the occasion--at 56 yo might not be a good idea to arrange to get the shit beat outta me

at breaks i dont frequent, the stinkeye is always strong when i paddle out, but usually nbd when my good manners are noted
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Consider yourself lucky this shit happens to me almost every session.  Our sand bars are so messed up here in Newport / HB I am forced to SUP around surfers.  I just try and remember that they get very little waves and hate seeing me catch waves they can't get to.  I use them as a obstacle course when going down the line.  And yes I have almost run guys over too who paddle right in front of me. 
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I feel your  pain  it has happened  to me a  few times.. Where was this in carlsbad and   what did the guy look like and what was he riding/ I want to know  so I can be aware of him if I see him.  Any idea if he was local or not? 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oneother thing I noticed they only say shit to you when there is only one standup in the water . never when there  is more than 1
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oneother thing I noticed they only say shit to you when there is only one standup in the water . never when there  is more than 1

+1  This is absolutely true.  When I am with other SUPers, or even SUP surfing with my friends that only prone surf, either way, I never get a nasty comment or even a dirty look.  Only when I am alone do I get any overt negative vibes.  Seems like haters are also cowards. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Yeah it is too bad because it is such a peaceful sport but when it gets confrontational it kills the good energy. In Florida I have a lot of positive interaction with the surfers but it is generally not crowded. Sadly, California is beautiful but way too crowded especially in the ocean. I had a surfer give me stink eye once in florida but then when he dropped in on the wave he backed off. It was a huge wave so I thanked but he refused to acknowledge my thanks. Anyway there are offshore reefs we can paddle out to and avoid the crowds.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Too bad/ All the adrenalin definitely screws up your session. Hard to just let it slide off.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Megentawave

That sucks!

It's all to common occurrence everywhere in California this summer with the heavy crowds, warm water, good swell and weather.

Probably should start a new thread but has anyone put aside sup surfing for just fitness paddling due to crowds and sup surfer haters?

I know I've thought about it but really enjoy sup surfing too much.  Last week I went to all my "Go to spots' and they were all packed with surfers.  I have a couple of ace in the hole parking spots on side streets near open beach breaks and they were taken also.  I'm hoping it was just the great weather and swell.

I'm hoping for huge surf with cold water and nasty weather…should trim the crowd some;)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Don't you guys feel exactly the same way wether you are on SUP or regular board?

I feel like there is always going to be aggro vibe as long as others feel like there are way too many people in the water.

Ride short board and go to Lowers, Uppers, and HB Pier, they all have the same vibe.

Surfing is very self centered sport. I don't expect to get any welcome vibes anywhere unless there is less surfer than the number of set waves that are coming in.

Once all of my spot turns into Salt Creek, I'm quitting surfing.

Go to Salt Creek. No matter what you ride you'll get welcomed with that salty attitude. I hate that place with passion. Only place where I've seen people get into fight.

HB Pier/54th/Salt Creek. All those spots, aggro to the max, no matter what you ride, how you ride. Lowers are much more competitive but at least they keep somewhat of a etiquette.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I have experienced something similar. On several occasions I have had prone surfers paddle into my line while taking off in close quarters. They seem to get a kick out of making you bail rather than T-boning their ass.

It's a dick move, saying anything is waisting breath. What works best is clipping them a bit, basically running over their shoulder. Usually they are fully aware of what they are doing and will give way. Sometimes I loose the pseudo-chicken match and end up bailing. I'm not going to hurt anybody, even a dick.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
i paddle out first light more often than not--less crowded/windy--and, when the crowd arrives i am installed--less sketchy than paddling out, the only sup, into a big crowd.

i am always alone, and prefer that--dont want to be responsible for others' good or bad manners--and if guys see a 3 or 4 sup's getting tons of waves, they chafe.

i find that, when im alone and I behave reasonably, i have a minimum of issues. and at my regular break i know lots of faces, some friendly, and feel like if i had a serious dbag runin, some might speak up in my defense, but none would jump in to gang up.

it does suck that dbag are a factor. and i agree that, where there are way fewer set waves than guys in the water, dbag issues are inevitable, no matter what is being ridden.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
http://www.tracksmag.com/how-not-to-get-punched-head/

This is a good take on the organization of a lineup
New England Is My Playground

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
the thing that amazes me most is that surfers of all types seem to be 'naturally attracted' to each other, though they don't necessarily get along. for example, if i'm out and nobody else is around, and then someone shows up later, proner or SUSer, they head right for me. there can be miles of open wave areas, but somehow they think i've found the motherlode spot.  next thing you know, they're behind me blocking my ride. i instantly paddle away from them, but am always puzzled by this.

the other morning i went out to a spot just a few hundred yards to the south of the popular spot, and saw everyone at the popular spot crowded around each other, fighting for waves. the waves were just as good where i was, but it wasn't the 'normal spot'. it's as if most surfers are incapable of doing anything but following the pack. and again, some do this and bring attitude to the party as well. to me, surfing is an individual sport and if at all possible, best done solo...i can chat up the session afterwards. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal