Author Topic: Beating a dead horse  (Read 18139 times)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beating a dead horse
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
Tai Chi and/or  Chi Gong is also very gentle on the body.  Like a good yoga session, an hour of Tai Chi and or Chi Gong will give the body a good workout without the stress associated with running etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Unfortunately my granddaughter has me wrapped on her little finger. The shoulder rides will likely continue...not for 2 miles though and probably not for much longer.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
All good advice.......yoga has been on the "I should start doing that" list far too long.

I'm thinking chiro but its the finding a good one

Yoga is on my list too... When I get to the 7th decade , ie turn 60 in 7.5years time. I don't have the time for it now and so far paddling 25km+ a week keeps the pains away. I also recommend having a good Physio. Not a Chiro. I find Chiro feels great at the time but is not lasting. A good Physio who knows Pilates and also massage therapy is my therapist of choice. I have young kids and no question; carrying them on my shoulders is a no no now. My Physio explained that the compression to the discs in the spine is one of the things to avoid as we age. If anything you want to stretch the spine and allow the discs to self lubricate. So I avoid any carrying of things for long times on my shoulders.

The Men's Journal article explains a lot. When I first started SUP I was a gym rat and did a lot of sitting in my job. It was a real effort to build up those small muscles and exhausting at first. One hour of SUP and I ended up going home for a lie down and a 1 hour nap. But now, 4 years later I have found that I only injure myself pushing it in other sports. I am dying to get back out windsurfing which I did extensively in my 20s but I know it will result in injury. Sticking to the knitting has its pros... Keep that spine moving and stay away from compressing those discs...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
Bob, what you're brother advises is really the key to those long term, and at our
age, seemingly permenant back pains.

The chiros and other back manipulators can/might give temporary respite but the
daily session of some simple yoga is the only permanent relief I've found.

That and a double dose of ibuprofen after the heavy days too guarantee a good nights sleep. Good luck.

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »
but..... there IS good news!

It gets worse... so enjoy what you have today ;D ;D ;D

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »
What about diet & nutrition? I feel a little bit out of place on this thread so I'll be as respectful to the elders as possible ;D For the almost two years I've been SUPing, I'd almost always feel tired, sore or worn out after paddle or surf sessions. I just thought I was getting old. But when I cleaned up my diet, reduced sugar intake, cut alcohol completely, and started drinking recovery drinks after SUP sessions, I felt reinvigorated. I could easily do multiple sessions in a day whereas before I'd want to take a nap after one session.

And getting chiro treatments every two weeks for six months has really helped my lower back issue. I'm now on once a month schedule.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:46:53 AM by SaMoSUP »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
Ah, yes, the importance of chocolate milk. I forgot that. You can spend more money on tailored drink, but a small chocolate milk right after you get out of the water is simply remarkable. Our buddy Lee from Gig Harbor ( http://www.leessup.com/ ) comes to the gorge a lot and brings a cooler full of costco chocolate milk. Besides tasting totally amazing when you've done an eight mile downwinder it makes you feel great very quickly. It's probably responsible for half of the second runs we've done. It would be more, but Lee isn't here as often as he used to be before his little biz got bigger.

I'm a month into being on the wagon (with some minor slips) and except for the stupid fantastic apple pie Diane bought at Harvest Fest I'm also off the sugar. We'll see how that eventually translates. Couldn't leave that damned pie alone. I got Diane to take the remainder to her Dad when she went to visit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
So does chocolate Haagen Dazs ice cream count as frozen chocolate milk?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »
I went on a gluten (almost) free regimen over a year ago and it got me back some of my energy along with a flatter stomach.
That was on top of already healthy easting habits with very little or no process food, fresh vegetable and so on...
Chocolate, the real thing not what you find in a chocolate bar, 70% cocoa is a staple :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
Stoneaxe - next time you go for a long walk use something like this to save yourself a sore back the next day.  If you play your cards right - she may enjoy and want to pull the cart herself .....

Hint - a nice chocolate covered cone treat does always help to seal the deal for wee ones though - and big people too  ;)

8)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
I think yoga is wonderful.  I don't care if it makes me look like a flit anymore.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »
One other thing to pay attention to is circulation, especially in legs, and especially you, Bob, since we share the same genetic root and Mom and Aunt Betty both have/had leg vein issues. I'm headed back to the vein doc after daughter Elizabeth went off on me about not wearing compression socks and quitting statins. She's an EMT now and deep into being a paramedic. She went sideways on me when I admitted I have a little edema and deep vein thrombosis but haven't been wearing those damned socks. Significant stroke issue.

Between Boyum with UV sleeves and me with compression tights we're going to look like the Shady Acres retirement bus broke down at Kanaha. Nothing graceful about this process.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »
Since it's about aging and overdoing I'll jump in. Although at 56 in this group I may be in over my head.

Last week I deciding to remove a boat davit off a dock. Not sure what it weighed, (1500 lifting capacity) but it was more than I should have lifted. When I mentioned my intention to my wife, she told me "It's too heavy... Don't do it!". Should have listened. Got it unbolted and of course I somehow how ended up with the heavy end tucked up under my left arm pit, and the young buck took the far light end. He was obviously smarter than me. Anyway somehow carried it down the dock and into the van. Thought I'd gotten away with it until later that night. Over the next several days a bruise appeared where I had locked it under my arm, and also much pain  trying to lift my arm up. Of course the wife in a loving tone "Told you not to do it".   
My concern was that I had torn the rotator cuff. Already had the right one repaired which is not fun. Anyway pain went away, and seems OK now.   Got away with it, lesson learned...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
I also feel old sometimes, but still don't think I'd have any trouble beating a dead horse even if I gave him a head start.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »
I'm so inconsistent.  I'l go along great with yoga , yogurt and granola, juicing, lotsa veggies... then go on a bender and eat fried chicken, fried fish, fried, fried, fried until I bloat out and make myself sick of me.  Recovery gets longer as my nose and ear hair gets harder to control.

I'm piggin' out on Blue Bell ice cream right now... burp. Hey, I'll do a few more miles tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal