Author Topic: New Tail Handle  (Read 102361 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: New Tail Handle
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
If nothing else just give the idea to one of the manufacturers....tell them they can make a donation to the CCBC.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
I was thinking of trying one of the Surfco EZ Plug Contour Handles.  Has anyone tried one?  Anyone recommend against them?  I'm rarely in anything over head high.  Think this would be OK for the fingers?  Wrist? 

50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
Seems like the next logical step would be to install two more leash plugs on the tail, 8 to 10 inches apart when you glass the board.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
At least I can still make a Shaka with the 3 Middle Fingers Missing...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:04:38 PM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »
I was thinking of trying one of the Surfco EZ Plug Contour Handles.  Has anyone tried one?  Anyone recommend against them?  I'm rarely in anything over head high.  Think this would be OK for the fingers?  Wrist?

Been there, done that.  Several other Zoners have used this one also; I believe Kayadogg did too.  Search for and review their posts on this subject.   

I've found that this is a great option; just need to make sure you keep the handle tightly tied so that it doesn't flop around and encourage grabbing/wrist breaking.  I usually cut off the strings that go through the handle and make my own with 550 paracord; this allows the user to untie the knot and retighten as necessary.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
What I'm working kind of half-heartedly on is a stomp pad with an integral handle. You can make one yourself as I did. Take a stomp pad with a thick heel and cut out an underhung finger slot near the back before you put it on. Works great, no chance of stuck fingers, and it doesn't change the effectiveness as a stomp pad. the other approach was a solid foam handle for boards with no stomp pad. Just one face with an overhang to grab and a ramp on the backside. I'd shoot a photo but the one I have here ripped off in heavy surf. I need to use something as robust as stomp pad material. I'm going to have some of both made and might even play around with selling some. Ponostyle.com is tanned, rested and ready. It would require some actual effort on my part, so don't hold your breath.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 12:15:14 AM »
I think this sounds like a good job for the 3-D printer Bill.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »
What I'm working kind of half-heartedly on is a stomp pad with an integral handle. You can make one yourself as I did.

Very cool.  Do you have any pics Bill?  (sorry if you've already posted and I missed them)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »

I have the Surfco on my Vec...so far so good but if you're ordering the Surfco handle you can, for about the same price, get enough plugs and make a DIY thats better and do a few boards. No guarantee on wrist but like the kernel said....you don't want it so loose that it can twist and trap. it's the fingers that are in the most danger.

I think Bill's stomp pad idea is best, though I haven't found one with a heel thick enough to be really effective, I need more to grip. If I can't find one I'll just add some more under it. It's what I'll do on any new boards.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:23:56 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
this thing works great. 1" pvc pipe, foam insulation, wrapped with monster tape. left hollow, so drains.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 09:21:58 AM »
Eastbound that looks familiar, great minds. ;)

2 Surfco mounts, paracord inside vinyl tubing, covered in pipe insulation, duct tape.

No stretch, no bind, no real way to get your hand stuck in it. 2 years and counting and it's passed every test.

$15 tops.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »
not exactly original thought, but so clumsy with search on this forum, couldnt find prior examples.

there have been a few variations on this theme. clearly one mustve been yours.

i might go to 3/4" pipe for my S3. it's lighter and less unwieldy in the work zone.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
A good reason to start a new thread sometimes is because it sparks lots of new ideas and dialog. If you just searched everything there wouldn't me much use for a forum after awhile.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
does anyone have a cheap source for those plugs?  at most places i've seen or found, between the plugs themselves and shipping, the price is ridiculous. or maybe someone should set up a group buy?

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »
Covesurfer, you wrote::

Even is mushy waves, if it's big, the whitewash is incredibly powerful and it will just grab the board. The Raptor strap will stretch enough that your hand ends up far enough behind the tail that it will get pinched when the board springs back. I've tried doing the pushup move, but still, when the handle stretches under load and then returns, you will have your fingers trapped between the strap and that nice swallow tail.

I have the same set up (NSI+Raptor) and through my handle was recently stretched long enough to break the elastic (though not the handle strap itself) I haven't had that problem. Were your fingers wrapped all the way around the handle or just part way?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal