Author Topic: Stillwater Canyon on the Green River, Canyonlands Natl Park, Utah  (Read 7328 times)

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Stillwater Canyon on the Green River, Canyonlands Natl Park, Utah
« on: September 28, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
Late spring and early fall are nice times in the desert Southwest, and Mrs. levity and I decided to visit the canyonlands of south and central Utah for some backpacking, biking and, of course, paddling.  Last year we SUP’d Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons on the Green River in late May and early June (see http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,20607.0.html and http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,20959.0.html).  Both canyons were spectacular and we wondered how they would look in the lower light of a September sun.  Due to time constraints we decided to just run the Stillwater section in Canyonlands Natl Park.  With water levels lower than in May/June we looked forward to more sandbars so we could pitch campsites “in the river”.

We stayed in Moab and arranged with Tag-a-long Outfitters to shuttle us to a put-in at Mineral Bottom and pick us up in a jetboat at the confluence with the Colorado River for the trip back up to Moab. Three days paddling, two nights camping, 52 miles.

Here’s a view on the drive in from near the top of Mineral Canyon (~5000 ft) looking down at the Green River about 1000 ft below.  The red Windgate sandstone cliffs above the river are about 400 ft high.

This is about 2/3 of the way down to Mineral Bottom, the road heading to the water leading to the green trees in the distance.

Here’s Jill heading out shortly after we launched.  The sky was mostly clear, but we’d seen thunderstorms in the distance (spun off from Hurricane Odile) and knew the clouds and rain would come as we headed downstream.

Shortly after taking these pics the wind rose and the skies opened up. We stopped next to shore, pulled out our umbrellas, waited things out for about 30 min, and took off again.  This happened twice over about 2 hours, but then it cleared up again.  Amazing how quickly things can change.

After ~20 miles we found our first night’s campsite on a sandbar with a nice view downriver.

During the night we would see the sky light up due to distant lightning, but good fortune smiled on us and it didn’t rain.  The next morning started out partly cloudy, but soon cleared.  After a mile or so we paddled around Bonita Bend and past a number of beautiful towers.  The river water had taken on a reddish color due to all the storm run-off.

Shortly after Bonita Bend the river cuts through and runs along White Rim sandstone, a hard layer that forms the lower plateau of Canyonlands Natl Park (and has the very fun White Rim bike/jeep trail).

Near the end of a ~5 mile section next to the White Rim the river turns around a butte (“Turks Head”) formed beneath a hard cap of White Rim sandstone.

Here’s a view from above in a photo from two days earlier during our bike ride in Island in the Sky in the Park.  This was taken at about 6000 ft on the road to Upheaval Dome and looking southwest toward the Orange Cliffs and Maze regions.  The White Rim sandstone cap on Turks Head can be seen at the bend in the river in the upper center of the picture.

A few miles down from Turk’s Head we found a large sandbar that formed just below Horse Canyon which comes in from the Maze area to the west of the river.  Our view downriver:

The island was about 100 yards long and was also the temporary residence of a family of Canada Geese: mom, dad and 11 goslings.  They were fun to watch as they enjoyed the water and all the new grass growing on the island.

The next morning was our last stretch out to the confluence with the Colorado, and we just enjoyed cruising in the shade provided by the towering canyon walls of Cedar Mesa sandstone.

We stopped briefly where Water Canyon joins the river.  Last June at higher water levels we were able to paddle up Water Canyon about ¼ mile.

From there it was just over 3 miles to the confluence so we just soaked up the sun and views.

The last part on the Green where it joins the Colorado. (PFDs are required on the Colorado.)

The jetboat met us a couple of miles downriver about 1pm for the return to Moab.  The nostalgia we felt deflating our boards and loading our gear on the big boat to reenter civilization was compensated to a degree by the nice views heading up Meander Canyon.  Here’s a final pic looking up at the cliffs of Deadhorse State Park.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stillwater Canyon on the Green River, Canyonlands Natl Park, Utah
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »
Fantastic pics.
Fantastic trip.
Jealous.  There's nothing like a western river trip.  Gotta get back out there.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
Another Excellent Adventure..

Thanks for taking us along...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
AWESOME !
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
levity & JillR.... you are always an inspiration and your trip postings are much appreciated. Thanks for another adventure ;D

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
A very nice way to spend three days. Thanks for sharing your photos.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
Hey Jill and Levity,
I've said this before, but I am retired vicariously through the two of you. That is some beautiful country. I can just imagine the stars at night. Wow!

I was looking at the pictures, and it hit me..... You have to keep up with Jill! I pictured you guys just floating down this river. Then I thought, Jill is no floater, she's a charger!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:49:01 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 03:15:59 AM »
WOW! What an adventure! Great pics! I love that part of the country

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
Nice trip...someday when i retire maybe.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal