Author Topic: BIC ACE-TEC Rail bubbles  (Read 4288 times)

SUPgnat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
BIC ACE-TEC Rail bubbles
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
I have a 20014 11' 6" ACE-TEC. I just noticed real small bubbles steaming from a few areas on the board.
 There is no damage on the places where the bubbles are coming from. Anyone know what's causing this?
Thanks

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BIC ACE-TEC Rail bubbles
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
Hard to day without seeing.  Pics?

Usually bubbles = delam.  Never seen that happen on a Bic, but all things are possible in this world...

/m
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »
This isn't just the usual problem that we hear so often about on this forum - tiny little bubbles in the paint, is it?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
These sound like pin hole leaks which happen during glassing. Leave it in the sun. When it gets hot enough the bubbles should show up.  Mark the area with tape or a pencil. Pin holes at or above water line shouldn't take on to much water.  Below water line? Matters how long it's been like that.  Probably from day one. Very repairable,  but it needs to dry.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
That sounds (w/o seeing it) like a Seam leaks These rae hard to stop because the water ususally comes in one place and goes out another (bubbling) that sounds like a manufacturing flaw and Bic have a 1 yr warranty on mat'l and workmanship I suggest you document(w/pictures) this and contact your dealer

JimK

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »
Can't be good. Pinholes are pretty common, but probably not likely with a molded BIC Ace-Tec finish. Could be a seam leak as Jim suggests. If air is coming out, it's likely that water is getting in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »
Hard to day without seeing.  Pics?

Usually bubbles = delam.  Never seen that happen on a Bic, but all things are possible in this world...

/m

sorry misread your post, was thinking bubbles in the paint not actual water bubbles. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SUPgnat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't describe it right. The bubbles are coming out of the seams.

They are very little and I barely noticed them. There is no damage on the rails.
No water is coming out of the holes when I get out of the water.

I don't really want to use rail tape. Any suggestions on what to repair them with?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Oh, there's water in there. You wouldn't have bubbles if there wasn't any water. I don't know if there is a drain plug in it? You could open it up and let it dry. You could also drill some 1/8" holes in the area that the bubbles are coming out and let it dry out that way. Then seal the holes with the appropriate epoxy for the board material. One way to fix the leaks would be to get a glue syringe and inject some epoxy directly into the spots where the seam is bubbling. Rail tape will do very little for a leak.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal