Author Topic: Would this qualify as warranty?  (Read 7517 times)

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Would this qualify as warranty?
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:12:36 PM »
I have had the board for a week....in water once other time in garage!
Noticed this dent on top of the board earlier today. I paddled it few days ago for one hour. That is all.
ANy idea why this happened? How can this happen?

board is 2015 Naish Javelin GX X28 14ft....

What do you think?
I contacted my dealer already...

Thanks,
P
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would this qualify as warranty?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
IMO it's a very easy thing to happen.. even while sitting on the sand at the beach..

It's a bummer.. I think I'd smear some car body filler putty on and lightly sand it flush..

Maybe they might warrantee it.. but you really need to pick these things up before leaving the shop.. It might have been a shipping or transport thing..

The bottoms of these boards are very thin and fragile.

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
You would think that shop would inspect the board also prior to delivering....no?

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »
Dings happen, this one looks pretty minor.  I would not stress about it, better to get on the water and de-stress.  The first ding is always the worst, you will get over it and if you use your board a lot there will be plenty more battle scars.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:11:50 AM »
^^ yep. First ding as almost a relief! It's kinda stressful before that coz you know it's going to happen.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 06:05:23 AM »
the answer to the question is no.

More to the point, we buy these things to use. Consider it the start of the patina that comes with something you use well and love.

On a practical note, it looks like something that might have come from your rack. It's easy to damage a board carrying it--in fact probably ha;f the damage done over a lifetime comes from transport. Make sure you rack cross a flat area of your board. Make sure you don't pull on the straps hard--you can easily crush the rails. My friends go a little nutty when the boards start dancing around on top of my rig, but a little wiggling (or a lot) is better than damaging rails.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:39:27 AM »
Thanks guys for your replies.
I am extremely careful with all my things and swear i never bumped or dropped this board.
If i did i would not post here as it would br 100% my fault and no questions asked.
This is where my concern is!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
You don't have to bump or drop it, in fact that doesn't look like a bump or drop. It looks like pressure applied to the crown of the V. No big deal except you undoubtedly hate to see it.

I'm NOT careful with my stuff, but I've been babying my new Amundsen 14. Yesterday I laid it carefully on my well-padded rack and tied it down. When I got to the water I took it off the rack and noticed a white area on the bright red paint. No big deal, I tried to wipe it off and found the area was essentially sanded. I climbed up and checked my rack and found sand on the top of the pad, undoubtedly from a board that had been there previously.

Damn. Oh well. The babying period is officially over.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:46:22 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:42:13 AM »
Like mention no, stuff like that can happen so easy without even noticing it could have happened a thousand different ways and once you have used it its imposable to prove other wise, could have been from something as little as resting in on something for a few minuets.  All ways fully cheque a board over yourself before putting your money down, you wouldn't buy a car without checking the body work first? Its not going to effect it other than cosmetics and you will soon bash it up far more than that i guarantee so just enjoy your new board.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:01:27 AM »
Anyone else noticed how little kids love to jump all over boards that are sitting on the beach.. Even with their parents right beside them.. [they usually don't care either]

It just takes a small stone or even a shell to leave a dent in the bottom of some boards.. and some of these little kids weigh next to nothing.. You've gotta watch em..  ;D

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
I think many of us have been in that awkward situation where your buddy's  (or unknown) kids jump on your board while its sitting on the ground. My heart rate hits 180 and I pretend I need to check the fin....

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
David John, you are right on point with the kids on the beach jumping on boards, AND the parents doing nothing about it!  LOL.  We have also experienced adults trying to grab boards and take them out for a paddle and when we ask what they are doing they have told us that they assumed they were rentals.  Our group has been making little stands out of PVC pipes that we use to put our boards up right in the sand (or a dock) where we can lay the boards in the little rack on their rails.  We can fit more boards in one spot, not change of people stepping on them, and if it is really hot out, we can throw a tarp over them.

That little "dent" makes me think of the ones that I see on noses of friends carbon fiber boards that have a raised ridge or spine running the length of the nose (think of a Bark).  I have watched as they go to stand up, they will bridge their paddle across the nose in front of the deckpad and as they stand up, they almost do a push up.  Most of their weight is bridged across their paddle shaft, which is resting right on that raised spine of the nose.  It seems like a lot of the people that get up like that tend to have little dents on the noses of their boards.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:16:49 AM »
It seems like Bill is on the right track. We demo out boards and had our Amundson 14 come back with a crack where the rack would be. It happens
and it will happen again. Bill, your going to like the Amundson .
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »
I liked it a lot, it's the best 14 I've found for a guy my size, but it's still a 14. I gave it two days and two downwinders and swapped it with Big Winds for a production Bullet 17 they had that was gathering dust. The Amundsen is a remarkable board, it trims with my weight at the handle and has a good sized sweet spot--I could walk all over it. I only got my hair wet once in two days. But it falls directly in between my F16 and my 12'2" surfboard for Viento time. I was hoping it would be closer to the F16, but how much can you expect with 245 pounds on the little bugger. Sure was pretty, and it sure was light. I'm going to get a hernia lugging this Bullet. Got to be 40 pounds.

As DJ said, the clueless parents letting their kids crawl all over someone else's board just blow me away. There was some schmuck at the Gorge Paddle Challenge that was putting his sand-covered kid on people's paper-thin race boards. Again and again people would rush over and take the board away, and he just kept doing it. I finally had to say something to him and he looked at me like he wanted to punch me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:11:32 AM by PonoBill »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
As DJ said, the clueless parents letting their kids crawl all over someone else's board just blow me away. There was some schmuck at the Gorge Paddle Challenge that was putting his sand-covered kid on people's paper-thin race boards. Again and again people would rush over and take the board away, and he just kept doing it. I finally had to say something to him and he looked at me like he wanted to punch me.
The sand-covered ones are the worst.  I saw one of them jump on a board on the beach at a demo day here and snap off the fin. 

By the way, if anyone at Round the Rock sees a 130-lb. 1/2 German Shepherd/1/2 Mastiff wearing goggles and a yellow pfd, and who has developed a love of standup, jumping onto your board to go for a ride, he's not mine.  Especially if he does it at the start.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:49:22 AM by pdxmike »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal