Author Topic: Do you have to obey a state park ranger, lifeguard or a Coast Guard officer?  (Read 5357 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm off to my yearly trip to Santa Cruz Island this Friday and, like I have said before, I intend to do most of the sea caves via SUP.  Never SUPd it or seen anyone else on this side of the island.  I have always done it on a kayak for years.  There are park rangers in boats sometimes and occasionally a Coast Guard boat hanging around.  I am aware of no law that says you can't SUP in the sea caves, but I can envision one of the above authorities citing some general rule concerning public safety and telling me I can't.  No specific rule, but maybe they have leeway to decide if something is safe or not, and therefore rule that I can't SUP in the caves.  I know the caves and the area very well, and will make sure I and my group are safe; I don't need their guidance.  If they make up things like that on-the-fly, can I be cited for ignoring it?  If I'm cited, can I fight it in court? 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:51:24 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Depends on the park; local, state or federal.  In my experience, if you are demonstrating that you are not a danger to yourself or others by say wearing a pfd and following all the other regs, they will normally leave you be.  Fighting a citation in a state or local court is very different than going to a federal magistrate court.  You do need to calculate the cost of having your gear confiscated if you really piss them off.  May just be easier to ask for forgiveness and politely do as your asked by law enforcement.  Just my 2 cents

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'll amend that to "Do as they say...as long as they are watching." 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Yes and yes.  However, the costs of hiring an attorney, or if self-represented, is not worth the hassle.  You can probably order a new custom board, or two, with the money for an attorney or for gas/hotel/foods/time-off from work to drive up to Santa Cruz to fight the citation.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
It also depends on the mood of the official talking to you.  Have your options ready, but be ready to obey. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
If you see a boat marked "Coast Guard Auxiliary", you can completely ignore them.

They will often pretend like they are the Coast Guard but they have no more power than any other boater.  They are usually made up of volunteers with very little on water experience.

The Coast Guard symbol on their boats makes them feel big.

They've tried to stop me from doing things a few times. At first I thought they were actually part of the Coast Guard so I did what they told me. Now I'm wise to them and I just tell them to beat it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:00:35 PM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questioning authority is so Ramone-ish. I'm with you brother, the book of rules is written for the weak, and fearful. Stay home, and lock your doors.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Tell them you just paddled here from Honduras to escape the violence of local shortboarders.....they'll just look the other way..... ::) ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:53:03 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Questioning authority is so Ramone-ish. I'm with you brother, the book of rules is written for the weak, and fearful. Stay home, and lock your doors.

That's funny you would say that.

I just happen to be wearing my Ramones T shirt.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:25:36 PM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Did you see the story in the latest SUJ about the run in with the ranger/officer...... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:13:41 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes and yes.  However, the costs of hiring an attorney, or if self-represented, is not worth the hassle.  You can probably order a new custom board, or two, with the money for an attorney or for gas/hotel/foods/time-off from work to drive up to Santa Cruz to fight the citation.
Knowing what you do, I especially appreciate your input.  Thanks, Rat.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
RIP Ramones and thanks for bucking authority.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
If you see a boat marked "Coast Guard Auxiliary", you can completely ignore them.

They will often pretend like they are the Coast Guard but they have no more power than any other boater.  They are usually made up of volunteers with very little on water experience.

The Coast Guard symbol on their boats makes them feel big.

They've tried to stop me from doing things a few times. At first I thought they were actually part of the Coast Guard so I did what they told me. Now I'm wise to them and I just tell them to beat it.

This is really bad advice.  Although the CG Auxiliary are not law enforcement officers, they are often on patrol in direct support of Coast Guard missions and if you blow them off, they will call the real Coast Guard to enforce the law.
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Tell them you just paddled here from Honduras to escape the violence of local shortboarders.....they'll just look the other way..... ::) ;)
But not before they give you a Cal. driver's license, free education, food stamps, and healthcare.  You'd be way better off than the poor local homeless people, it's a win win.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal