Author Topic: Some 14s and inflatables  (Read 4767 times)

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some 14s and inflatables
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
I went to the NW paddling festival in Seattle and had a chance to paddle a few 12-6 touring inflatables (including an Imagine, Raven, Naish), as well as a few rigid 14er’s: Stand on Liquid Revere, and the Lakeshore River Rover.  I found the inflatables to flex along the long axis which made them feel a bit less stable and less fun; but they seemed to be quick enough.  Both 14ers felt very stable and had good glide.
Lakeshore River Rover has a boxy cross section, completely flat deck, minimal rocker, and a fine bow.  (14’x31”x5”, 297 L, 35 #)  It moved through the water with little effort, had good glide, and tracked well.  Even this high volume wide board felt fine to me.
Stand on Liquid Revere has a double concave bottom, rounded rails, minimal rocker, and a fine bow.  (14’x30”x6.7”, 309 L, 32#)  It moved through water with little effort, had good glide, tracked well.  This felt a little more efficient than the Lakeshore board.  It was plenty stable and the volume was not a problem.
I did not paddle the Laird/Bark 14 this time but it is the board by which I judge all other 14s (it is the best board I've demoed for my application - lake and Puget Sound fitness paddling)

I would be happy with the SOL Revere and feel is compares favorably with the Laird/Bark.  I don't think inflatables are in my future this year.  Perhaps soon I will demo one that really feels good, but haven't found one yet.

Robert (165 lbs, 68", I like a stable board, currently paddle a Ron House 12-6 race board)

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
Re: Some 14s and inflatables
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »
I bet that was fun to check out all those boards back to back to back. Especially the ability to compare how fast they are side by side.

Any idea what the iSUPs were inflated to? They are a LOT less bouncy when you get up to 17 or 18 or more psi. I have LakeShores Heavenly Air now & when it's inflated to 18 psi, it isn't a lot different than the foam/epoxy boards I've been on..... on a fairly calm lake anyway. I'm sure that changes the more wavy the water gets.
--
Bill

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »
I asked every vendor about the pressure.  Most said somewhere between 10 and 15 psi, but the Imagine rep pumped it to 18psi before I got on it.  I suspected that they might not optimally inflated (which is odd for a demo day if you want to sell boards).  Robert

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
Yea, I'm finding that most iSUPs don't say that you can pump them up over about 15 psi. Only a few actually note it, ie; Mistral, Starboard, & LakeShore to name a few.

iSUPs are still kind of the unknown too. So pumping them up that much isn't really that well documented yet.

I'm like 230 & don't have stability issues on the LakeShore though.
--
Bill

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Yea, I'm finding that most iSUPs don't say that you can pump them up over about 15 psi. Only a few actually note it, ie; Mistral, Starboard, & LakeShore to name a few.

iSUPs are still kind of the unknown too. So pumping them up that much isn't really that well documented yet.

I'm like 230 & don't have stability issues on the LakeShore though.

Most higher end iSUPs can take a lot more then recommended. Its like speed limit, a bit over and you are fine! I am sure some of the cheap ones on the market you might not want to push it, plus altitude and heat can be a factor.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Most higher end iSUPs can take a lot more then recommended. Its like speed limit, a bit over and you are fine! I am sure some of the cheap ones on the market you might not want to push it, plus altitude and heat can be a factor.
I think your on there. But as much as I've looked around, that really isn't in print anywhere. This will be my first summer with an inflatable. I've watched the pressure pretty closely so far. If it's 60 degrees in the garage & 70 degrees outside, I will see a like 1 or 2 psi change. I'm wondering what it's going to be like when it's 60 in the garage & 100 outside!
--
Bill

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »
I think your on there. But as much as I've looked around, that really isn't in print anywhere. This will be my first summer with an inflatable. I've watched the pressure pretty closely so far. If it's 60 degrees in the garage & 70 degrees outside, I will see a like 1 or 2 psi change. I'm wondering what it's going to be like when it's 60 in the garage & 100 outside!

Yeah that could cause some damage esp if you get the psi up to 18-20. But I have heard they can take a LOT more psi and would love to know if anyone has tested the max of a board. I am located at 7400 ft and when I take my iSUP to higher river or lakes its back breaking getting it up to even 15 psi. At 9000 ft 12-13 feels just as firm as 15-16. I have heard of people leaving theirs in cars (car temps can easily get up to 120+) and having a budge (or tumor) form on board.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
I've exploded a few mountain bike tires in Montana, where the temperature would go from 20 in the morning (when I'd ride) to 70 or 80 by afternoon.  It's LOUD.  I'd hate to see what would happen to an iSUP that exploded. 

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
I've exploded a few mountain bike tires in Montana, where the temperature would go from 20 in the morning (when I'd ride) to 70 or 80 by afternoon.  It's LOUD.  I'd hate to see what would happen to an iSUP that exploded.

Could kill you.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »

Could kill you.
I actually did know a guy who had his Naish inflatable explode when he was on it.  He survived but barely.  He said the explosion blasted him several hundred feet into the air.  At some point, he stopped rising and started falling back down towards (luckily) the water.  It happened so quickly he still wasn't quite sure it was the board that exploded. 

Then while he was falling, the weirdest thing happened.  He saw a guy with an apron and BBQ tongs shooting up directly towards him.  As they passed, my buddy said, "Hey!  Do you know anything about inflatable SUPs?"  The guy said, "Noooo!  Do you know anything about propane stoves?"

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »

Could kill you.
I actually did know a guy who had his Naish inflatable explode when he was on it.  He survived but barely.  He said the explosion blasted him several hundred feet into the air.  At some point, he stopped rising and started falling back down towards (luckily) the water.  It happened so quickly he still wasn't quite sure it was the board that exploded. 

Then while he was falling, the weirdest thing happened.  He saw a guy with an apron and BBQ tongs shooting up directly towards him.  As they passed, my buddy said, "Hey!  Do you know anything about inflatable SUPs?"  The guy said, "Noooo!  Do you know anything about propane stoves?"

HA! I always get a kick out of the rise in injuries around Thanksgiving when people put frozen turkeys in deep fryer.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »
Hahahah, hilarious.

Last summer we were at Lake Shasta (elevation 1067 ft) for a week or so skiing & paddlin. One of the guys had brought his Malibu ski boat from Reno. When he was prepping the boat to leave he deflated all his bumpers. He said they would blow up going over Donner Pass (elevation 7057 ft).

Later I wondered if he had problems with his tires too.
--
Bill

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »
Hahahah, hilarious.

Last summer we were at Lake Shasta (elevation 1067 ft) for a week or so skiing & paddlin. One of the guys had brought his Malibu ski boat from Reno. When he was prepping the boat to leave he deflated all his bumpers. He said they would blow up going over Donner Pass (elevation 7057 ft).

Later I wondered if he had problems with his tires too.

I would not worry about tires at all. Most peoples tires are under inflated anyways and a tire can take MASSIVE amounts of pressure. Boat bumper has no reason to be built for high PSI. I have heard of some Double Pane or Triple Pane windows cracking because of altitude when trucks go over high mtn passes. To solve that issue they install breather tubes, which kinda defeats the purpose of putting gasses in between panes to achieve its stated R-value. 

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

I've exploded a few mountain bike tires in Montana, where the temperature would go from 20 in the morning (when I'd ride) to 70 or 80 by afternoon.
Just another wonderful spring or fall day in paradise. Won't see none of them pesky palm trees around either. Heck, my tulips and daffodils are just now poking up out of the ground. Can't even tell what they are yet. 

So...I have wondered, most of my activity is at 7000-8000 feet. Going to 12 psi at this elevation is equivalent to 14 or so at sea level? Is that really something to consider? Actually would be good to know if going to go over 15. I wouldn't want to end up like that guy on the Naish. Maybe that's what happened.

I have heard about the Mistral  board and hoping to hear from more people on it. It sounds as if they have found their own construction method.  Nice to hear about the Revere and the River Rover too. I have looked into the Rover in the past.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »

I've exploded a few mountain bike tires in Montana, where the temperature would go from 20 in the morning (when I'd ride) to 70 or 80 by afternoon.
Just another wonderful spring or fall day in paradise. Won't see none of them pesky palm trees around either. Heck, my tulips and daffodils are just now poking up out of the ground. Can't even tell what they are yet. 

So...I have wondered, most of my activity is at 7000-8000 feet. Going to 12 psi at this elevation is equivalent to 14 or so at sea level? Is that really something to consider? Actually would be good to know if going to go over 15. I wouldn't want to end up like that guy on the Naish. Maybe that's what happened.

I have heard about the Mistral  board and hoping to hear from more people on it. It sounds as if they have found their own construction method.  Nice to hear about the Revere and the River Rover too. I have looked into the Rover in the past.

I was at a 9000 ft lake last summer and wore myself out trying to get isup to 13 psi whereas at 7400 ft it was much easier and could get it too 16. I would guess that at sea level it would easily get to 18-20. The company of the board I ride is based out of my town and I'm sure they took this into consideration when getting boards built in China. Badfish isups have same warning around valve that says to only inflate too 15 psi. Everyone says uli's and red paddle boards can get up too 18 but that is at sea level. I'm sure Hala and Badfish could easily do 18-20 psi. Anyone tried???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal