Author Topic: FINS (thruster and QUAD) for Naish Houkua 9´5??  (Read 2029 times)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
FINS (thruster and QUAD) for Naish Houkua 9´5??
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »
hey there!! new SUP , blew out my side fins (FCS mk-7) i could get them here for 50 usd.

My question, anyone knows wich fins "does the job better" ?

I have a Jamie Mitchell center fin that could use.

Don´t know really the difference in the ride btw thruster and Quad. (if anyone could explain to me, thank in advance!!)

here in Uruguay i found "Shapers Fins"(expensive) and they have some Quad X size M and for thruster they have the S-8 model and the AM2, any one knows if they work?

I know Naish put a lot of research and they must think that the MK7 is the best for the job, but anyone there have a different opinion?

Thakns a lot!!

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FINS (thruster and QUAD) for Naish Houkua 9´5??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:41:25 PM »
Fins can be a staggering topic and one I've been into lately. I often find myself staring at them online or caressing the inside foil of real live fins at a local shop like some kind of honey combed fiberglass perv.
I've found that no one set up does the job better. It really boils down to a matter of taste, your style, the board, and the conditions.
What kind of surf are you in? Big fast and faced up, crumbly mush burgers, or the kind of in between we get here in SoCal? Are you a lip smacking wave assassin like Bob "Jungle Death"  Gerrard, or a soul surfing flow master with a way of looking at the wave and saying "hey bud, let's party."
Coincidentally I just rode a later model Naish Hokua 9-3 with a straight up thruster set up and it was a great ride. Head high pitchy fast beach break and that board worked great.
So someone please correct me where I go wrong:
On the most conventional set ups,
Thrusters allow for more speed control, and more range of maneuverability when ridden off the tail.
Quads are faster due to the uninterrupted flow down the centerline, lend themselves to more skatey rail to rail riding, and hold better tucked into the pocket on bigger, more vertical faces.
I find a foiled inboard side bite slows things down unless the wave really has some push, that's why I use flat faced side bites around here whether I'm on a quad or a thruster.
Then you start talking height, rake, base, flex, can't, and  toe, and I begin to get vertigo.
My favorite set up on my 8-2 semi fish is a 6.5 inch center cut away/squirrel tail, with flat foiled 4.5 inch future EA side bites.
But on the Hobie 7-11 raw I use a straight 4.5 inch thruster set up.
Quad on the 7-8 Kings Simmons. 5.5 inch outside and 3 inch inboard trailers.
I have a tool box I take to the beach with a ton of fins and am changing out and experimenting all the time. Sometimes it takes only one wave to know whether I've made a good call or I have to paddle in and try something else. I found my all time favorite fins for the Sim sup in the bargain box at the Rip Curl outlet here in San Clemente for 10$. Futures doesn't make them anymore and I can't even find them online. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you.
This is s good site with some solid info:

http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfboard-fins/setups/

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FINS (thruster and QUAD) for Naish Houkua 9´5??
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Well, that was the kind of answer i was looking for. Thanks a lot!!

You simplify my decision: can´t go wrong with the original fins and thruster set up.

The conditions here are "in the middle" Depending on the spot, more faced walls and some barrel in beachbreaks or mushy waves in others.

Now i will look forward for some Quad set only to have the two options. Any recomendations for Quad for the Hokua?

Again, thanks a lot!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal