Author Topic: naish hokua gt 9´5 review  (Read 5033 times)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
naish hokua gt 9´5 review
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
AS my dealer didn´t bring the prowave 9´6 i ordered on time for eastern holidays and a EPIC swell was predicted to uruguay and the last naish hokua gt 9´5 was waiting for me in the shop, I betrayed Fanatic althougth it gave my sooooo much with the AllWave 9´6 i was riding for the last year.

First of all, i don´t know about rails, thikness, concave or anything related, all i have to say i what a nice looking board!!!

Light, less pointy nose than expected, the tail is thing and sharp, and an other chapter is for the handle, its excellent!!! you could almost close your hand.

For my Allwave i bougth the Jaime Mitchel thruster fin and...the Naish comes with FCS side fins not Futures  >:(

Anyway, first day, EPIC, 6++ foot, clean waves, no wind, glass, warm water, dolphins swiming in the line up (10 feet from my sup), friendly line up, the channel put you in the spot with no need to paddle and with dry hair. As good as it get here in Uruguay, best conditions so far for 2014.

Moving from 170 liters to a 140 so a little worry about stability. This board has a big sweet spot very easy to find, stability was not an issue at all (i was in ideal conditions)

With my AW i had some issues with my technique to catch big waves (they pass throuh me) the NAISH its a wave machine!!!! One stroke to turn the board arround, two strokes to catch the wave.

On the wave, very fast, turns on a dime, cutbacks, accelerating using only the board, surfing top to bottom, just feel incredible.

One side fin touched the sand and blew out. No replacement where i was. Remove the other and went out only with the center fin. Some time getting used to paddle straight (more difficut) and to catch waves. It felt more lively and loose with only center fin, it force me to do more clean lines, more long board style.

Second day, smaller conditiones (4-6 foot ;D), at first perfect, later a little chopy and windy (10 mph side offshore) Thruster set up again with normal short board fins on the side (factory is MK7 and i was with MK3)

I could catch every wave i wanted but the tail felt very loose, and feeling that the tail "escape" some times, like it not  hold in the stepest waves. Anyway, i could do whatever i wanted, put the board where i wanted and by the time the windpicked up and chop chop came i was only one with the board  ;)jejejeje

This past saturday i had my 3 & 4 session with the board, 3.5 hours in the morning and 3.5 more hours in the afternoon . 4 foot, green water, warm water and sunny day, we been having a DREAMY URUGUAY this season.

Same as the other day, took every wave i wanted, place the board where i wanted, never been so happy with my surfing performance.

After i placed the order for the PW, i was having second thougths about it because i knew i could handle 13 liters less, now i know i made the rigth decision!!!

Hoping Jimyk deals with naish sups, if not, please take no offence with this, but Creek, you should consider switching your order. Haven´t demo a PW and only based on my 3 times seesion on my Naish, but i know now that with this board i could handle a lot of conditions and heavy seas.

Good Waves for everyone !!! i sooooooo stocked and happy that i have SUP in my life!!!!!

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: naish hokua gt 9´5 review
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »
please, now i have to buy the side fins, here i could get them for USD 50 the original one FCS MK-7

Anyone knows if there is other fins that work better with this boards??

supthecreek

Re: naish hokua gt 9´5 review
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
Hey Nacho... really glad that you are so stoked with the Hokua!
It's always nice to get good waves when you get a new board.

The Hokua is a great looking board... lots of guys rode them around my area.
I know you are used to how tough the Allwaves are... take care to keep your Hokua out of the impact zone.... they are not as durable as you are used to.

The Hokua at 29.5 wide and 140 liters would be fine for me on summer and glassy days... but I need the added float and width offered by the Prowave, since I am buying it as my winter/rough conditions board.... and I need a board that can survive crunchy beachbreaks.

Get yourself a GoPro and post some videos of you on your Hokua in some Uruguay surf...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal