Author Topic: moving from ALLWAVE 9´6 to ALLWAVE 8´11 (hey creek and jimik!!)  (Read 9452 times)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
hi there, specially Supthecreek(ALLWAVE GURU)

Last year i started SUP and SUS and considering your reviews i bought my first board, a Fanatic All Wave 9´6´´

Before that i tried only one time and for a half an hour a 8´11 AW that in the ocean was imposible for me to stand up (no problem in flat water)

Now, a year later with a lot of waves and diferent conditions in the ocean under my belt, still not an advanced paddler, but going out in any condition if there are waves,  i´m considering down sizing my 9´6  ( i can sell my board for a good price (think 1000) and have this price here in Uruguay for de AW 2014 , 9´6 x 1500, 9´2 x 1400, 8´11 x 1300)

Still weight 110 kg, now on a hard diet hoping to loose 25 kg. Like to have fun in the water, that being standing with no problem and cathing waves with ease.

So here are my questions:

1-is the "surfability" of the 8´11 that much better than de 9´6´´?
2-do we loose a lot of "fun" and start stressing just to stand up in the 8´11?
3-can the 8´11 be used as the "only board" (not much flat water paddling)
4- is it worth it?

Thanks a lot !!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: moving from ALLWAVE 9´6 to ALLWAVE 8´11 (hey creek and jimik!!)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
Hey,

I'll let Creek do the details But I would say it is very doable One suggestion is like Creek paddle it in both Flatwater and Waves If you just go out in the surf the transition might be more difficult Have fun

And let's see Creeks answer

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
thanks Jimik!!

Did you try one? know the diference between 2014 vs 2013?

My AW 9´6 2013 is in good shape, does it realy worth it to change and pay the extra money?

is really a big diference in surfing ability ?

Some times i have a hard time catching waves (6 feet, 10+ period) with my AW, the waves just goes and i stay (really dont know how to explain, but is like i cant just put the nose down)

the transition and all the work that involves, do i really get "paid" for that with a much better and fun surf board?

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
thanks Jimik!!

Did you try one? know the diference between 2014 vs 2013?

My AW 9´6 2013 is in good shape, does it realy worth it to change and pay the extra money?

is really a big diference in surfing ability ?

Some times i have a hard time catching waves (6 feet, 10+ period) with my AW, the waves just goes and i stay (really dont know how to explain, but is like i cant just put the nose down)

the transition and all the work that involves, do i really get "paid" for that with a much better and fun surf board?

The wave catching..... it doesn't sound like anything to do with the 9ft 6........I have one (now sits in the garage gathering dust) and those boards are just natural wave catchers. At 6ft and 10 period there's plenty power so must be you are either too far out to get the right part of the wave or maybe your balance on the board on take off is out or could be other things. You should only need three or four strokes and you are off on the wave....even less if you take the wave a little steeper. Best get someone to watch you and give you some tips as it might be a simple thing you are not getting right. Nothing to do with the board that is for sure and if you are struggling on a 9 6 then going smaller will just make it more difficult. Good luck....get some advice on technique though as it might change everything.

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
i know its a technique thing. when i start getting tired is like i dont put my foot foward and just stay with my two feet paralel. Not getting into surf stance.

some times, when i put my foot foward and stroke hard, if the time isnt right, the nose of the boar goes under water.

If i not put the foot foward, the nose of the board stays up, and the wave goes alone under me.

only one solutions...go out as many times as possible!!!

Thanks a lot guys

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
i know its a technique thing. when i start getting tired is like i dont put my foot foward and just stay with my two feet paralel. Not getting into surf stance.

some times, when i put my foot foward and stroke hard, if the time isnt right, the nose of the boar goes under water.

If i not put the foot foward, the nose of the board stays up, and the wave goes alone under me.

only one solutions...go out as many times as possible!!!

Thanks a lot guys

If it isn't steep I often take off with feet in the normal paddling position....then swap to surf stance as soon as i feel the board catch....whatever works. You'll know when you have it sussed when you don't need to put in loads of effort to get the board moving on the wave. 

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
hey nacho!

in a word:
Yes
there is a huge difference between the 9'6 and the 8'11. Light years. The 9'6 was great for me at 114 kg.
Now I weigh 97 kg... but in full winter gear... all wet and full of water, it is more like 106 kg

I believe that you will find the 8'11 doable. My 8'10 had 145 liters... the new 8'11 has 150 liters. It has more float, but possibly a bit less stable because they pulled in the nose a bit. It will mostly depend on your increased ability as far as stability. You may want to consider the 9'1 and go down gradually. Try to find one to demo.

I know that if I was 110 kg... I could ride the 8'11 with no issues.... so the board can do it... just depends where you are in your progression.

As far as catching waves on any shorter board... it's all technique and timing. I always face the direction I want to go, turned out to sea. When a set approaches, I begin to paddle into position. I paddle across the wave line and slowly turn into the wave direction just as it approaches. I NEVER change paddle sides, that is where a smaller board will bog down just as the wave gets to you. If you time your arc properly, you will be angled slightly in your chosen direction right at takeoff time. Paddle smoothly and firmly... don't flail or over lean into it.

If you watch my 8'10 Allwave video closely... you will see the direction and arc that I paddle and never change paddle sides... and you can hear from my breathing, that I am putting in full effort. the vid really shows the route I take on most of the waves. My feet almost always switch to surf stance as I line up for the wave
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=23128.0

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
hi there!!!! thanks angain Creek!

I saw the video and read all the post again. The conditions in it are perfect to me. Here is more choppy and windy. Most of the good waves here are in winter.

Saw the technique, the same i use, improving every time.

So the 8´11 is that much better in the waves than my 9´6. That is a reality.

I must say, that most of all i´m a bit nervous or affraid.

Yesterday i have a great session, It was semi choppy, windy (12-15 mph) waves just a little overhead with biggers set coming sometimes.

That is what i´m affraid, yesterday it was so much fun, so forgiving in my 9´6, that i think going smaller is more going to be stress than fun.

I friend of mine i thinks hes going to buy the 9´1, so will try it and decide then..until now, 9´6 ALLWAVE all the  way!!!

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
well well well MORE doubts in the horizon!!

This past weekend i demo an old Naish 9´6 Quad. (its 29 1/2 width) i think its 150 lt or less.

WOOOOOWWWW WHAT A DIFERENCE FOR SURFING!!! faster, lighter, could move it all around the wave doing cutbacks, up and down, accelerating in the wave. Lot of waves. Facing the ocean i could turn it arround in a dime when a quick wave appear. Very easy to pick up waves. Really stocked the way that board surf, more like a short board than a SUP or longboard style.

Must say that the conditions where perfect, no wind, 4-6 foot clean glassy waves.

On january i was Kg 110, started a diet, and now i´m 85KG!!!! very happy and stocked.

Now: the downsizing topic.

Here i could put my hands on: ALLWAVE, PROWAVE, Naish Hokua and maybe an other brands like Paddle Boards Hawaii and MAKOA SUP

I will demo all i can before i make the choise (my friend bought a AW 8´11 that doen´t arrive yet and think could put my hands on the others brands)

My question now is, ALLWAVE 8´11 vs PROWAVE 9´6 anyone try both? Creek? Jimyk?

Thank to all

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
I've ridden the PW 9'6 and I'll let creek talk about the AW 8'11 He waiting for his PW 9'6 HRS

The AW is an everyday board so comparing it to classic conditions alot of boards would be its equal. But on those marginal to crappy days I haven't found anything that hold a candle to an AW (properly sized)

that being said the PW is the flip side to the AW when conditions pick up the PW 9'6 rocks if you ride it aggressively If you want a stand and cruise the PW isn;t the call. However the PW for an ultra high performance board is amazingly stable (that is coming from a BIG boy 6'1 285#) So n those big days with corresponding side chop or in smooth condition the PW is the call. Fanatics thinking is they have an everyday design (AW) So in the design development of the PW the shapers could focus on a high performance board in high performance condition and the PW does it!

If you have other questions on either pop me a pm or email
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
Well I know it doesn't help you now, but I will be getting both an 8'11" Allwave and 9'6" Prowave from JimK hopefully sometime in April (I'm hoping mid to late). As soon as they arrive and I can take them both out, I will be writing up a review.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Wow nacho!!!!
You gave up nacho's ;D
Dude.... you lost 25 K? That's frickin' awesome! Nice work!

That opens a lot of doors in your search.... smaller, more surfy shapes are coming your way!

Like Jim and Lunchbox have said...we won't get the Prowaves for a bit... so no word on them yet.

BUT... at 85 kg..... you could easily ride the 8'6 Allwave, or a shorter Prowave (than 9'6)

The Naishes are nice, and I love my Mana in small stuff... but I personally trust my Fanatic HRS construction more, when the waves are crunchy.

Man... at 85 kg..... you have lots of choices.... have fun and let us know what you get!

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 07:48:42 AM »
As winter approach, time is on my side, i think the SUPs available rigth now here in Uruguay will be available for a while.

There is a Naish Hokua 9´6 2014 for USD 2150 and all the Fanatics (AW and PW)

As it will be my only board, i need something that i could use in a wide range of conditions.

Basically the best conditions we have here is max of 6 foot with 12 sec period, everytime the forecast shows 4 foot and more than 8 sec period i will go out to search that wave.

A little chop with side winds (16mph) is the norm.

I know it will take a while, before i´m one with the board, but the other day i saw a guy in a naish 8´5 in perfect glassy conditions and although he was very expirienced, i notice he had to focus on balance.

jeje, maybe the problem is that i what everything. More surfy but forgiving! jejeje

I don´t know how the smaller boards work for standing still in some choppy conditions and must say i´m a little afraid of loosing the fun and relax thing for a lot of time in search of more surfability.

I think that in the end its going to be between PW 9´6 and the Hokua 9´6.

When the AW 8´11 arrives i will demo them for sure and maybe i could put my hands on a PW.

I let you know, till then..good waves for everyone!!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
you might also consider the naish x32 hokua if you can get it/afford it.  I found this board to be very stable and also extremely maneuverable on the wave.  I haven't tried the AW or PW, so I can't draw comparisons.

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fanatic PW 9.´6 VS Naish Hokua 9´6
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 07:58:11 AM »
Just spoke to one of the Uruguayan dealers and he is arriving next week!!!

From him i could buy a Fanatic Prowave 9´6.

From an other dealer i could buy a Naish Hokua 9´6

Both accept my AW as part of the deal at the same price, difference between Naish & PW is USD 600 aprox

No demo available!! No review for  the PW, just one week to decide!!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG

If some don´t rigth tell me rigth now that there is a great difference betweem them that really worth usd 600, i will follow the FANATIC guru STC.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal