Author Topic: twin-fins-or-more-on-a-race-board/so it begins  (Read 138794 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: twin-fins-or-more-on-a-race-board/so it begins
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
Has the multi-fin concept found increased traction?

if a mainstream brand like infinity has gone to production boards with the concept, it's safe to say it found increased traction IMO
Below are some pics of this setup on a new SIC FX.

I've been playing around with few fin setups (different from the pics) and it substantially improved tracking and stability
over the stock SIC 8.3 fin, even with just the 2 4x11 inch twin fins. What also made a world of difference to me was the fact that
it's now possible for me to launch the board on low tide due-to the reduced fin height.

Hello!
I saw in the pics that you have a red and a blue insert at the same time. What is the purpose of different cants? 0° and 4° (I think). DOes that actually work? I have 0° on both sides and it works great because the tailpart is flat. Just wondering....
Henrik F

That was just for testing purposes. Nothing to it
in progress...

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
Just wondering how this might work with the new Starboard All Star. Combining its big concave that is mean to compress and accelerate the water with a twin

Any one out there have one and feel like playing?

SUP407

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
In my experience, twins and triples are slower on race boards. I tried every combination of sizes with one of the ProBox setups and in the end GPS speeds were always faster with just a single fun. However, the stability of the triple setup was awesome. So, depending on conditions, might be faster overall if you are able to avoid falling, if the conditions are rougher.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
In my experience, twins and triples are slower on race boards. I tried every combination of sizes with one of the ProBox setups and in the end GPS speeds were always faster with just a single fun. However, the stability of the triple setup was awesome. So, depending on conditions, might be faster overall if you are able to avoid falling, if the conditions are rougher.

You must be referring to the El Camino right? I think Larry has some new fins to address it.
BTW, in your tests what was the speed difference between the twins and single fin setups?
Just wanted to compare as I experienced the same thing with some of my setups.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »
I am having my 14x25 Eradicator modified for twin fins as we speak so hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to tell.

The smaller ones (Stealth), are the fins that will go with the board :-)

Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2016, 03:52:25 AM »
" However, the stability of the triple setup was awesome. So, depending on conditions, might be faster overall if you are able to avoid falling, if the conditions are rougher.

Enough additional stability added by the triples to go down an inch or two in board width? Was this experienced with several boards? Did the board design have a relativly narrower tail? Just wondering as there seems to be movement towards fuller nose and wide tails to bring down overall width and still maintain stability.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »
Enough additional stability added by the triples to go down an inch or two in board width? Was this experienced with several boards? Did the board design have a relativly narrower tail?

Yes, from my experience and what I've been reading, this setup will compensate on a lose of a 2 inch in overall board width.
When I ordered my 12'6/27" board I was very cautious as I was coming down from 32" width. The main reason for that width
is I'm also using this board as a touring board and loading an extra 30+ pounds on it.

If I were to use this board as racing/workout board only, I would go down to 25" without hesitation.
Just for reference, the width of the tail is about 8 inch, so it's quite narrow.

As mentioned before by kayadog, this setup will really shine when the water becomes rougher (heavy side chop, currents, boat wakes etc)
or when you carrying a lot of extra weight. calm Flat water and lakes, couldn't really tell the difference.
in progress...

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
I've been using a single fin more than trips lately. Interesting to look back on an older thread and re-read some comments, especially my own, to see how I felt a year ago. I don't think twins/trips are slower or faster than a single fin, I think there are a lot of variables that can affect overall speed. I now prefer trips in flat, calm water. For open water conditions where the water is moving a lot and the board is getting pushed around and the tail is being lifted a lot, I had trouble with the stealth trips setup. I think it was because when the tail was raised, the fins were slipping and the tail would get pushed around. A taller/larger center fin with the same side fins would help this but I started to just run a single fin and found that I liked it better. I also prefer a single fin over trips if I'm going to surf my raceboard. Just feels looser and less locked in than with the trips. Don't get me wrong, I still really love the stealth triple setup, just a certain time and place for it. It definitely creates a wake that is harder to draft than a single fin.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
Kayadog, have you tried surfing your board as a twin with the flats facing inward?  On my board, flipping the fins increases the toe, and the board loosens up significantly.  Of course for any distance and tracking the fins need to be flat's-out.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
> As mentioned before by kayadog, this setup will really shine when the water becomes rougher (heavy side chop, currents, boat wakes etc)<
>For open water conditions where the water is moving a lot and the board is getting pushed around and the tail is being lifted a lot, I had trouble with the stealth trips setup. I think it was because when the tail was raised, the fins were slipping and the tail would get pushed around. A taller/larger center fin with the same side fins would help this but I started to just run a single fin and found that I liked it better.<

I am wondering if the combination of the size/type of the side fins and the board itself have anything to do with the two opposite statements.
According to Larry, the Stealth have less depth and are supposed to be flat water speed oriented but Larry Allison was also showing large half-moon sides that are supposed to be the one bringing stability in rough water.

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »

if a mainstream brand like infinity has gone to production boards with the concept, it's safe to say it found increased traction IMO

I've been playing around with few fin setups (different from the pics) and it substantially improved tracking and stability
over the stock SIC 8.3 fin, even with just the 2 4x11 inch twin fins. What also made a world of difference to me was the fact that
it's now possible for me to launch the board on low tide due-to the reduced fin height.

Hello!
I saw in the pics that you have a red and a blue insert at the same time. What is the purpose of different cants? 0° and 4° (I think). DOes that actually work? I have 0° on both sides and it works great because the tailpart is flat. Just wondering....
Henrik F

Hi Henrik, The different Canted inserts are different "Cants"yes,  but the fins are not Canted. The bottom on that custom board has a slight different roll from shaping. One side is off to the other, which is why 2 different Canted inserts are used to make the Probox Twins set straight upright to match each other. Another great feature of Probox Finsystems. You would be amazed how many boards have their fins at different cants with no one every saying anything and they would wonder why their board pulls more on one side to another. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »

Hello!
Henrik F

Hi Henrik, The different Canted inserts are different "Cants"yes,  but the fins are not Canted. The bottom on that custom board has a slight different roll from shaping. One side is off to the other, which is why 2 different Canted inserts are used to make the Probox Twins set straight upright to match each other. Another great feature of Probox Finsystems. You would be amazed how many boards have their fins at different cants with no one every saying anything and they would wonder why their board pulls more on one side to another. Mahalo, Larry
Thanks for the info Larry!
crosswater.se

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
Another happy rider on a Kings Board with Allison Race Probox Twins. Here's alittle write up Shonna did on her Facebook page. Mahalo, Larry

Shonna Litton Brown Review of Allison Probox Race Twins:
March 3 ·
 Great paddle trying out the new @lafins. Stabilized my board so much I can paddle standing on one leg (flamingo style)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:30:23 AM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
I've been using a single fin more than trips lately. Interesting to look back on an older thread and re-read some comments, especially my own, to see how I felt a year ago. I don't think twins/trips are slower or faster than a single fin, I think there are a lot of variables that can affect overall speed. I now prefer trips in flat, calm water. For open water conditions where the water is moving a lot and the board is getting pushed around and the tail is being lifted a lot, I had trouble with the stealth trips setup. I think it was because when the tail was raised, the fins were slipping and the tail would get pushed around. A taller/larger center fin with the same side fins would help this but I started to just run a single fin and found that I liked it better. I also prefer a single fin over trips if I'm going to surf my raceboard. Just feels looser and less locked in than with the trips. Don't get me wrong, I still really love the stealth triple setup, just a certain time and place for it. It definitely creates a wake that is harder to draft than a single fin.

kayadogg, Your slipping is to small fins for sure along with the center kick fin that flexs small. Like in this pic.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:02:43 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal