Author Topic: My first SUP-camping overnighter  (Read 5576 times)

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
My first SUP-camping overnighter
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
Finally found the time to do the Assateague Island National Seashore overnighter that I've been wanting to do.  Winds there can be notorious, and they made things very tough for me as I had stiff headwinds both days.  The second day was a small-craft advisory with 20+ mph winds that forced me to deploy my emergency kayak paddle at times to make progress.  It was tough but fun.  This was more fun than I imagined and now I'm scouring Google maps looking for other options to cross a body of water and camp, the more remote the better!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:03:09 PM by esskay1000 »
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: My first SUP-camping overnighter
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
I'm curious as to what equipment you took. You clearly had a lot and were able to fit it all on that NSP board.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
I'm curious as to what equipment you took. You clearly had a lot and were able to fit it all on that NSP board.

Yeah I had more than ideal but I prepare for the worst.  It's late November, temps in the high 40s for the day and 30s overnight, so I needed versatile and warm clothing options.  Plus there's no freshwater available at Assateague backcountry sites so you have to bring plenty.  Funny enough, my tent and sleeping bag are ultralite, it was the "what-if" items like extra layers etc that made my load kinda big.  My gear looks huge in those drybags but I only had about 25lbs, it was mostly light stuff.  My NSP 11' is a beast, can float up to 250+ and I only weigh 165 so no worries there.  I can bring a weeks worth of camping gear on that thing!
Just.  Get.  Out.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
What kind of tent and sleeping bag were they? I'm curious because I want to try some of that myself next summer.

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
What kind of tent and sleeping bag were they? I'm curious because I want to try some of that myself next summer.

I have a Eureka Solitaire tent, it's basically a bivy with a bit more space but it's minimalist.  Not as light as "ultra-light camping crowd-standards", but weighs in at 3.25 pounds.  Not too bad.  My sleeping bag is a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite 20 degree bag, weighs 2lbs even.  It's expensive, but they make the best and lightest down bags on the market.  Only Feathered Friends bags compare.  So with my super-light Thermarest, my entire sleeping setup is about 5.5 lbs, not bad.
Just.  Get.  Out.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
Thank you!

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
Esskay

Beast?  I call my 11'6" NSP my 'Aircraft Carrier'.  When I started SUPin I weighed 250 and nothing less would do...  Now I'm 210 and thinkin' about something (perhaps) a little bit shorter...

Stoked for life (yeah, Wardog, I got that from you....)
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
Ahhhh.... that fire looks nice :D
Great doins'... looks like a blast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal